Death to the Seat Poachers

3 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

No, it's when people get physical/verbal that they are removed.  NEVER for just sitting in the wrong seat.

I take it you've never been to Philadelphia.  Or Los Angeles.  Or Pittsburgh.  Or Houston.  Or Cincinnati.  

You're not dealing with band parent volunteers at pro venues.  You're dealing with the guy who took a swing at Tim Snyder x 20.

17 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I take it you've never been to Philadelphia.  Or Los Angeles.  Or Pittsburgh.  Or Houston.  Or Cincinnati.  

You're not dealing with band parent volunteers at pro venues.  You're dealing with the guy who took a swing at Tim Snyder x 20.

Maybe you should read my comment before replying.  I said you never get thrown out for just being in the wrong seat.  And since you never mentioned that in your original post, only that you would be forcibly removed for being in the wrong seat, we can end this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kyle B said:

Maybe you should read my comment before replying.  I said you never get thrown out for just being in the wrong seat.  And since you never mentioned that in your original post, only that you would be forcibly removed for being in the wrong seat, we can end this.

I read your comment, and what I'm telling you is that Pro stadium staff don't mess around, and they WILL give you business whether you're belligerent or not.  You're a visitor on their turf, and most of them hate their jobs.  They're not going to take any crap.  And it's not unheard of to get someone like that at a drum corps show.   I mean, I THOUGHT this was common knowledge, especially among the well-traveled and even more especially among drum corps fans.  However, I forget that this is the internet, and that I could very well be talking to individuals that have never even actually been to a drum corps show in their lives.

24 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I read your comment, and what I'm telling you is that Pro stadium staff don't mess around, and they WILL give you business whether you're belligerent or not.  You're a visitor on their turf, and most of them hate their jobs.  They're not going to take any crap.  And it's not unheard of to get someone like that at a drum corps show.   I mean, I THOUGHT this was common knowledge, especially among the well-traveled and even more especially among drum corps fans.  However, I forget that this is the internet, and that I could very well be talking to individuals that have never even actually been to a drum corps show in their lives.

I guess I wouldn't know anything about a Pro Stadium.

I only work at the #1 Venue in the World, and #1 Stadium in the world for 5 of the last 7 years.  But hey, you've been to a drum corps show, so what do I know.

I'm glad you assume that people who work there don't like their jobs.  Except that's categorically untrue.  Are there people who are miserable, sure...just like people here.

Edited by Kyle B
  • Like 2

Here are a few of the reasons people sit in the wrong seat:

They want a better seating location.

They sit 1 or 2 seats off from their seat because they want a buffer seat between them and a stranger.

They move a row or 2 down to give themselves more room and are prepared to go back once someone comes.

Special promotion for that aisle like free chips.

They thought they were in the right seat, but are either 1 row or section off.

They paid for fake tickets.

Now, most people who are in the wrong seats will immediately acknowledge it and leave without a hassle.  For people who bought fake tickets, this is usually more complicated and many stadiums try to accommodate them as they were able to get into the stadium, so they try to place them somewhere, sometimes for a fee.

There are people who can be extremely rude and even try to delay the inevitable like Terri's situation last year.  I've seen it a few times.  The simplest solution is find the sections usher, show them your tickets and say someone is sitting in your section.  Security will also work, but if the people are standoffish, sometimes its better to start with the usher.  If things get verbal and violent, then the staff will take care of it.  I highly doubt there is a stadium staff in the entire world who will just make you fend for yourself if someone is in your seat.

Again, seat poachers are always going to happen.  It happens at concerts, monster jam, wrestling events, soccer events, baseball, soccer, hockey, basketball, football, DCI, etc..  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

Here are a few of the reasons people sit in the wrong seat:

They want a better seating location.

They sit 1 or 2 seats off from their seat because they want a buffer seat between them and a stranger.

They move a row or 2 down to give themselves more room and are prepared to go back once someone comes.

Special promotion for that aisle like free chips.

They thought they were in the right seat, but are either 1 row or section off.

They paid for fake tickets.

Now, most people who are in the wrong seats will immediately acknowledge it and leave without a hassle.  For people who bought fake tickets, this is usually more complicated and many stadiums try to accommodate them as they were able to get into the stadium, so they try to place them somewhere, sometimes for a fee.

There are people who can be extremely rude and even try to delay the inevitable like Terri's situation last year.  I've seen it a few times.  The simplest solution is find the sections usher, show them your tickets and say someone is sitting in your section.  Security will also work, but if the people are standoffish, sometimes its better to start with the usher.  If things get verbal and violent, then the staff will take care of it.  I highly doubt there is a stadium staff in the entire world who will just make you fend for yourself if someone is in your seat.

Again, seat poachers are always going to happen.  It happens at concerts, monster jam, wrestling events, soccer events, baseball, soccer, hockey, basketball, football, DCI, etc..  

My next step was the usher.  I'm thankful for your experience in these situations.  People, take note! 

• Like 1

Anytime.  Right behind stadium security, fan enjoyment is the #1 goal of any stadium staff.  The better time you have, the more likely events will continue to be booked there and they will continue to have a job.  

• Like 1

I've sat in the 100's for finals each of the last 2 years. Nobody ever checks tickets and the kids who marched other non finalist corps poaching seats is a major pet peave of mine. Yes these seats are taken. Someone paid for them 8-9 months ago. Now go sit back in the area you are allowed to sit in.

Edited by gbass598
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I've sat in the 100's for finals each of the last 2 years. Nobody ever checks tickets and the kids who marched other non finalist corps poaching seats is a major pet peave of mine. Yes these seats are taken. Someone paid for them 8-9 months ago. Now go sit back in the area you are allowed to sit in.

We bought our tickets for next year Thursday morning!  Booked our hotel yesterday.  We're vested. 

• Like 5

It never happened to us this year, but finals night I was in section 438, and literally after every corps, a staff member, marching member, or just a fan would come and look for seats. All three groups would do this DURING a performance, which really took away from my enjoyment of the show (don't get me wrong, this finals night was incredible) but they were all younger people. Why do these people believe they have a right to a good seat that they didn't pay for? BDB members came up during the BD show, but they didn't try to sit in the seats, they just sat down on the stairs, not in anyone's way. That was appreciated.

• Like 1