Death to the Seat Poachers

I sat in section 139 in row 20 and we only had poachers on Finals night. I got there and told the young woman & man that they were sitting in my seats.  The young woman apologized and moved right away.  There was no attitude and no demand to see my ticket.  Mind you, if I would have gotten attitude, I would have reacted very quickly as I won't take crap from someone when I paid good, hard-earned money for a seat that they're sitting in. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We only got wristbands for prelims BITD and if you didn't make finals and you wanted to watch the show, you had to purchase a ticket.  I'm not being harsh.  It's just how it was.  Of my five years in juniors, I made finals two of them and I had to buy a ticket to see finals the other three. 

Same: we got wristbands that allowed us outside the 10s. Pro athletes who are not playing get a decent seat on the bench. There must be a solution that would be fun for the MMs. Think of the socializing possible, in a large area with other MMs!

6 minutes ago, DCImonkey said:

.but what irritates me are the people who constantly have to carry on conversations during shows....or decide the ballad is the absolute best time to open a bag of candy.  I thought my wife was going to flip out on some old lady.  

Funny you should mention this. One of my pet peeves is when I'm really focused on the music and I hear the bag open or the crunching of chips/popcorn, etc by the person chewing like a cow.

However, unlike with people talking during a show, I would never say anything to someone about their loud chewing or opening a bag/candy wrapper during a soft ballad. Even though it is annoying, there are some things I'd feel too petty to mention.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Have you never attended a major sporting event? This is not an uncommon thing. It's certainly not a new thing started by a younger generation. This has been going on for decades.

If you're too special of a snowflake to be able to tell someone that they're in your seat, maybe you shouldn't be going out in public?

I'm a White Sox season ticket holder over 15 years so yes, I know the drill and no, you’re wrong, it doesn’t occur like that at professional sporting events and it hasn’t been like this at past DCI finals (I’ve been to about 35 of those too)

So, have you been to a professional sporting event? What decade are you talking about it?

My special snowflake privilege comes from me buying a ticket, it buys me a specific spot in a designated space. Why don’t others respect that? I’m sure they’d demand the same if they had actually bought a ticket in that section

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 5

My bad, I thought the title of this thread was " death to the seal poachers " instead of " death to the seat poachers. "

Its far better to know we want to club seat squatters to death today than baby seals. Whew, thats a relief. ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I don't think some of you have been to as many sporting events as you like to claim.

You pull that kind of crap at a pro game, and not only are you being removed from your seat, you're going to the parking lot, either feet-first or head-first.

The only "snowflakes" in the equation are the ones that think an empty seat is fair game.  Sit where your ticket tells you to sit, and stop being part of the problem.  

• Like 1

DCI did limit where people with wristbands could sit.  If they snuck past the gate watchers, or the gate watchers didnt care, that's another thing.  But some gate watchers asked for tickets, and others did not. 

Edited by C.Holland

At prelims I sat in 338 in the top row.  Some corps kids "poached" on the seats next to me.  When the seat holders arrived, the kids were very polite and left. Within 10 minutes I had to shame the 50-something year olds in those seats to quit talking during the performance by telling them that the young people I was sitting next to previously knew proper audience etiquette. Rudeness is not restricted by generation.

• Like 6