Death to the Seat Poachers

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Are ushers at DCI Finals paid or volunteers?

It would appear from the shirts they wear that the same people who are assigned as users are hired by the same company that assigns those who scan your tickets and that guy who is on Tim Snyder's Christmas card list.  Not sure what the training and requirements are for this employment, but it's possible I suppose, that the same company is responsible for the guy who tears tickets at the tilt-a-whirl at the Indiana State Fair.

12 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I feel bad about your friends.  A ticket holder standing in the tunnel?  That's total ########. 

This is a situation that could have easily come to blows!  I know that is how mad I would have been about it.  

Next time I go to Indy I will mark my seat with a sign that says something like: "This is my seat.  I paid for it.  I will be right back.  Sit somewhere else, you mooch."

Or something to that affect.  At the very least, it would cause a sane person to take pause before sitting down - lol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BDCorno said:

I could have, but thought better of it...I'd probably end up arrested, with the poachers still sitting in my seats. DCI gets the stadium essentially free, so I doubt they have the stadium NFL security. Probably should. Those guys are serious. Now as for the gate personnel, that's another thread altogether. I think we ran into the son of the guy that got punched out by the Troopers horn instructor, over at the west gate on finals day.

if there security is anything like the guy taken out by the Troopers staffer, you'll be fine

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... sounds like the exact opposite situation than with the security folks at the DCA title show in Scranton years back, when they'd put you in handcuffs just for staring at them.  :tongue:

OMG.....that year they wouldnt let people back into the Stadium from the Club even if they had a ticket....only time I've ever seen tom Peashey run.

yet i was there for a zillion band events, and the Moosic police were NEVER a problem 

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ugh. At Massillon, just as Boston was about to start, and our section was getting pretty full, two older women reached our row and scooted, rather noisily to their seats, three to one side of where I was sitting. They recognized the couple sitting between me and them, greeted them loudly, and proceeded to talk, none too quietly, through about three minutes of Boston's performance, not in response to the show (which would be OK), but about other stuff. Lots of people in front and behind them kept glancing in their direction, but they kept going until I leaned far forward and turned to face them, gave them the meanest look I could muster, and raised my hands in the "what gives?" gesture.

They looked most offended by my silent intrusion, but they shut up.

this is the first year in a few at Allentown i didn't have to death stare/speak up to idiots during the shows. etiquette has gone to hell

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I always say shhhhsh!  Be quiet! 

3 years ago at Allentown...to a kinda local legend in DCA circles...that didnt work.

shut the #### up ########" did

Edited by Jeff Ream
correction
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

this is the first year in a few at Allentown i didn't have to death stare/speak up to idiots during the shows. etiquette has gone to hell

Heh... out over by the goal line in the cheap seats where we were, there was a guy this year chatting away on his mobile phone during a corps or two. He had his kid with him, and they both were oblivious to what was happening on the field.

I chalked it up to them being locals who got the BOGO ticket deal, and who had no idea about drum corps etiquette, etc.,  so I didn't say anything. They eventually got up and moved elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

3 years ago at Allentown...to a kinda local legend in DCA circles...that didnt work.

shut the #### up ########" did

Yeah... hey, thanks for that.  :lol:

Seriously... I have no idea. Wasn't there.  LOL.

I know OP had only the irritations plenty of us share in mind. Still, in the broader, worldly context, the title of this thread isn't as amusing as it once was.