Death to the Seat Poachers

8 hours ago, C.Holland said:

odd.  i saw two sections where a gent came up between corps to ask to see tix in the 100 level.

We did not have the best seats at Indy -- waited too long to purchase since we no longer had a MM.  Maybe they were only checking the more desirable sections. IDK

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

We did not have the best seats at Indy -- waited too long to purchase since we no longer had a MM.  Maybe they were only checking the more desirable sections. IDK

thats possible.  i was sitting just off of the 40 for a bit.  i didnt have a ticket, just my pass. so i moved to a space outside the 20. where a certain corps i'll not name was sitting and TALKED through everyone's performance.  So I again had to move.  I'm not going to throw them under the bus, but cmon corps directors and staff.  tell your kids to give the same respect to others that you were show.  that's unacceptable. 

20 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Have you never attended a major sporting event? This is not an uncommon thing. It's certainly not a new thing started by a younger generation. This has been going on for decades.

If you're too special of a snowflake to be able to tell someone that they're in your seat, maybe you shouldn't be going out in public?

uncool man!

7 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

thats possible.  i was sitting just off of the 40 for a bit.  i didnt have a ticket, just my pass. so i moved to a space outside the 20. where a certain corps i'll not name was sitting and TALKED through everyone's performance.  So I again had to move.  I'm not going to throw them under the bus, but cmon corps directors and staff.  tell your kids to give the same respect to others that you were show.  that's unacceptable. 

Talking over anything that is not directly important to the person engaged in the conversation is a cultural aspect that I have just given up fighting against. A main problem here, though, is venue. People normally do not talk in concert halls or auditoriums. Even at the DCI theater events I have attended the audience typically does not talk during performances and rarely during the intervals between corps. But in a live 'sports stadium' that is a different animal. People have become accustomed to talking while sitting watching the sports action on the football field; and since DCI and marching bands both compete on that same football field, fans tend to treat it the same as a sports venue not a concert hall. At least that is my take.

11 hours ago, Trumpet2 said:

It never happened to us this year, but finals night I was in section 438, and literally after every corps, a staff member, marching member, or just a fan would come and look for seats. All three groups would do this DURING a performance, which really took away from my enjoyment of the show (don't get me wrong, this finals night was incredible) but they were all younger people. Why do these people believe they have a right to a good seat that they didn't pay for? BDB members came up during the BD show, but they didn't try to sit in the seats, they just sat down on the stairs, not in anyone's way. That was appreciated.

I haven't been to Indy in a couple of years, but these stories make me appreciate J. Birney Crum Stadium and the ushers working there.  I don't think they ever let anyone sit on the stairs.  I know the guy who was working our area was great at policing.  There was even a scuffle with a seat poacher that almost erupted into a fight and he kicked the guy out.

• Like 1

Ya, the seat poaching problem sounds pretty bad, but death seems a bit extreme. Can't we just give them cake instead? Is cake an option?

• Like 1

A few thoughts:

- Gate security was very light. I know people -- who had neither tickets nor wristbands/passes -- simply walk through without any credentials (carrying full backpacks, no less).

- I don't think anyone in my section sat in their assigned seat. It was so far out of a decent listening range that people sort of dejectedly plopped themselves wherever.

- Lucas Oil Stadium sucks and I'm never going back there again, unless if 1) I get a cheap/free ticket between the 30s 2) I get a cheap/free ticket to a suite level 3) one of my former students is competing for a ring, or 4) the ownership/stadium authority allows the #### roof to open up.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
grammar

4 minutes ago, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

A few thoughts:

- Gate security was very light. I know people -- who had neither tickets nor wristbands/passes -- simply walk through without any credentials (carrying full backpacks, no less).

- I don't think anyone in my section sat in their assigned seat. It was so far out of a decent listening range that people sort of dejectedly plopped themselves wherever.

- Lucas Oil Stadium sucks and I'm never going back there again, unless if 1) get a cheap/free ticket between the 30s 2) get a cheap/free ticket to a suite level 3) if one of my former students is competing for a ring, or 4) if the ownership/stadium authority allows the #### roof to open up.

the roof wont make any difference. it's the huge windows on each end that will really cause chaos

• Like 1

The anecdotes described throughout this thread either means 1). There is a high level of inconsistency among different venues in how seat poaching is handled, or 2). There are a lot of liars posting on this message board.

I feel it's probably a mix of both.  However, I have seen plenty of seat poaching, rude behavior from both kids and corps staff AS WELL AS self-righteous ticket holders (I mean, if you boast about how your plan is to throw a 14 year old kid over the rails because they don't move when someone who is not their parent or guardian demands they move, you're not exactly standing on any moral high ground), and honest misunderstandings that have escalated into fisticuffs as a result of bad attitudes.

Sit where you're supposed to sit, or expect to be told to move.  And if someone is sitting in your seat, use your brain before you act.  Everyone wins, right?