Keyboards and Vocalists and Bass Guitars ? Oh my !

Hello all,

I am a newbie to DCI, since 2014, so be patient please.

Why is a Drum and Bugle Corps allowed to use Electric Keyboards, organ pedal tones specifically, Vocalists, Bass Guitars, or Drum Traps Sets when performing ?

It seems to me that this begins an alarming trend of replacing marching instruments on the field entirely, which appears to counter the concept of the brass ensemble, which I dearly love to hear on the field.

For example, Carolina Crown was wowing me again this year but then ended it for me when the "fat lady sang" for the last half of their performance.  Bluecoats were likewise "wowing" but the overuse of the Electric Keyboards overshadowed their amazing brass line.  Other Corps crossed the "Brass (only) Line" as well.

And on to another issue, Religion. Why on earth does a stellar Corps like The Cadets put a Catholic Mass on the field ?  When I was a performer, we intentionally avoided issues of Race, Religion, and Politics.  I was personally offended and am likely not the only one.  I left the room.

Is there a movement to remove these electronic, vocal, and religious nuisances from the rules of performance ?

• Like 1

Hi Natasha!  Welcome to DCP!

There are already several threads on the topics you mentioned here in the Forums. You might find some of the answers you're looking for in those threads.

Edit:  I didn't want to sound like I was trying to dismiss your questions.  I was wanting to say (as was said below) these Forums contain LOTS of useful info.  As you have time, dig into these threads.  In the meantime, post additional questions that you have.  Folks here will be happy to help. 

Edited by CrownBariDad

Yes, welcome Natasha! 

The recent, and rapid, changes to this "more-than-a Century old endeavor" are causing quite a stir, particularly among those that performed years ago. Some of those concerns are just the usual struggle with getting old. I'm 66.  But, that's the "thing" about drum corps. It can lock you in for life.  I still enjoy what's going on out there and have no plans to go away for good.

Drum corps has always been at least a little different from one year to the next. But, that's the product of human creativity. Our desire to make something different, hopefully better than what we have already.

Please read as much as you can here. It's a great story. One that never ends!

(you did just fine)

Welcome to the jungle!!! DCI is the member corps, not an independent governing body; so the simple answer is that is what they want. And for me, bass guitars, keyboards, guitars, vocals, have all been used in jazz ensembles for decades; so as long as it is done well, I am not that much of a 'marching band' or 'drum corps' purist.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Hello all,

Why is a Drum and Bugle Corps allowed to use Electric Keyboards, organ pedal tones specifically, Vocalists, Bass Guitars, or Drum Traps Sets when performing ?

It seems to me that this begins an alarming trend of replacing marching instruments on the field entirely, which appears to counter the concept of the brass ensemble, which I dearly love to hear on the field.

For example, Carolina Crown was wowing me again this year but then ended it for me when the "fat lady sang" for the last half of their performance.  Bluecoats were likewise "wowing" but the overuse of the Electric Keyboards overshadowed their amazing brass line.  Other Corps crossed the "Brass (only) Line" as well.

And on to another issue, Religion. Why on earth does a stellar Corps like The Cadets put a Catholic Mass on the field ?  When I was a performer, we intentionally avoided issues of Race, Religion, and Politics.  I was personally offended and am likely not the only one.  I left the room.

Is there a movement to remove these electronic, vocal, and religious nuisances from the rules of performance ?

The Cadets put on a caricature of the Mass.  Leonard Bernstein's Mass would never be celebrated in church for real.

3 hours ago, Natasha said:

Politics, Religion, etc... have been a part of DCI for a long, long time.  As far back as 1972 the Cadets did a show based on No More War; in 1984 there was the Suncoast Vietnam show when tensions were still very strong in people's minds; in 1991 Star did Roman Images with Christian symbols; in 1999 Scouts did Jesus Christ Superstar; in 2005 SCV did Russia Revolution-Evolution; in 2009 Boston did the Core of Temptation which took a wink, wink approval at sexual sin; here in 2017 some even found it ironic that the Cadets Mass show was performed directly next to Boston's Wicked show that was based in part on Religous Wicken Rituals.  And you walked out on Cadets 2017; which was/is your prerogative. But unless you marched and aged out prior to 1972, you did march in eras that produced shows about politics, religion, sex, etc..

Edited by Stu

14 hours ago, Natasha said:

Hello all,

Now come clean, Natasha. I don't think you're new to DCI in 2014, because you referred to it as Drum and Bugle Corps. Regardless of when bugles were actually eliminated from the field, I don't think it's been referred to as Drum AND BUGLE Corps for many many years. I think you're an Old Timer!  

That said, you're preaching to the choir for a lot of us. Unfortunately the ship has sailed. It's going to me more vocals and electronics in the future. In 20 years it'll be 140 dancers, ten vocalists, and a sound man, though it's possible a dancer might occasionally clip a wireless mic onto his/her saxophone and blow a solo. 

57 minutes ago, StunnedMonkey said:

Now come clean, Natasha. I don't think you're new to DCI in 2014, because you referred to it as Drum and Bugle Corps. Regardless of when bugles were actually eliminated from the field, I don't think it's been referred to as Drum AND BUGLE Corps for many many years. I think you're an Old Timer!  

That said, you're preaching to the choir for a lot of us. Unfortunately the ship has sailed. It's going to me more vocals and electronics in the future. In 20 years it'll be 140 dancers, ten vocalists, and a sound man, though it's possible a dancer might occasionally clip a wireless mic onto his/her saxophone and blow a solo. 

You forgot the 1 keyboardist to play all the brass and percussion parts.