Death to the Seat Poachers

31 minutes ago, cowtown said:

DCI need to limit the wrist bands to the upper-side sections and not let the Poacher interfere with the paying, ticket holders. Sorry, not sorry kids, you blew it. You abused your privilege and the good will, good nature of others. You get NOTHING! Current Marcher, I care about you even less now, drum corps has failed to make you respectful members of society, you have not been taught your civic duty or even how to respect your own corps while in public. Drum corps kids are not better.  Is this a good time to mention the marching member in uniform, well sort of in uniform, as he had his shirt off and his spandex trousers dropped as he was passed out in a urinal (semis)?

At least one of the years I was at Indy (2013ish), wrist-banders weren't allowed in the 200s at all.  Seems to be different every year.

• Like 1

My seats this year were at the top of section 141 on the aisle, right by the main entrance from the snack area.  Between every corps, I had the constant question of "are these seats taken?".  Because I had 5 seats, more times than not there was at least one empty seat (visiting our daughter on the lot, getting food or just had seen certain corps too many times).  Saying "no, the seats are not available" did get old.

But on the other hand, some of my fondest memories of the weekend are interactions with folks who could sit with me for a show or two while members in my party were elsewhere.  For a brief moment, I was a member of the fan section for a mello in the Troopers or I was able to quiz the Mandarins staff about the deep meanings in their show or able to find common friends in the Oregon Crusaders or learning about the two weeks The Company spent in the United States (and how anxious they are to come back).

Drum Corps is more than just the shows on the field ... its the interactions in the stands between the Drum Corps family.  And I don't want that taken away because of bad behavior on the part of some.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Unreal. I know what corps you marched and will forever hate them.

Current Marcher, I care about you even less now, drum corps has failed to make you respectful members of society, you have not been taught your civic duty or even how to respect your own corps while in public.

Wait, who is the snowflake here?

• Like 2

I've seen this behavior in other situations besides Drum Corps:

• At a TV Festival I attended in Austin, I attempted to sit on a couch in an attendee lounge.  The seats were open to all.  The 20-something girl already on the couch told me she was saving my place for a friend.  I didn't object and proceeded to stand for the next 20 minutes.  Mind you, I'm old enough to be the girl's grandmother and there was no consideration given.  Her friend never materialized.  The next time I'm going stay seated and say, "Look I'm sitting until your friend shows up."
  • At San Diego Comic-con this past July, the level of line-cutting was so bad for the infamous Hall H--where people camp out all day and night to get in--that the complaint session about that very topic lasted hours.  People lamented that people following the rules were endlessly losers to those cheating.  I'm expecting changes in how that is done next year.
  • I continuously see young people in my daily life sitting at bars or taking seats on public transportation while senior citizens stand right behind them or in front of them.  They never surrender their seats.  Ever.  To nobody.  

Drum corps teaches people a certain type of discipline, but I doubt it teaches people manners and courtesy.

• Like 3

In the Friends section, they were borderline obnoxious asking to see the ticket.  It's like I have already shown you the ticket 5 times!  Is it too much to remember me in one small section?   During finals I avoided the issue by tagging myself with the ticket to avoid interrogation!

56 minutes ago, cowtown said:

*Trigger warning to the entitled seat poachers

Perhaps death is a bit strong but a Pox; May the rude Seat Poachers never get a complimentary airline seat upgrade !!!

When you pay for economy, do you help yourself to Business or first class seats merely because they are empty? Is this sort of theft acceptable in the new ‘share economy’? No, so why do it at a drum corps show. I don't care if you think I'm uncool, begone.

Normally, I have not minded the seat poachers in the past as they were polite and respectful, often keeping out of the paying customers’ way. This year, that was not the case.

Is this the entitled generation that I have heard of showing itself? Are the corps failing to instill those good, civic drum corps values? Was the lack of discipline I saw on the field a reaction to this generation and designing around it, ‘we cannot be taught to march forms but we can do our individual snowflake dance visuals’?

Usually, I can clear the seat, hit the washroom and make it back between corps. This year, not a chance due to Gate Lice and Seat Poachers trolling the aisles looking for a seat, blocking traffic flow. The Gate Lice were horrible, between corps they wouldn’t move or step to the side out of the way; instead they held their spot so only a trickle of the crowd could get in or out.

The Horror:  someone helped them self to a seat I purchased when I asked them not to as my friend was trying to get back in time. No mind to her, so my friend was doomed to became a seat poacher behind her for a corps. She was oblivious, entitled and completely disregarded me telling her 'no, the seat was not available' and then she was annoying watching the corps. Another: 2 seats over, their kids marched a 6-12 corps so they left to greet their kids at intermission, the Poachers quickly appeared and plopped in great seats for corps 6-1 and then when the parents returned for retreat, the Poachers refused to leave. The guy had to go down the aisle behind them and tap them out showing his ticket. And then…and then…the  Poachers showed such attitude, were so rude, it earned them my stabby eyes of death. The same Poachers returned looking to reclaim ‘their stolen seats’ for BD’s encore. Unreal. I know what corps you marched and will forever hate them.

And then there were the mass dinner parties plopped on the floor in traffic areas or the sudden stops in traffic to text that made getting around the stadium very difficult. How are you people so unaware of others around you and how your actions affect them? How are you so self- absorbed? Rude!

DCI need to limit the wrist bands to the upper-side sections and not let the Poacher interfere with the paying, ticket holders. Sorry, not sorry kids, you blew it. You abused your privilege and the good will, good nature of others. You get NOTHING! Current Marcher, I care about you even less now, drum corps has failed to make you respectful members of society, you have not been taught your civic duty or even how to respect your own corps while in public. Drum corps kids are not better.  Is this a good time to mention the marching member in uniform, well sort of in uniform, as he had his shirt off and his spandex trousers dropped as he was passed out in a urinal (semis)?

TL/DR: Cowtown rant against seat thieves, possibly smears an entire generation as entitled but left himself an out

Standing O!  It's like you read my mind. It was awful this year.  Someone really needs to get handle on this.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 4