Crossmen 2018

3 minutes ago, 80sFlagGirl said:

Just got home from the preview. Was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see the uniforms this year, but I guess I'll see them in July. There were some nice moments - there were a lot of things to work on. As usual, I would like a little less synth, I have reconciled myself to the fact that that is just a part of the "Crossmen sound." It was enough to get me by until Thursday :thumbs-up:

How's the hornline sounding? That 25-second clip has me wanting more.

I wanted them to be that good the whole time, but once they're on the move, they lose a little. I'm just a fan, not an expert, but I felt like it was a bunch of moments that need stronger transitions.

1 minute ago, 80sFlagGirl said:

I wanted them to be that good the whole time, but once they're on the move, they lose a little. I'm just a fan, not an expert, but I felt like it was a bunch of moments that need stronger transitions.

Understandable. Still, we are in the beginning stages of what I believe will be a powerhouse of a hornline. I'm looking forward to seeing them progress.

42 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

giphy.gif

OMG when they clean this up....

WATCH. OUT.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

I gotta say, this is a pretty solid design, and I haven't been a Crossmen fan the past year or two; I feel like their shows get lost in the memory of the season once all is said and done since Markworth came aboard --- not bad at all, just not too memorable either. Incredible horns and percussion, but I've doubted the average casual fan remembers them much after seeing 12 corps on Finals night. 

This seems to have a lot of potential, though. That moment leading up to the first hit in the closer, with the countermarch and then a rotating block in the middle...that is a really well-designed moment. The phrases after that --- I'm going to call them the Crown moments, since they're fairly reminiscent of the 32nd note trade offs in "Walking With Heroes" section of e=mc2 --- are pretty fantastic as well...not as clean as their standstill videos they posted, obviously, but if they can get it to sound like that on the move, that's a standing ovation section of material. 

The slow-build opener and all the work with the black umbrellas, followed by the lengthy (and tasty) drum break with the full ensemble umbrella work as well (and a few sneaky Dies Irae quotes!!) is really intriguing, and certainly more unique than a lot that they've brought to the table in the past few years. 

I'll also note that the guard work is very front-and-center, bold, and just makes sense in terms of staging, taking advantage of visual and musical opportunities, etc. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with this first read on Crossmen, and I look forward to seeing it develop over the season.

• Like 3

easily my favorite crossmen show in this era. (i would say to date but i don't want anyone screaming at me about potential "glory days" that i'm not familiar with)

I heard the key parts of the uniforms hadn't arrived yet.  So, there is more to come visually.  Their debut competition will be streamed on the 23rd.