Death to the Seat Poachers

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

Don't encourage him!  :laughing:

But it's fun!

• Like 1

Last year in Altanta at the Georgia Dome My Girl Friend left to use the rest room and get a drink after the final intermission and a corps member from a corps that had performed earlier squeezed by me and just plopped himself into her seat next to me. He left when I said hey someone is sitting there, but I couldn't believe he just plopped didn't say anything  like he had sitting there all day.   I understand when someone with not so great seats wants to see their kid who is in a lesser corps, and even filling the stands to support the lesser corps, but that one persons attitude gave me a dislike for the seat poachers.

9 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I saw you at outside at finals  but didn’t say hi, you look just like you do on your website

Ya, but that should've have scared you away. She looks ok to me.

If I purchase a ticket, I am leasing that seat space; whether I choose to occupy that space or leave it empty that space is mine throughout the duration of the event.  if a ticket is not purchased, the space is reserved for the venue to keep it empty until someone leases that space. Either way, someone who occupies that space without buying the tickets for that space is a common thief. Now they might not want to believe that, just like they might not want to believe downloading audio and video without paying the owner is also stealing. But they are still a thief nonetheless.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

DCI did limit where people with wristbands could sit.  If they snuck past the gate watchers, or the gate watchers didnt care, that's another thing.  But some gate watchers asked for tickets, and others did not. 

All 3 days -- no one asked to see tickets except entering the stadium.  There were several MM looking for seats and all were polite and respectful.  If I could help with a temporary seat (when the family was elsewhere for a while), I did. 

• Like 1

Don't mean to be ANTI the ANTI here, but I have NO ISSUES with POLITE seat poachers.  For many years I buy 4 seats, near the 50.  My seats are very easy to get to as they are on the aisle.  Usually when I arrive there are people in my seats.  I can't recall a single time when anyone has been rude to me when I inform them "sorry, but these are my seats."

I especially don't mind when the "poachers" are current corps members.  I'm fortunate to be able to get 4 of the limited great seats in LOS annually.  I have no problem sharing them when they are not being used by me or my party.  Unlike what some have posted here I have found the poachers to be very respectful and representing their corps in a manner that reflects pride.  (I'm sure there are a few that don't do this...ever group, including DCP, has their jerks, but I've not really experienced it with poachers.

On semi night there was a family (3) that had only wrist bands and they were going to have to view their child's final performance from "less than desirable seats."  I told them they could have my seats and use them for THAT corps.  (I knew the others in my party wouldn't mind taking a restroom break at that time.)  They were most appreciative...and the joy I experienced watching them (and their tears) as they watched their child's performance was one of the highlights of the weekend.

Yes, I am an old good guy :cheer:   (but had their been 4 of them????)

• Like 2

I did have some issues with marching members looking for open seats on Friday and Saturday. Here is what I don't understand...every marching member had a cell phone on them. Go to the ticketmaster website and look at the seat map for semis or finals. Find an unsold seat. Go sit in it. I understand it's not going to be a "good" seat, but at least it's an unoccupied seat. Technology should make this process easier and less intrusive.

Z

2 hours ago, luv4corps said:

At least one of the years I was at Indy (2013ish), wrist-banders weren't allowed in the 200s at all.  Seems to be different every year.

As a self professed seat poacher, both in my marching days and in current times (was able to move inside the 45s both nights in Allentown), I can tell you for certain that 99.99% of MM poachers are typically courteous and will move if you ask ASAP. Adults are worse, but the mere threat of calling security on them will send them scurrying. 

As for 2013, I sat on the 50 in the 400 section of Lucas Oil on Finals Night. Directly beneath the "Lucas Oil" sign where hornlines are told to point their horns. With a wristband.

As long as the poacher understands 1) It's not their seat, and it can be taken away at any time, and 2) To be courteous and cooperative if the seat holder shows up, then it's all good by my book.

• Like 1