Pioneer 2018

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Starting a thread because they need one too.

As I have suggested before - they could really move up with a show called "The Troubles:  West Belfast Story"

Music of Bernstein? Lol. Good luck with securing rights to that. 

Edited by Brian Tuma

Just now, BoaDci said:

Please.  Judges please reward the smartest financial corps.  I desperately want them to make semifinals.

-BoaDci

Ok.  I've never heard Pioneer described as, "the smartest financial corps."  What about their operation is financially smart?  I'm not contesting, but I know nothing about the corps other than they can't dig themselves out of last place in World Class.  If they've got something figured out I'd love to celebrate it.

11 hours ago, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

What about their operation is financially smart?

I would use the word 'wise'.  They stay in the financial black even if it means staying on the lower end of the competition field. You will never see them go $300,000 in debt in the name of, "Top 12; it is for the kids!" like the Glassmen, or stranding kids out on the road and folding like Teal, or see them make horrible financial decisions like some corps that currently beat them competitively. That is being wise.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

I said after prelims, and I know I'm not alone in this, that Pioneer was underscored this past year in Indy. Pioneer received almost identical scores in Allentown and Indy. As someone who saw both shows, Allentown was good but Indy was stronger. I would have thought the higher 60's would have been appropriate. 

If Pioneer were to ask me for advice, I'd suggest a show with real Irish step dancing. Maybe there could be another Riverdance show or other Bill Whelan music and incorporate Irish step dancing. It's been a while so revisiting it could be fresh. I follow a group on Facebook called Fusion Fighters, most of the kids are teens, early 20's and they perform usung the traditional steps with a contemporary feel. I think it could be great. I'd love to see some of what they do incorporated into a drum corps show. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Please.  Judges please reward the smartest financial corps.  I desperately want them to make semifinals.

-BoaDci

They did. The smartest corps financially just won World Class.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Music of Bernstein? Lol. Good luck with securing rights to that. 

William Mason High School's marching band two years ago did a brilliant job of conveying the moods of West Side Story while only using one song from that musical: "Somewhere" (also the title of their show, I think) as the opener and closer. In between they played Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, "Mars" from Holst's The Planets, "A Time for Us" from Rota's Romeo and Juliet, and the finale from Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 4, conveying the themes of youth, conflict, love, and fate, respectively. No narration and no real story, just four set pieces. If it can be done with one Bernstein song, it can be done with none.