Crossmen 2018

3 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

I think the singing portion may be controversial.  After hearing the Crossmen's singer during a practice, I bought the original song.  Michael Stipe's voice is a distinctive one that would never win a "American Idol" or "Voice" competition.  The song is sung in by Stipe in a plaintive, sad way.  It's not the type of song drum corps usually picks when they are going to have live vocals because it is almost under-sung.  But, I think the lyrics are important to the show and I understand why the Crossmen chose to have a vocalist instead of someone playing a brass solo.  While it sounds simple, I don't think it's an easy song to sing.

Take a fresh listen to the original song if you haven't heard it or haven't heard it in a while.

As an FYI, the singer is in the guard and has a featured role in the performance of the theme of the show.

I totally empathize with the vocalist. He has an extremely tough gig. As does every other soloist in DCI. I'm just evaluating from an adjudicative point of view.. I think you understand. But more power to him. Would love to see him get better with the role as the season progresses, as he most likely will. 

You're right about the type of song they chose and how it's not a typical drum corps sing-y thingy. That's why I think it needs a few design edits. I don't think the way it's being sung portrays the level of emotion they are intending. It's such an emotional song largely because the way Stipe sings it. I think the vocalists needs to replicate the plaintiff style and squeeze out any emotional hardship he's experienced if that section of the show wants to get the point across. Because right now, it strikes me as a, "oh cute they have a singer" in stead of, "wow, that was emotional and gave me the feels." 

They lyrics are indeed extremely profound, I'm glad they chose to have a singer instead of a horn soloist as well. Now that I think of it, last year's show I wish was a real singer instead of the french horn soloist. 

12 hours ago, ComeHomeShane said:

Just watched the video. Here's a bunch of thoughts in random order. Please read, would love to have conversation...

On first read, wwaaaaaayyyy better than I was expecting. The title had me thinking, "oh great, another weird for the sake of weird type show except this time inspired by netflix child actors..." On the contrary, The design had me engaged nearly the whole time. There were a few moments that had me asking "why?" but based on their design out of the gates, I feel optimistic about the growth of this show. LOVE the 2+ minutes of tchaikovsky brass arrangements after the first drum break. Wow, what a risk. But the long phrasing in the arrangement is soooo refreshing. I'm so taxed on the 'must have a big impact every 30 seconds' formula. And the trumpet soloist, fantastic arranging... Can't wait to hear a balanced recording of the brass to front ensemble for this...  Thank you Andrew Markworth for your tasteful decisions here.

Visually, leaps and bounds better than last year. There was more scatter drill then I would prefer, but over all there were many moment that had me say, "cool" afterwards... which happened a total of 0 times last year. I really enjoy the guard focus and integration this year, especially in the first few minutes.

Props... aside from the big hour glass, I can't tell what the other props are.

I'm not quite getting 'the inbetween' elements yet. I think it has something to do with being "in between" the start and finish of something... a la, on the journey. There were moments that definitely had an 'anxious to finish' vibe. Like anxious to graduate, anxious to get a job, anxious about life, etc... Can anyone else who's been following stuff comment on that design element?

One thing I'm really hoping gets better is the singer during 'Sweetness Follows'. Let me preface that I'm a long time R.E.M. fan. When I saw that bones would be performing this song I was very cynical about how well they could pull it off. I was really worried about the designers turning this great song into a mega-cheesy-drumcorp-pop-ballad-company-front-barf... To my surprise, I really like this section of the show! They didn't try to do too much with the song and the way it feeds into the reprise was really cool. However, part of what makes Michael Stipe of R.E.M. so great is his distinctive and relatable voice. Scratchy and honest, like a sober life lesson moment with your weird uncle. Intonation issues aside, the crossmen's vocalist sounds like he just came from 'Voice 101' class at music ed. camp usa. I'm pulling for this kid, I really am. I also think that his performance will make or break the build into the final impact. I want soul from a vocalist in this type of song, something ppl can relate to. A 'men's choir alto in the upper register' type voice is not going to make me feel the lyrics.

The section after the reprise is musically cool, but will need the most tweeking. I like how sweetness follows is arranged here, but overall the show  definitely lost momentum for a good 30+ seconds from the 10:50 to 11:20 mark (on the video). 

As always, I'm rooting hardcore for my alma mater. I'm really glad I like the show this year. Last year I wasn't buying at all. Go bones!

I think that's a flugel solo...

7 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

I am hardly an authority, but I think this is probably a good interpretation at this point.

I think the singing portion may be controversial.  After hearing the Crossmen's singer during a practice, I bought the original song.  Michael Stipe's voice is a distinctive one that would never win a "American Idol" or "Voice" competition.  The song is sung in by Stipe in a plaintive, sad way.  It's not the type of song drum corps usually picks when they are going to have live vocals because it is almost under-sung.  But, I think the lyrics are important to the show and I understand why the Crossmen chose to have a vocalist instead of someone playing a brass solo.  While it sounds simple, I don't think it's an easy song to sing.

Take a fresh listen to the original song if you haven't heard it or haven't heard it in a while.

As an FYI, the singer is in the guard and has a featured role in the performance of the theme of the show.

I hope the vocalist gives himself the permission to be vulnerable and imperfect and authentic to himself. That’s what will sell it. No pressure (lol) but imo the show does hinge on that to bring everything together. Make us forget Michael Stipe. 

• Like 1

It's seeming like the Crossmen's uniform reveal will be when they enter the stadium tonight.

Go Bones!  You haven't been this ready for a first competition in ages, if ever.  Show the world what you got.

Comments on tonight:

• i really love the uniforms this year. 
  • The total score came in pretty much the same as last year’s debut score, but I still believe they are better. 
  • I watched with a group of people. Several commented that they didn’t know what the show was about. I noted that when you are watching multi cam, you only know what they are showing. It was unfortunate that they never showed the singer so that it would be noted he was the hooded character in the show. 
  • They beat Phantom in few captions, particularly Visual Proficiency and Analysis. One of the GE judges had them above them. 
  • Like 1