Thousandths, Rounding, and Score History (Nit-Picking)

11 hours ago, JimBurnell said:

Got a VERY early morning (2:58am) reply from Matt.

It appears that we may be going to 4-decimal scores! I checked this morning and recaps are showing 4 decimal places now.

Here's his reply:

Hi Jim,
I've released an updated recap that has the full scores (out to 4 digits). The DCI site is still showing scores to 3 digits instead of 4. This requires a change on their side and I'll be discussing the change with them shortly.

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. If you notice anything else, please don't hesitate to send me a message.

-Matt

we have had that with the system we use in TOB...when you added in 7/13 splits and then the .5 and other multipliers in outdoor and indoor it creates some weird numbers and how they get rounded up and listed. Math, the bane of the universe LOL

Welp, this wouldn't be an issue if the drum community hadn't whined its way back to two judges. (Why only one color guard judge? Brass? Visual Analysis?) I know: battery and pit. If it's so important to have Field and Ensemble, then two brass judges are surely needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

Welp, this wouldn't be an issue if the drum community hadn't whined its way back to two judges. (Why only one color guard judge? Brass? Visual Analysis?) I know: battery and pit. If it's so important to have Field and Ensemble, then two brass judges are surely needed.

doubling GE also helps to create the mess. it's not just a drum thing

On 8/16/2017 at 11:18 AM, Jeff Ream said:

doubling GE also helps to create the mess. it's not just a drum thing

No, it's the new numbers management with the .05 option for a judge's subcaption (10 pt). In GE,  if there is an odd 0.5, it will average/total 3 decimal places. Same with the 3 visual numbers. The two Percussion numbers are averaged alone before adding the ensuing 3 music numbers and diving by two. The only possible equation to arrive at a FOURTH decimal place is to have a final drum score of 3 decimal places.

e.g.: 19.3 + 19.4 + (19.2+19.25) = 57.925   Then /2 = 28.9625 or... 28.963. I'm sure a mediocre IT person employed by DCI could make it possible to add the 4th (10,000th) decimal place for official scoring & publication.

By the way, unless my calculations are incorrect (I've algorthimed myself into a stupor), the SLIMMEST possible margin would be .0125. I used '08's PR/BD numbers and added a .05 to one of BD's drum scores.

I (heart) Math.

5 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

No, it's the new numbers management with the .05 option for a judge's subcaption (10 pt). In GE,  if there is an odd 0.5, it will average/total 3 decimal places. Same with the 3 visual numbers. The two Percussion numbers are averaged alone before adding the ensuing 3 music numbers and diving by two. The only possible equation to arrive at a FOURTH decimal place is to have a final drum score of 3 decimal places.

e.g.: 19.3 + 19.4 + (19.2+19.25) = 57.925   Then /2 = 28.9625 or... 28.963. I'm sure a mediocre IT person employed by DCI could make it possible to add the 4th (10,000th) decimal place for official scoring & publication.

By the way, unless my calculations are incorrect (I've algorthimed myself into a stupor), the SLIMMEST possible margin would be .0125. I used '08's PR/BD numbers and added a .05 to one of BD's drum scores.

I (heart) Math.

Actually it happened before the .5 option too

On 8/16/2017 at 8:24 AM, Tad_MMA said:

Truthfully they need to separate brass judges into "amplified" and "acoustic".  Because there are two completely different ball games going on out there that are currently being treated as one.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Actually it happened before the .5 option too

This started last year in conjunction with the judges' added .05. I say ONLY when there is a third decimal in the averaged drum score can a 4th decimal appear in a total score. You disagree; show me. fromthepressbox.com has all the numbers, although they round final scores to 3 decimal places. Look at the dci.org recaps from finals week.

9 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

This started last year in conjunction with the judges' added .05. I say ONLY when there is a third decimal in the averaged drum score can a 4th decimal appear in a total score. You disagree; show me. fromthepressbox.com has all the numbers, although they round final scores to 3 decimal places. Look at the dci.org recaps from finals week.

you dont get both drum guys without having both GE's doubled. it's how they use the system. so no, it isn't just because of the drum guy