Music City 2018

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

In m opinion, the way to go here is to get as many Nashville-area dci world class alums on the board as possible. There are many. We have some big, powerful high schools here, especially in Williamson County. The band directors here work their kids almost as hard as a world class corps. Having a true world class corps here would be a huge benefit for area schools, which are always struggling to keep music relevant in education.

I had asked this earlier and no one answered: If Music City does move to world class, do they own the Nashville show as other world class corps do? It would be pretty difficult for them to make it financially without a true home town event.

Most of us will recall that it was only 4 years ago that MCDC made their first semi finals appearance, while at the same time, coming close to going dark. Fortunately there was enough support for continuing in DCI. And, fortunately so, because Music City is truly a class act in the drum corps world. They have proven to be a magnet for members, often reaching 400+ at their audition camps and always fielding a full corps. This season, you can tell this corps is on the precipice of moving up in the competitive ranks.

Whether or not the revenue making ability can satisfy the competitive spirit, that remains to be seen. I would hope that Nashville, a  thriving city, full of musicallly-minded entrepreneurs, would be able to come up with a winning formula that can really bring this corps into dominance. In some respect, I'm a little surprised this hasn't happened already. Music City is one corps that, under the right circumstance, could be a finalist contender soon, providing the right pieces come together.

• Like 4

On 8/13/2017 at 5:13 PM, shofmon88 said:

You could say this about most corps from metropolitan areas. I guarantee 90% or more of the people in Denver have no idea who the Blue Knights are (nobody there even knew when the Rapids won the MLS cup in 2010, many didn't even know Denver had a professional soccer team). Obviously, this lack of recognition doesn't keep the Blue Knights from being successful.

I would bet everyone in Casper knows of the Troopers, though.

I'll take that bet.  In Casper the people who have no idea far outweigh those who do. Of those who do, the jury is out regarding where they fall in the caring continuum. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daave said:

I'll take that bet.  In Casper the people who have no idea far outweigh those who do. Of those who do, the jury is out regarding where they fall in the caring continuum. 

That's rather unfortunate to hear. Given how small and incredibly isolated Casper is, this surprises me. 

3 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Most of us will recall that it was only 4 years ago that MCDC made their first semi finals appearance, while at the same time, coming close to going dark. Fortunately there was enough support for continuing in DCI. And, fortunately so, because Music City is truly a class act in the drum corps world. They have proven to be a magnet for members, often reaching 400+ at their audition camps and always fielding a full corps. This season, you can tell this corps is on the precipice of moving up in the competitive ranks.

Whether or not the revenue making ability can satisfy the competitive spirit, that remains to be seen. I would hope that Nashville, a  thriving city, full of musicallly-minded entrepreneurs, would be able to come up with a winning formula that can really bring this corps into dominance. In some respect, I'm a little surprised this hasn't happened already. Music City is one corps that, under the right circumstance, could be a finalist contender soon, providing the right pieces come together.

The problem is that music education is very, very, very low on the list of priorities in the state of Tennessee, and band programs are getting cut left and right in order to fund athletics. Business leaders and sponsors don't really discern the difference between band and drum corps (although, come to think of it, neither do I anymore), because neither is really a part of the culture here the way it is in the midwest.    Today, outside of actual band students and their families, hardly anyone in Tennessee even knows drum corps exists, despite the state fielding at least 5 corps since the 60s.  And most band directors here are still hostile towards drum corps, even at the college level (primarily because the tour interferes with band camps).

There's also the problem of Tennessee's business leaders practicing the "Good Ole Boy" system; "I'll scratch your back if you're related to me, or if we're friends, or if you know someone who already scratches my back".  Other than a tax break, they just don't feel like there's a lot that a non-profit marching band can offer them to make it worth their while.  That said, all credit to Music City for overcoming a ton of obstacles and doing what practically everyone in Tennessee said was impossible for 30 years.

Having read the previous posts about the probable lack of interest/knowledge for drum corps in Tennessee, I have personal facts that may be encouraging.  I was a middle school and high school choir director and class guitar teacher for 15 years.  Then I got nodules on my vocal cords and had to find another means of supporting myself.  I loved working with young people, especially the bright, energetic young people who are typically involved in music.  I was a band kid in high school and college and have gotten teary eyed every time I see a marching band in a parade.  I taught in Delaware in the 70's and that was where I heard my first drum corps at a competition in the Philadelphia area - I still remember being blown away by the Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment from that time.

Fast forward to 2016.  I was totally out of the band circuit and didn't even know that drum corps was still alive and well.  Then, right before the 2016 tour started, I saw a segment on Music City on Channel 5 news.  I got so excited because I didn't know we had a drum corps in Nashville and they looked really good!  I got online and started googling everything I could about drum corps and spent many hours on YouTube getting more and more excited.  I went to the Music City dress rehearsal and have followed them faithfully ever since, contributing some money and a lot of prayer for their 2017 season.  Channel 5 did another segment on them before the Vanderbilt show last year and again this year on their "Talk of the Town" show.  So unlike some other places mentioned in this thread, there is some good news coverage for Music City in Nashville.

I think MikeRapp mentioned that the Nashville area, including Brentwood, Franklin, etc. have big, healthy band programs and WGI's gold medal winning Music City Mystique's home is here and they have groups that play before Predators and Titans games.  Music City has led the opening parade for the huge Country Music Association week several times.  The Vanderbilt show was not only sold out, it was a very loud and enthusiastic crowd full of people who are very drum corps savvy. 

I learned this year how important it is to have plenty of corps members from nearby areas because parent volunteers are so vital to the success of the corps. Music City had a healthy group of local talent this year.  SO - be of good cheer!  I think this has all the signs of working and flourishing.  Let's all wish them well - it will be great for drum corps.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

They have proven to be a magnet for members, often reaching 400+ at their audition camps and always fielding a full corps. 

If they are drawing 400+, then they should start a feeder unit, something like BDC (or perhaps a bit older) that teaches fundamentals, does lots of local performances, maybe a few contests.  Also maybe after they are established & the 'A' corps is World Class start doing limited Open class tour If (& ONLY IF) finances allow.