Age Outs

28 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

And pro players will often sign a short term contract with their "old" team in order to retire on that roster.  I don't think they do that in DCI.

Neither Montana nor Smith signed such a contract. Montana was a Chief not a 49er, and Smith was a Cardinal not a Cowboy.

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

Neither Montana nor Smith signed such a contract. Montana was a Chief not a 49er, and Smith was a Cardinal not a Cowboy.

So?  I said often, not always.

And what does this have to do with DCI?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CrownBariDad said:

So?  I said often, not always.

And what does this have to do with DCI?

Age-outs are a form of retirement: spend four years with Regiment and age out with Cadets, you are a Cadet. Spend multiple years with the Cowboys and retire with the Cardinals, you are a Cardinal.

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

With some major professional sports, that might change if a player becomes a HOF member.

Since DCI is Major League, when a player makes it into the DCI Hall of Fame, ... oops, check that; because the DCI HoF is apparently for the induction if narcissistic adults not the great players.

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Age-outs are a form of retirement: spend four years with Regiment and age out with Cadets, you are a Cadet. Spend multiple years with the Cowboys and retire with the Cardinals, you are a Cardinal.

I'm not sure this is always the case in professional sports and I'm not sure it works in drum corps either. It really depends on the individual. I know a young woman who marched with what was then a Class A corps, but wanted a taste of being in a Top 12 corps and she marched her age out year with one of the best. She loves this corps, but her heart is with the Class A corps she once marched with, she still donates to this corps, and credits much of what she learned about drum corps to this corps. I know of a young man who marched with Glassmen in 2012 and a top 3 corps in 2013 who told me he was really a Glassmen. I've heard similar sentiments from kids who go from OC to WC and from lower placing WC corps to stronger finalists.  

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I'm not sure this is always the case in professional sports and I'm not sure it works in drum corps either. It really depends on the individual. I know a young woman who marched with what was then a Class A corps, but wanted a taste of being in a Top 12 corps and she marched her age out year with one of the best. She loves this corps, but her heart is with the Class A corps she once marched with, she still donates to this corps, and credits much of what she learned about drum corps to this corps. I know of a young man who marched with Glassmen in 2012 and a top 3 corps in 2013 who told me he was really a Glassmen. I've heard similar sentiments from kids who go from OC to WC and from lower placing WC corps to stronger finalists.  

There was a story in DC World back in the late 80s about a guy who'd marched Cadets (including 87, I think), but returned to his original smaller corps (A-60....remember that?) for his age out year in order to give back his experience.

• Like 3