Keyboards and Vocalists and Bass Guitars ? Oh my !

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Carolina Crown's show was amazing this year, including the ballad from Wicked with the vocalist as the lead, and the closer "No One to Know One", where the volcaist was one part among many, not the featured performer. My appreciation for that number grew after I watched a Youtube video of the original work, and saw how Crown translated it to the field. 

But did you see the Finals? Crown's show was destroyed by electronics. The singer's wireless microphone cut in and out from the start, and then we had to endure that for another five minutes. That happened to Pioneer earlier this week, too - it totally wrecked their show, and just made the whole thing laughable.

I say get rid of wireless microphones altogether in DCI. Paying audiences deserved to hear a good show, not endure a sonic slaughterhouse caused by unreliable electronics.

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

Notice that I stated that they did 'not' use the actual lyrics of, "It's God D### Good!"  They left that out; and it is an extremely important part to understand the parody Bernstein was getting at in the song and the entire musical itself.  And my supposition is that since Natasha found the 'positive religious aspect' of the Cadets show so offensive it deserved to be walked out on, if the Cadets had belted out, 'It's God D### Good!" multiple times, loudly, with force, just like the actual song, that might not have been as offensive to Natasha.

They added in "And it was G-d-d*** good" mid-season. They only said it once per show, but they did use it.

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, drangin said:

But did you see the Finals? Crown's show was destroyed by electronics. The singer's wireless microphone cut in and out from the start, and then we had to endure that for another five minutes. That happened to Pioneer earlier this week, too - it totally wrecked their show, and just made the whole thing laughable.

I say get rid of wireless microphones altogether in DCI. Paying audiences deserved to hear a good show, not endure a sonic slaughterhouse caused by unreliable electronics.

Corps need ways to make their productions as foolproof as possible, but whatever is done it will never be 100%. Backup wireless mics, a wired mic placed on the sideline so the person can come up to it as a last resort...whatever. A couple of issues does not mean the use is bad, just that "stuff" happens.

Valves stick on solos...drumheads or sticks can break, mouthpieces can fall out, rifles can break, etc...lots of things can and have gone wrong.

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

Notice that I stated that they did 'not' use the actual lyrics of, "It's God D### Good!"  They left that out; and it is an extremely important part to understand the parody Bernstein was getting at in the song and the entire musical itself.  And my supposition is that since Natasha found the 'positive religious aspect' of the Cadets show so offensive it deserved to be walked out on, if the Cadets had belted out, 'It's God D### Good!" multiple times, loudly, with force, just like the actual song, that might not have been as offensive to Natasha.

oh no, they said God #### sir. very audible

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Corps need ways to make their productions as foolproof as possible, but whatever is done it will never be 100%. Backup wireless mics, a wired mic placed on the sideline so the person can come up to it as a last resort...whatever. A couple of issues does not mean the use is bad, just that "stuff" happens.

Valves stick on solos...drumheads or sticks can break, mouthpieces can fall out, rifles can break, etc...lots of things can and have gone wrong.

I can't ever recall hearing a soloist miss a note because of radio frequency interference or a low battery.

Until now....

Edited by Bobby L. Collins

51 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

They added in "And it was G-d-d*** good" mid-season. They only said it once per show, but they did use it.

39 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh no, they said God #### sir. very audible

I stand corrected and just went online to listen again; here is why I missed it: The arrangement of the lyrics are sung in a very choppy melodic rhythm, the mix in the indoor stadium, the tempo was sung way, way faster than the original especially as they get to the last g.d. good line; and they did not 'Shout It Out Loud And Strong' as in the original production.

Edited by Stu

23 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

The Cadets put on a caricature of the Mass.  Leonard Bernstein's Mass would never be celebrated in church for real.

I think caricature is the wrong word here... MASS is really a theatrical production based around the Catholic Mass exploring a generation facing a crisis of faith in the face of a darkening timeline (sound familiar?). The Cadets presented an interpretation of that production. MASS is not an accurate representation of the Catholic Mass, but rather uses it as the setting of its story and vehicle for its message.