Death to the Seat Poachers

Have you never attended a major sporting event? This is not an uncommon thing. It's certainly not a new thing started by a younger generation. This has been going on for decades.

If you're too special of a snowflake to be able to tell someone that they're in your seat, maybe you shouldn't be going out in public?

6 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Have you never attended a major sporting event? This is not an uncommon thing. It's certainly not a new thing started by a younger generation. This has been going on for decades.

If you're too special of a snowflake to be able to tell someone that they're in your seat, maybe you shouldn't be going out in public?

That never happens when I go to sporting events.  And I've been to a lot over the years.  The ushers don't allow people into sections where they aren't ticketholders. 

BTW, I also marched several years and we were told where we were permitted to sit after we performed.  We were also told to be respectful while in uniform or wearing our corps jacket. 

• Like 6

I think stealing is wrong, so would never support someone taking another's seat or creating a nuisance of oneself in the common areas.  It does concern me that the performers (who not only provided the entertainment, but paid a lot of money for the opportunity to do so) are not provided some way to participate in viewing the shows.  They are the product, and reducing them to vermin does no one any good.  It's wishful to think that decent seats might be provided to MMs... that's giving away too much money.  With all of the space at LOS, and the abundant screens available, would it be possible to create an agreeable member viewing area?  Imagine a sizable indoor viewing area with seating and large screens that was only open to MMs.  A live cam of MMs reactions could be presented on a second monitor in the paying sections.  It might make the MMs feel less like cattle and more like participants in the biggest events of the year.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ediker said:

I think stealing is wrong, so would never support someone taking another's seat or creating a nuisance of oneself in the common areas.  It does concern me that the performers (who not only provided the entertainment, but paid a lot of money for the opportunity to do so) are not provided some way to participate in viewing the shows.  They are the product, and reducing them to vermin does no one any good.  It's wishful to think that decent seats might be provided to MMs... that's giving away too much money.  With all of the space at LOS, and the abundant screens available, would it be possible to create an agreeable member viewing area?  Imagine a sizable indoor viewing area with seating and large screens that was only open to MMs.  A live cam of MMs reactions could be presented on a second monitor in the paying sections.  It might make the MMs feel less like cattle and more like participants in the biggest events of the year.  

^^^^^^^^ Kind of a cool idea...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ediker said:

We only got wristbands for prelims BITD and if you didn't make finals and you wanted to watch the show, you had to purchase a ticket.  I'm not being harsh.  It's just how it was.  Of my five years in juniors, I made finals two of them and I had to buy a ticket to see finals the other three. 

• Like 3

There is some give and take that can be done on both sides here. I've always felt it ridiculous that a performing SoundSport group is forced to purchase tickets for its members and aren't even given wristbands for events. So basically they're acting as a performing ensemble that people are paying to see and they aren't even given the nosebleed seats in return. While they're not ideal, at least they're free.

29 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

I don't think you read the post very carefully.  It was stated that he didn't mind seat poaching when those poaching were polite and respectful.

The change was the attitude of the poachers, not the poaching.

Also, you appear to have missed where he said this:  "She was oblivious, entitled and completely disregarded me telling her 'no, the seat was not available' "

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 2

I only saw a few poachers around where I sat....granted, I sat in ####sville....but what irritates me are the people who constantly have to carry on conversations during shows....or decide the ballad is the absolute best time to open a bag of candy.  I thought my wife was going to flip out on some old lady.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DCImonkey said:

I only saw a few poachers around where I sat....granted, I sat in ####sville....but what irritates me are the people who constantly have to carry on conversations during shows....or decide the ballad is the absolute best time to open a bag of candy.  I thought my wife was going to flip out on some old lady.  

"Some old lady".... hey now. 

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

"Some old lady".... hey now. 

Your seats were much better than mine.  Besides, I told Amy how you don't take #### off anyone, so she wouldn't have dared to stare you down haha

• Like 1