Pioneer 2018

10 hours ago, Tim K said:

If Pioneer were to ask me for advice, I'd suggest a show with real Irish step dancing. Maybe there could be another Riverdance show or other Bill Whelan music and incorporate Irish step dancing. It's been a while so revisiting it could be fresh. I follow a group on Facebook called Fusion Fighters, most of the kids are teens, early 20's and they perform usung the traditional steps with a contemporary feel. I think it could be great. I'd love to see some of what they do incorporated into a drum corps show. 

The marching band of the high school I attended did step dancing in a Riverdance show about fifteen years after I graduated. The guard brought out lots of wooden platforms so the steps could be heard.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Some interesting conversation here....I have heard many times that they need to dispense with the Irish for various reasons? I wonder how doing a full out Irish should might impact recruiting. If nothing else, they need a full drum corps!

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

I said after prelims, and I know I'm not alone in this, that Pioneer was underscored this past year in Indy. Pioneer received almost identical scores in Allentown and Indy. As someone who saw both shows, Allentown was good but Indy was stronger. I would have thought the higher 60's would have been appropriate.

My guess is this had more to do with the prior-performing/scored Open Class corps being stronger than expected less than Pioneer performing any worse in the judges' estimations from Allentown to Indy. There was a strong Open Class field in the mix this season that simply displaced several WC corps.

Pioneer could pull of a field version of "The Hangover."  That has strong Irish themes.

The Irish themes are a newer theme for them the last couple decades. I remember them back in the 70's and early 80's and they did a variety of shows that had nothing to do with being Irish.

I think they need to lose the Irish already. Just MHO

Edited by shawn craig
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cmchandler said:

My guess is this had more to do with the prior-performing/scored Open Class corps being stronger than expected less than Pioneer performing any worse in the judges' estimations from Allentown to Indy. There was a strong Open Class field in the mix this season that simply displaced several WC corps.

I'm not sure the performance order played that much of a role. For one thing, there is an intermission between OC and WC at prelims. Also, I did not say that they should have placed higher, but the score should have been higher, a bit closer to Guardians, who I also believe was under scored. 

I think the big thing for Pio is not so much in the show design but in changing the perception that they are the stepping stone to higher ranking corps.  It seems like they have to rebuild every year.  Imagine what would happen if all the kids who are not aging out didn't head out to Phantom or Cadets etc. but stayed and built Pioneer. What would that look like? Somehow they have to change that perception with their first and second year vets.

I agree about the score at Indy - I had them in the high 60's too. It wouldn't have made a difference in terms of moving on but the hard work and improvement should have been acknowledged IMHO.

Take a look at the Pio scores throughout the season. They were the only corps to stagnate for several nights in a row in shows in which the kids and staff felt the program and performance level was higher that previous. The corps spent the last week or so stuck at a 65 with judges scoring significant variations within subcaptions, some the same judges!

Add to that, many shows where they were the farthest from the show site of any group in the contest, performing first based on last seasons scores. Not having one chance to perform at any encore at all this season, etc. 

Edited by cdave
edited
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Tim K said:

I'm not sure the performance order played that much of a role. For one thing, there is an intermission between OC and WC at prelims. Also, I did not say that they should have placed higher, but the score should have been higher, a bit closer to Guardians, who I also believe was under scored. 

I should have been more specific. What I'm basically saying is that the judges were likely slotting the Open Class corps with lower scores but then several of them outplayed Pioneer, which made Pio's score lower than it probably would have been without those corps in the mix.

21 hours ago, Sideways said:

Pioneer could pull of a field version of "The Hangover."  That has strong Irish themes.

ouch..ouch... ouch... stereotype much ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2