Flowmarching - take a look at your credit cards

Just now, MikeD said:

Actually 

Yeah I generally stop reading after that word.  Normally tends to be a waste.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

Actually it was not really free....people made pledges during the pledge drives to help fund the station. Sadly, too many drum corps fans failed to honor those pledges, which led to the eventual cancelation of the show.

It was free to him, and that all that matters, to him.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

It was free to him, and that all that matters, to him.

If it's any of your ###### business, my family wouldn't have been able to afford to watch it if it had cost anything.  You honestly think people would have subscribed to a premium satellite feed to watch drum corps in the 70s, 80s and 90s?  Believe it or not, not everyone in drum corps back then was born with a silver spoon in their mouth.  Kind of like the thousands of families today who have a kid who would give an arm and a leg to march, but can't afford $4,000.00 a summer.  I saved up for 6 years to pay for my tour fee, which was only a quarter of that.  If the broadcast had NOT been free, then I, along with thousands upon thousands of other fans and members, would have never even been exposed to the activity.  In a time where the majority of band directors in North America were openly hostile towards drum corps, those FREE broadcasts were the absolute best recruiting tool available to DCI.  Now, it's all gated behind a paywall, or otherwise limited to social media and pirated clips on YouTube.  So don't you sit there and try to judge me because I lament the fact that the average american has to sign up for an unreliable and poorly-engineered premium service in order to even be exposed to drum corps today.  That kind of elitist attitude right there is why the activity has become so inaccessible to everyone that isn't living vicariously through their kids in band or has been a fan for 30 to 40 years (a demographic that is shrinking every single day).

If DCI has to nickel and dime the fans and, more importantly, its members just to operate, then maybe it needs to cut its operating costs.  And I can supply a pretty comprehensive list of where they can start.....

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

If it's any of your ###### business, my family wouldn't have been able to afford to watch it if it had cost anything.  You honestly think people would have subscribed to a premium satellite feed to watch drum corps in the 70s, 80s and 90s?  Believe it or not, not everyone in drum corps back then was born with a silver spoon in their mouth.  Kind of like the thousands of families today who have a kid who would give an arm and a leg to march, but can't afford $4,000.00 a summer.  I saved up for 6 years to pay for my tour fee, which was only a quarter of that.  If the broadcast had NOT been free, then I, along with thousands upon thousands of other fans and members, would have never even been exposed to the activity.  In a time where the majority of band directors in North America were openly hostile towards drum corps, those FREE broadcasts were the absolute best recruiting tool available to DCI.  Now, it's all gated behind a paywall, or otherwise limited to social media and pirated clips on YouTube.  So don't you sit there and try to judge me because I lament the fact that the average american has to sign up for an unreliable and poorly-engineered premium service in order to even be exposed to drum corps today.  That kind of elitist attitude right there is why the activity has become so inaccessible to everyone that isn't living vicariously through their kids in band or has been a fan for 30 to 40 years (a demographic that is shrinking every single day).

If DCI has to nickel and dime the fans and, more importantly, its members just to operate, then maybe it needs to cut its operating costs.  And I can supply a pretty comprehensive list of where they can start.....

It was our pleasure to help you and your family receive PBS entertainment that otherwise you could not afford. Altruism was extended to you, and we are happy that you are so thankful for receiving our generosity.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3

I paid for Fan Network and that other Buffalo thing. I couldn't get Flo 'cause you know. I watched PBS for years, delighted they broadcast DCI and when I had money, I donated.

Got hooked on Downton Abbey and bought the videos. It was free, got hooked, paid for the quality. Why would I pay for unknown quality? DCI had an opportunity with PBS imo

19 minutes ago, lindap said:

I paid for Fan Network and that other Buffalo thing. I couldn't get Flo 'cause you know. I watched PBS for years, delighted they broadcast DCI and when I had money, I donated.

Got hooked on Downton Abbey and bought the videos. It was free, got hooked, paid for the quality. Why would I pay for unknown quality? DCI had an opportunity with PBS imo

The demise of DCI on PBS was limited sponsorships combined with sone people would call in during the DCI broadcast, make a pledge, then fail to make the payment commitment. Do some research even here on DCP and you will find that to be true.

Edited by Stu

10 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I'm trying to remember what I had to do when PBS charged me to watch drum corps after I cancelled my subscription.

Oh, wait, it's all coming back to me now.  They didn't charge me a dime, because it didn't cost anything.

PBS was nice, but not free. I always donated money because it's important. The government gives them next to nothing. They count on local and regional support. Maybe if more fans had donated back in the day they would have stayed with DCI longer. It would be nice to see a PBS Broadcast of Finals only. Full top 12, plus the Marines and the Open Champion. 

• Like 1

I recorded everyone of the PBS shows ,don\t know if thats the case with Flush & Flo. LOL had a TV with build in VCR so easy to tape then.