Music City 2018

Getting this thread going for next year for my hometown corps.

Music City is looking for a full time director who lives in Nashville. I wonder if one of the dci alums in the city teaching elite BOA bands might be a good way to go. 

Unrelated: A parent of a Music City guard member told me she thought the corps was trying to move up to World Class next year. That seems risky, while bringing in a brand new director in the offseason. If they do move up, would they become the owner of the Nashville TOC show from a host and revenue standpoint?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Getting this thread going for next year for my hometown corps.

Music City is looking for a full time director who lives in Nashville. I wonder if one of the dci alums in the city teaching elite BOA bands might be a good way to go. 

Unrelated: A parent of a Music City guard member told me she thought the corps was trying to move up to World Class next year. That seems risky, while bringing in a brand new director in the offseason. If they do move up, would they become the owner of the Nashville TOC show from a host and revenue standpoint?

From what I understand they are trying to upgrade to someone who can be more involved and present year round for the organization.  It was announced before the season that they were under evaluation for World Class promotion, I am guessing this came up during that evaluation and they are hiring accordingly as a result.   

And even if they don't get promoted I am sure the process probably highlights and lets you know what you need to strengthen as an organization to move towards that status.   

They took a huge leap forward this year on the field and in their expanded tour.   They certainly perform and present like a World Class corps now.  And if they're strong and improving themselves on the internal side of things I would LOVE to see them move up in the coming years.   

• Like 6

That seems very risky! Especially if they are currently seeking out a full time director! If world class is the goal, it will eventually happen in due time. They are doing very well in open class and have the respect of not only those in that division; but world class, as well.
World class is the goal of many corps; however, I've seen many corps move up when they shouldn't have or weren't 100% ready for the long haul and all that came with being in that division. Sooner or not much later, they would fold.
All good things come to those who wait! 

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

From what I understand they are trying to upgrade to someone who can be more involved and present year round for the organization.  It was announced before the season that they were under evaluation for World Class promotion, I am guessing this came up during that evaluation and they are hiring accordingly as a result.   

And even if they don't get promoted I am sure the process probably highlights and lets you know what you need to strengthen as an organization to move towards that status.   

They took a huge leap forward this year on the field and in their expanded tour.   They certainly perform and present like a World Class corps now.  And if they're strong and improving themselves on the internal side of things I would LOVE to see them move up in the coming years.   

They felt as though Legends were sort of their rival. But the near collapse of that corps mid tour has to put a chill on any talk of moving up. I don't know what their financials are, they may be better off than I think, but Nashville is a unique city and music is not really something that is easy to get corporations to rally around. Music is literally everywhere in this town. Having a world class corps just isn't as unique and important as it would be in Akron, Allentown or Charlotte.

I would guess, honestly, that most nashvillians don't even know Music City exists.

Edited by MikeRapp

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I would guess, honestly, that most nashvillians don't even know Music City exists.

You could say this about most corps from metropolitan areas. I guarantee 90% or more of the people in Denver have no idea who the Blue Knights are (nobody there even knew when the Rapids won the MLS cup in 2010, many didn't even know Denver had a professional soccer team). Obviously, this lack of recognition doesn't keep the Blue Knights from being successful.

I would bet everyone in Casper knows of the Troopers, though.

Hmmm - I'm not following all the reasoning here, but Keith Hall, the founder and non-paid executive director will still be on the Board of Directors but . . . well, I'll just put the exact words from their FB page, which, by the way, doesn't say that the new ED will have to be from Nashville, but will need to live in Nashville in the future.  I think this bodes well for the corps.

"Music City Drum Corps is excited to announce that the corps seeks to fill a full-time executive director position as soon as possible. Keith Hall, current volunteer director/board member/founder is stepping down as part of the organization’s plan for future growth. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications. It will be necessary for the person selected to reside in the Nashville area in the future. Interested applicants are asked to send an email expressing their interest to director@MusicCityDrumCorps.org as soon as possible. Please include a resume. The search will continue until the position is filled.

Music City also invites you to let us know if you are interested in serving on our staff in another role. And if you know someone you believe to be qualified for the director position, please let them know about this opportunity. Thanks in advance for helping us spread the word."

• Like 5

Keith runs The Band Hall as his full-time job. If he wants to focus more time on that, more power to him! I trust Music City to find a worthy candidate to supplant him.

Back in the early 80's Bluecoats were on the verge of folding, at one point being down to like 5 members.  A dedicated group of parents & supporters started to work to bring the corps back - by 1987 they were finalists, and have remained so (save once) ever since.

So what is the point w/r/t Music City?  The individual who served as Bluecoats director (who was also a parent) was someone who said he knew nothing about music or the technical / performance side of Drum Corps.  But what he did know was business, and how to grow a brand - which is really what you need (IMHO) when an organization grows.  Music City should hire someone who can run the Organization as a business.  Build a good foundation.  Hire the right instructors.   Someone who can keep an eye on the books, and not go on the road with 140 kids if the money is going to run out while they are on the road.  Someone who can and will say "No, we can't afford that".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shofmon88 said:

You could say this about most corps from metropolitan areas. I guarantee 90% or more of the people in Denver have no idea who the Blue Knights are (nobody there even knew when the Rapids won the MLS cup in 2010, many didn't even know Denver had a professional soccer team). Obviously, this lack of recognition doesn't keep the Blue Knights from being successful.

I would bet everyone in Casper knows of the Troopers, though.

Similarly, I imagine most likely everyone in Rockford has at least heard of Phantom Regiment.