Pioneer 2018

32 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

What is their mission? If their mission is to be a teaching corps, and give every kid with the desire, regardless of experience, a chance to do a world class tour, then I think they are fulfilling it.

This is also informative in what it does and does not say.

Two of the board members are also on the administrative team. There goes any accountability! No biographies of any board members. It gives the impression of being very insular. They need to modernize their BoD before anything else. 

https://pioneer-corps.org/staff/administration.html

Edited by Brian Tuma
Link

A couple of things from my perspective/experience.

1. Pioneer works really hard at spending their money wisely. The corps director, Roman Blenski II, has worked very hard at building close relationships and deals with businesses and organizations to get discounts on stuff like food, or even receiving free edible food that businesses can't legally sell anymore. During spring training, we house at a school that the corps has been at for a very long time as the corps has an agreement with the school. Then we take a 5 minute bus travel to Pioneerland, a 7 acre property, where we rehearse. This facility and the school save the corps some money and gives the corps the ability to do whatever they want as it's their own land. So, Pioneer rents/leases off some parking spots at Pioneerland, which brings in a guaranteed amount of income for however long the renting/leases last. The corps will even sometimes let other corps (almost all DCA) house at Pioneerland when Pioneer isn't in the Milwaukee area. Roman knows that spending some good, and wisely spent, money on the members and staff are very important for making sure members are happy and positive. Like canoeing and Summerfest (which they get in for free since they perform there annually).

2. The corps truly lives by their motto, "Better Every Day." Whether it's fractionally or exponentially, they get better every day. Member are proud to wear their uniform and don't care about what negative things people think of them. They push on every single day and are proud of their show and their corps.

3. Pioneer going to church every Sunday (when it's possible and logistical) gives members a break for 2 hours from rehearsal. I remember vividly waking up every Sunday in 2016 and realizing we are going to church. Plus the brassline sometimes performs in churches, which gives communities free entertainment and lets us show themselves to more people. Plus some churches they go have some very interesting and fun services. Plus they sometimes get free food and coffee.

4. Yes, the corps has some issues. As does every single other corps that has ever existed. It's just how it is. The corps is looking to modernizing, but of course, even though the corps is smart with their money, Pioneer doesn't have $100K laying around or anything like that. Yes, the corps probably has an emergency fund, but that isn't to be used unless there is an emergency or the corps is completely stuck in a pickle. Pioneer's alumni are currently discussing how they can help the corps. Such as finding a way to form a good social media team and helping recruit members. Times are changing in the drum corps world every fast. Even for corps like Pioneer. It will just take some time and experimenting.

5. DCI's social media team is very good at featuring the high scoring open class and world class corps, but really only gives lower scoring open and world class corps some "air time" and social media presence. While things are getting better. DCI themselves aren't very good yet at being equal to ALL corps on their social media accounts. To clarify, Pioneer isn't the only one who gets pushed to the side in DCI's social media presence, but they surely seem to not get much activity at all besides the rare 2 minute YouTube video or a short Facebook post about them.

All that being said. I do have some strong opinions about Pioneer, and I want to see them grow and be a corps that corps will be afraid of (competitively).

Edited by TubaPresident
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

What about those that choose to be a member of the corps and aren't religious? Are they forced or pressured to go to Sunday service?

Simple, you you don't choose a corps that has this policy. Corps have all kinds of policies and practices and it is up to the individual marching as to whether or not they are comfortable with them and can abide with them. Also the "forced" component is protected by the Constitution. Using an example of a religious based school. In most cases it it considered discrimiation if a person of another religion is not accepted, with some exceptions. For example, Jewish rabbinical school training Rabbis can refuse to admit a Presbyterian because it is specific training for a religious group. A Buddhist child most likely would be accepted to a Catholic grammar school with no problem. The school can require the child to attend religious activities, it cannot force the child to participate. 

I have not talked with folks from Pioneer about this policy, but my understanding is that Pioneer tries to have Sunday mornings free for the option of going to church. This would lead me to believe nothing is forced, and would give the member the option to decide what church to attend if he/she desires. 

I thought pioneers show this year was better than what I had seen from them in the past. While I only saw it on Flo marching it had a good theme it was entertaining and was not above the ability of the marchers to perform it cleanly. A great improvement from what i had seen before. In the past I had seen a Pioneer show in Atlanta where it made no sense and really made it difficult for the marchers entertain the crowd (I imagine some changes were made and it just didn't flow that time in the season).  I believe that they have a policy of allowing anyone who is willing to put on time and effort march in the corps which is gives many people an opportunity to march who would not otherwise have that opportunity Which is a good thing. However I do think when you look at the corps some members are playing below their capabilities, They may be getting an better opportunity there,  since they can help the others and get some teaching and leadership experience in.I do think it is difficult to find a drill that facilitates members at such different levels.   I think good financial policies are a good thing, however a few years back I was in a parking lot when Pioneer drove in with 30 year old buses and 70 year old drivers, I understand saving money but after seeing that I would have some concerns about the members safety. (They may have gotten better buses since then). 

• Like 1

Church attendance is optional for both members and staff. They do play in services on some occasions, but I do not think it is mandatory. Thank you for the kind words about the show this year. In my first season with the corps in several years, I tried to create a show that would be entertaining but offer challenges to the membership and the judges. Some of those came out better than others :)

The kids are just wonderful in the organization and take daily challenges in stride, often with a smile on their faces. Of course, we do try to keep as many vets as possible and did have fairly good success with the brass and guard. That battery, however, was about 95% rookies. All of the sections came a long way during the summer!

I have many concerns with the judging, if I am being honest. This is not to take away from any other corps, regardless of class. I am working on some research to see if my concerns are worth taking up the ladder, but for the meantime I think it best to keep this to myself other than to say we are aware...

No doubt, Roman is in charge and has strong opinions about just about every aspect of the drum corps world, and his organization in general. It, I am sure, continues to be a challenge to strike a balance with his desires and what the activity seems to be moving towards. I hope you all will wish me luck finding a balance! I do enjoy working for him and his endless insight into the activity. When you consider that he ran DCM, DCI II/III and has directed a drum corps for over 56 years, his knowledge base runs pretty deep.

The elephant in the room however, is about recruiting. I think the corps needs to find new ways for recruiting so that we can establish the organization as a full size entity. We are already busy working on 2018, but a corps of 150 would, I feel, do wonders us. We are very hopeful that the cast of the 2017 program will all return to build upon the energy we created with Les Mis.....here's hoping!

If you are still of age, with a desire to march and work hard we would love to see you at a camp this year!

Dave

Pioneer Program Coordinator

• Like 7