I wonder if you might agree...

Beginning with the understanding that BD topped all this year, IMO, and I said so after seeing them in Pasadena...

...the farther down the rankings we went, the more I seemed to enjoy the show.  

Said the other way, up until BD, I was less and less interested in what was going on down on the field (and more distracted by the sheer number of seat poachers the ushers had to shoo away over three days of drum corps).

I'm very sorry we missed the first few on Thursday; taken in context those were the better shows to see (again, excluding BD).

It's probably my dino status, and I accept it if it is.  But I wonder if it might be an indication of something else, maybe in the development of program design of the down-placing corps, as a group.  Hmm...

Maybe the top producers create beyond me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Beginning with the understanding that BD topped all this year, IMO, and I said so after seeing them in Pasadena...

Said the other way, up until BD, I was less and less interested in what was going on down on the field (and more distracted by the sheer number of seat poachers the ushers had to shoo away over three days of drum corps).

I'm very sorry we missed the first few on Thursday; taken in context those were the better shows to see (again, excluding BD).

It's probably my dino status, and I accept it if it is.  But I wonder if it might be an indication of something else, maybe in the development of program design of the down-placing corps, as a group.  Hmm...

Can anyone translate?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

I generally agree with this and feel similar

After the mid-top 12 I was watching (and impressed) but not as "entertained" 

Then BD I LOVED

I believe it was just the way it worked out this year - not always the case

I great enjoyed many shows placing outside the top 12 as you did...

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

As a music composer and arranger, while there were some great musical 'moments' in the shows from 7th on up, the corps that provided enjoyment for me allowing for musical and melodic development to blossom throughout the 'entire' show was from corps like Crossmen, The Academy and lower placing corps.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, garfield said:

.....(and more distracted by the sheer number of seat poachers the ushers had to shoo away over three days of drum corps)....

The volunteer ushers, even at Semi-Finals, and even during the early performances (Spartans, etc), took their VOLUNTEER roles far too seriously.  75% of seats in 400 level were unoccupied even during Top 5 corps, yet the ushers refused entry.  I had an equally expensive ticket (barring the DCI Friends extortion payment that I refuse to pay), but wanted a deviation from my assigned seating, in order to get some variation of viewpoints.

As no entry/exit is allowed during performances, the risk is low of occupying someone else's seat.

Quite the power trip for people that were too cheap to buy tickets to the shows, and volunteered merely for the sake of saving price of admission.  So they allow a non-DCI friend into section.  What's worst that would happen?  The lose their UNPAID role?

If this is an example of the mindset of DCI (only top donors get even the basic access of purchase of premium tickets) it's no wonder there is such a discourse among long-time fans.

8 minutes ago, 90svet said:

The volunteer ushers, even at Semi-Finals, and even during the early performances (Spartans, etc), took their VOLUNTEER roles far too seriously.  75% of seats in 400 level were unoccupied even during Top 5 corps, yet the ushers refused entry.  I had an equally expensive ticket (barring the DCI Friends extortion payment that I refuse to pay), but wanted a deviation from my assigned seating, in order to get some variation of viewpoints.

As no entry/exit is allowed during performances, the risk is low of occupying someone else's seat.

Quite the power trip for people that were too cheap to buy tickets to the shows, and volunteered merely for the sake of saving price of admission.  So they allow a non-DCI friend into section.  What's worst that would happen?  The lose their UNPAID role?

If this is an example of the mindset of DCI (only top donors get even the basic access of purchase of premium tickets) it's no wonder there is such a discourse among long-time fans.

I suppose I can forgive you for derailing my thread because I made the reference in my post.

But you clearly don't understand the logic of a seat-pricing scheme such as Friends of DCI.

And you're wrong - the ushers were not only fabulous, but were also 99% made up of drum corps staff and Friends.

Start a new thread, or PM me, if you'd like a fuller explanation (from 33 years of experience in Friends) of how DCI uses those "center-center" seats.

"...basic access..." to premium seats?  This confirms you're not looking at it correctly.

• Like 1

I agree with the original post (with some deviations). I found plenty of Open Class shows riveting, and my enjoyment increased until peaking with the Mandarins. Then my enjoyment fell sharply, with the exceptions of Blue Knights and Boston Crusaders. But after Boston, I had no issues turning off the stream. I can respect some of those shows, like SCV, and I of course respect the marching members, but I didn't enjoy the shows near as much as many of the lower placing corps. 

56 minutes ago, 90svet said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter, but rather I'm chuckling as I read this. As one of those volunteers, I'd be happy to forgo my UNPAID role (and pink t-shirt) and return to purchasing seats in a friends section as I had for years. You can help. Sit in the assigned seat you paid for. The funniest part of your post is the "too cheap to buy tickets to save the price of admission." I volunteered for 5 days last week. The cost of hotel rooms, travel expenses, taking time off work, etc. are more than what I would have paid for quality seats at Lucas Oil. But you're right, after not seeing a single show for the first two and a half days because of my initial assignments, when serving as an "usher" I did get to see some of the shows - from a stairwell that allowed me to see the back half of the field and the scoreboard video feed.  

And now back to the original question of the thread. I think I agree. There were moments in every show that I enjoyed, but there were more moments for me in the "lower ranking" shows - especially some of the ballads.

Edited by mrk
  • Like 3