Age Outs

23 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Brasso,

thanks for compiling the list. It appears you were listing in order of finals placement. I know it looks strange, but Cavaliers should be 4th and Bluecoats 5th. Just sayin....lol. I kid, I kid...

Oh jezz you're right. It was unintentional. When I listed the Corps, so not to forget the non Finalists, I utilized for my memory the compilation of Corps listed in the prelims list from the Quarters. But you are correct, Cavs finished 4th, and I should have placement wise listed them in that 4th position above. Sorry. Congratulations to the Cavaliers fine season, while I'm at it by the way.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

From a pure reality check standpoint, is there any practical way a corps can climb the ladder under these circumstances?

Paging Crown and Bloo....the ageout/retention rate at the top is nothing new. 

Crown and Bloo both made it to the summit under those circumstances, so yes, it's possible.

STAYING there....that's another issue..which both found out.

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

i also find it fascinating how many kids choose to age out at a corps they never marched in previously. Most notably, Blue Devils.

One one stat I don't have that I wish I did is how many people DO go to BD to age out, especially from other corps (not necessarily uber-rookouts like I was)...and as sub stat, how many had won with a different corps previously.

Maybe a job for the alum association....depending on responses, of course.   It'd be interesting.

I know in 84 we had 14 from SCV, one 83 Cadet, an 81 Vanguardian, and a bunch from all over the corps spectrum...10 of the eventual top 12 were represented (I don't think we had anyone who'd previously marched Cavies or Suncoast...although those WERE represented a couple of years later).

I'd guess the majority of corps have had at least one member go to Concord over the years.

5 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Paging Crown and Bloo....the ageout/retention rate at the top is nothing new. 

Crown and Bloo both made it to the summit under those circumstances, so yes, it's possible.

STAYING there....that's another issue..which both found out.

It's possible...but it sure isn't likely. 

10 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Ok.. to update what we have so far on this topic (" 2017 ageouts") heres what we have so far ( if anyone wants to change the numbers, just say so. Some Corps, we don't yet have the info on, ie Blue Stars, Madison Scouts, Colts,, Academy, Troopers, Spirit, Oregon Cru. and others ).

Blue Devils         60

SCV                      52

Crown                  44

Bluecoats            55

Cavaliers             33

Boston                37

Cadets               47

Blue knights      33

Phantom R.       44

Crossmen          20

Mandarins        15

Pacific Crest     14

Genesis              7

Pioneer              12

Seattle Cascades had 19 age outs.

7 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

One one stat I don't have that I wish I did is how many people DO go to BD to age out, especially from other corps (not necessarily uber-rookouts like I was)...and as sub stat, how many had won with a different corps previously.

Maybe a job for the alum association....depending on responses, of course.   It'd be interesting.

I know in 84 we had 14 from SCV, one 83 Cadet, an 81 Vanguardian, and a bunch from all over the corps spectrum...10 of the eventual top 12 were represented (I don't think we had anyone who'd previously marched Cavies or Suncoast...although those WERE represented a couple of years later).

I'd guess the majority of corps have had at least one member go to Concord over the years.

I can tell you 72 members of this years BD A corps did NOT march the A corps in 2016. I have no idea how many of those were transfers or age outs or rookies or just took 2016 off. Most interesting stat I think, the all 5 members of the Bass line were new to the A corps this year!

1 hour ago, insideout said:

Seattle Cascades had 19 age outs.

thanks... so noted.

2 hours ago, wilme861 said:

I can tell you 72 members of this years BD A corps did NOT march the A corps in 2016. I have no idea how many of those were transfers or age outs or rookies or just took 2016 off. Most interesting stat I think, the all 5 members of the Bass line were new to the A corps this year!

They did not have 72 ageouts last year...I think the number was in the 40s, so some vets got beat for spots or some people did not come back for whatever reason.  I know Brandon Olander did not return, as this was his first year of college (and there are some doubts about his coming back due to his scoliosis, but that remains to be seen).

Almost half the corps were BD rooks this year....and still....

Interesting thread, and a couple thoughts to add:

The least surprising fact here is that BD has been a destination corps for decades.  And yes, they most likely don't have to wade through hundreds of high school kids at auditions when they know they can rely on music majors and seasoned drum corps vets from throughout DCI.  This is not a criticism...good for them!  And, it does explain (in part) how they almost never dip beneath the top 3 despite having so many ageouts every year.  I think if they were to have 150 ageouts in 2017, they would still field 150 NEW 20 and 21 year olds in 2018.

As for Boston's ageout number of 37, that seems accurate to me.  I can add that there are only 3 ageouts in the battery....1 snare, 1 tenor, and 1 bass.....so it would seem they would be in good shape as Colin M and his team enter year #2.

One last thought on member retention.  Every year, DCI sends out questionaires to all the members on their "membership experience"....kind of like the JD Power survey in the auto business.  BD tends to win this on a regular basis, as they did in 2016.  And, for perspective, Boston came in second last year (despite the 12th place finish).  Interesting....

54 minutes ago, craiga said:

Interesting thread, and a couple thoughts to add:

The least surprising fact here is that BD has been a destination corps for decades.  And yes, they most likely don't have to wade through hundreds of high school kids at auditions when they know they can rely on music majors and seasoned drum corps vets from throughout DCI.  This is not a criticism...good for them!  And, it does explain (in part) how they almost never dip beneath the top 3 despite having so many ageouts every year.  I think if they were to have 150 ageouts in 2017, they would still field 150 NEW 20 and 21 year olds in 2018.

As for Boston's ageout number of 37, that seems accurate to me.  I can add that there are only 3 ageouts in the battery....1 snare, 1 tenor, and 1 bass.....so it would seem they would be in good shape as Colin M and his team enter year #2.

One last thought on member retention.  Every year, DCI sends out questionaires to all the members on their "membership experience"....kind of like the JD Power survey in the auto business.  BD tends to win this on a regular basis, as they did in 2016.  And, for perspective, Boston came in second last year (despite the 12th place finish).  Interesting....

I know some may not want that info out but I would be interested to see which corps are getting high marks from their members. BD and BAC at the top don't surprise me at all. 

• Like 1