Death to the Seat Poachers

Here is the main issue for people with wristbands as I see it.

DCI has to tell the stadium operations people to inform the ushers that people with wristbands should only be sent to certain areas (or so I gather since I'm not familiar with the perks of the wristband.)  Then if an usher sees someone entering with a wristband, they can turn them away.

I get briefings constantly about what wristbands/lanyards will gain access to floor or VIP areas of the stadium, even when I'm working up on the top level of the stadium.  We also receive 2 newsletters each event that we can use as reference.  There have been a few times where there are additional colors or logos on the bands that wasn't included and I had to get help to direct them/allow them in.  More often because the organizer of the event never told the main people who run the stadium.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kyle B said:

Here is the main issue for people with wristbands as I see it.

DCI has to tell the stadium operations people to inform the ushers that people with wristbands should only be sent to certain areas (or so I gather since I'm not familiar with the perks of the wristband.)  Then if an usher sees someone entering with a wristband, they can turn them away.

I get briefings constantly about what wristbands/lanyards will gain access to floor or VIP areas of the stadium, even when I'm working up on the top level of the stadium.  We also receive 2 newsletters each event that we can use as reference.  There have been a few times where there are additional colors or logos on the bands that wasn't included and I had to get help to direct them/allow them in.  More often because the organizer of the event never told the main people who run the stadium.

They should hire you for championships. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They kicked us out of our warmup area in 2003! 

LOL!!! You simply cannot make this stuff up!!!

There was another situation, in the far end of the parking lot one year... porta-potties had been set up across the road from the warmup area, because corps members simply could not make the long trek to and from the stadium if they needed a restroom. 

From what I understand, some members of one corps started across the road to the porta-johns... and were threatened with arrest by the security people, for illegally crossing the road or some other ridiculous charge!!!  For trying to use the portable facilities THAT HAD BEEN SET UP FOR THE CORPS!!!  :laughing:

• Like 1

Just now, Fran Haring said:

LOL!!! You simply cannot make this stuff up!!!

There was another situation, in the far end of the parking lot one year... porta-potties had been set up across the road from the warmup area, because corps members simply could not make the long trek to and from the stadium if they needed a restroom. 

From what I understand, some members of one corps started across the road to the porta-johns... and were threatened with arrest by the security people, for illegally crossing the road or some other ridiculous charge!!!  For trying to use the portable facilities THAT HAD BEEN SET UP FOR THE CORPS!!!  :laughing:

It was insanity.  We had a lot of older members and they had us walking into a #### forest! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

At the top of my list from those days... the time when a security guard tried to forcibly move a man in a wheelchair because the man was not in the designated accessible-seating area. The man in question happened to be a DCA/senior corps icon. 

Several alums of that man's former corps didn't take kindly to the security person's attempt... and, until cooler heads prevailed, were about to separate that security person's head from the rest of his body.  :tongue:

Yeah, don't mess with the old school guys. Wasn't that long ago that you fought it out on the field, then in the parking lot.

On second thought, yes it was that long ago. Schnikies...sure sign of age. :unsure:

Edited by BDCorno
  • Like 1

Are ushers at DCI Finals paid or volunteers?

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Are ushers at DCI Finals paid or volunteers?

A combination of both. Friends of DCI sections had the pink shirts or the volunteers and they seemed to be pretty strict about only letting in those with seats in those sections. Stadium personnel made up the rest of the sections.

14 hours ago, C.Holland said:

thats possible.  i was sitting just off of the 40 for a bit.  i didnt have a ticket, just my pass. so i moved to a space outside the 20. where a certain corps i'll not name was sitting and TALKED through everyone's performance.  So I again had to move.  I'm not going to throw them under the bus, but cmon corps directors and staff.  tell your kids to give the same respect to others that you were show.  that's unacceptable. 

Ugh. At Massillon, just as Boston was about to start, and our section was getting pretty full, two older women reached our row and scooted, rather noisily to their seats, three to one side of where I was sitting. They recognized the couple sitting between me and them, greeted them loudly, and proceeded to talk, none too quietly, through about three minutes of Boston's performance, not in response to the show (which would be OK), but about other stuff. Lots of people in front and behind them kept glancing in their direction, but they kept going until I leaned far forward and turned to face them, gave them the meanest look I could muster, and raised my hands in the "what gives?" gesture.

They looked most offended by my silent intrusion, but they shut up.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ugh. At Massillon, just as Boston was about to start, and our section was getting pretty full, two older women reached our row and scooted, rather noisily to their seats, three to one side of where I was sitting. They recognized the couple sitting between me and them, greeted them loudly, and proceeded to talk, none too quietly, through about three minutes of Boston's performance, not in response to the show (which would be OK), but about other stuff. Lots of people in front and behind them kept glancing in their direction, but they kept going until I leaned far forward and turned to face them, gave them the meanest look I could muster, and raised my hands in the "what gives?" gesture.

They looked most offended by my silent intrusion, but they shut up.

I always say shhhhsh!  Be quiet! 

19 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression for most shows that the members finish their shows, change clothes and often hit the road before scores are even announced.  Maybe they don't have a whole lot of experience watching shows and haven't been told what the rules are.  For Finals, I suspect the members you are talking about are non-Finalists because the Finalists have to keep their uniforms on for retreat.

I worked Semis, so they were the afternoon corps who were watching the evening corps. At the very end of the night we were getting some of the higher corps, since there was no retreat.