Age Outs

22 minutes ago, Liahona said:

According to flomarching.com here are the ageout numbers. http://www.flomarching.com/article/61472-which-corps-has-the-most-open-spots-for-2018

"With many more people finishing out their marching careers in World Class, the average number of age-outs in World Class corps was 32. Even more interesting is that the average number of age-outs in the Finalists corps is 42, with a total of 509 age-outs between the top 12 corps."

Corps # of Age-Outs
The Academy 45
Blue Devils 60
Blue Knights 35
Blue Stars 40
Bluecoats 54
Boston Crusaders 36
The Cadets 45
Carolina Crown 45
The Cavaliers 43
Colts 25
Crossmen 20
Jersey Surf 20
Genesis 9
Madison Scouts 30
Mandarins 13
Oregon Crusaders 22
Pacific Crest 17
Phantom Regiment 45
Pioneer 12
Seattle Cascades 21
Santa Clara Vanguard 56
Spirit of Atlanta 25
Troopers 22

I was looking for their source for these numbers.  DCP maybe?

2 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I was looking for their source for these numbers.  DCP maybe?

I don't think so.  The numbers at DCP have been fairly close sans cavaliers...

The numbers are interesting, or at least I find them interesting. I'm not surprised at some, namely BD and SCV who always seem to have a number of age outs and do not have trouble recruiting talented new members. BAC and Cadets surprised me a bit. It did not look like either had that many participate in the age out ceremony, though that is a rough count at best, but I thought that with both corps, the youth was often stressed. For some of the corps that place lower, the smaller number of age outs may be encouraging, but these are also corps that tend to lose members to higher placing corps. The numbers that do alarm me are Blue Stars and Phantom. I've really enjoyed Blue Stars the past few years and hoped fewer age outs might put them in a better position next year. Phantom has been struggling a bit the past few years, so recruiting may be a bit more difficult for them, not so difficult they'll fall from finals, but will they recruit enough talent to give upward momentum?

12 hours ago, Liahona said:

I don't think so.  The numbers at DCP have been fairly close sans cavaliers...

12 hours ago, Liahona said:

Multiple pictures on social media as well as those posted by the Cavaliers on Facebook are showing 33. While the pics may be wrong I would find it odd the the cavaliers would post a pic captioned "thanks to all the age outs", and be missing 10 members from the pic. At finals I remember counting the number from the stands as well, and was surprised it was in the low thirties. 

Id attach the pic if I knew how, but it's right there on the Facebook page dated August 12th.

11 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Multiple pictures on social media as well as those posted by the Cavaliers on Facebook are showing 33. While the pics may be wrong I would find it odd the the cavaliers would post a pic captioned "thanks to all the age outs", and be missing 10 members from the pic. At finals I remember counting the number from the stands as well, and was surprised it was in the low thirties. 

Id attach the pic if I knew how, but it's right there on the Facebook page dated August 12th.

I trust your counts.  Who knows where flomarching sourced their info..besides they had blue devils winning with 100 + points...haha

Edited by Liahona

9 hours ago, desertrat68 said:

I'm not sure where they got their numbers but The Academy had 21. And yes, I'm sure of the number. Of course they also had many who aged out with other corps so that might be were they got 45 for them.

You may be correct, since you may have had a child march with them, but how does a corps have "many who aged out with other corps"?  A mm ages out with the last corps they marched with when they are no longer eligible to march DCI, even if they spent several years with a previous corps.

Edited by Ghost

5 hours ago, Liahona said:

I trust your counts.  Who knows where flomarching sourced their info..besides they had blue devils winning with 100 + points...haha

In another thread, people disputed the accuracy of attendance numbers at finals going back to the 70's. Maybe Flomarching provided those numbers too.

PS: Do any iPad or iPhone users have spell checks that want to change Flomarching to Florida March? 

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

You may be correct, since you may have had a child march with them, but how does a corps have "many who aged out with other corps"?  A mm ages out with the last corps they marched with when they are no longer eligible to march DCI, even if they spent several years with a previous corps.

Since the person is defined by the organization they aged-out of, or 'retired' from, that makes Joe Montana a Chief not a 49er, and Emmitt Smith a Cardinal not a Cowboy.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Since the person is defined by the organization they aged-out of, or 'retired' from, that makes Joe Montana a Chief not a 49er, and Emmitt Smith a Cardinal not a Cowboy.

And pro players will often sign a short term contract with their "old" team in order to retire on that roster.  I don't think they do that in DCI.