Death to the Seat Poachers

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Um no.  There weren't plenty of empty seats. 

shhh you were there, he wasn't...dont use facts

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

The people you're calling "poachers" paid a hell of a lot more than you did and are the entire reason there even is a show. When you paid at most $129, you don't get to complain about someone who paid $3700 plus 11 weeks work taking your seat when you're not even there (99% of the time when I've seen a current member take an empty seat, anyone who bought the ticket there doesn't show up for multiple corps afterward- and when they do return, the members have always moved without issue). If they behaved the way OP described, it was in direct response to OP behaving the way they did in the post.

no, they dont always move without issue.

16 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Another thing to consider before you decide to throw someone over the rails for taking your seat is that there are plenty of empty seats right down front in the first 15 rows between the 35s that no one wants to sit in anymore because of all the speaker feedback.  Pretty good seats if you want to watch the front ensemble emote, however.  Something to think about before you inadvertently escalate a situation that could have easily been avoided.

Our tradition each year is to purchase Semi and Finals tix from a Corps block, but wait until Thursday morning to get Prelims tix down front.  I checked on availability a few days before we drove to Indy -- only widely scattered singles and few of those.  I didn't see many open seats in front of the pit for Semis or Finals either. 

8 hours ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

The people you're calling "poachers" paid a hell of a lot more than you did and are the entire reason there even is a show. When you paid at most $129, you don't get to complain about someone who paid $3700 plus 11 weeks work taking your seat when you're not even there (99% of the time when I've seen a current member take an empty seat, anyone who bought the ticket there doesn't show up for multiple corps afterward- and when they do return, the members have always moved without issue). If they behaved the way OP described, it was in direct response to OP behaving the way they did in the post.

I'm guessing most of the "poachers" who are mentioned in this topic are not current mm, but fans, techs/staff, volunteer's, etc.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Another thing to consider before you decide to throw someone over the rails for taking your seat is that there are plenty of empty seats right down front in the first 15 rows between the 35s that no one wants to sit in anymore because of all the speaker feedback.  Pretty good seats if you want to watch the front ensemble emote, however.  Something to think about before you inadvertently escalate a situation that could have easily been avoided.

This is completely untrue. It's packed. 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2017 at 6:16 PM, Kevin. said:

Tell me about these "friends of DCI"seats.  How much do I need to contribute?  Also, can I just give them cake?  Is cake an option?

$2500 gets you Friend of DCI membership which gives you option on 8 seats. 

Many in the know split the 2500 under one name and take a share in the 8 seats. The end result is about 80 dollars more annually than you are paying now for prime seating.

9 hours ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

This post from Bone-tone is one of the most narcissistic ones I have read on DCP clearly symbolic of the entitlement culture.

The mms aren't the major problem of poaching. It's the adults who do this. The mms have a curiosity for sure and some are not contented with the Cappybara style of contemporary drum corps by video and computer. Live performances reveal so much more. Modern marchers don't often see their competitors live.

But to presume corps fees pay a corps' annual bills so no need to recognize the donors particularly those without kids in this corps or another, that tour fees don't have benefits (housing and food for 11 weeks, with camps included almost a college semester's worth of world class instruction, touring the nation seeing things even from a bus window or parking lot practice that one would not see at home) is ludicrous says one who has been both a corps administrator and one who at times had not a penny in the bank or my pocket to afford some tickets. You miss the whole ethical point that stealing is stealing; the end doesn't justify the means if one is an honest person.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

This post from Bone-tone is one of the most narcissistic ones I have read on DCP clearly symbolic of the entitlement culture.

The mms aren't the major problem of poaching. It's the adults who do this. The mms have a curiosity for sure and some are not contented with the Cappybara style of contemporary drum corps by video and computer. Live performances reveal so much more. Modern marchers don't often see their competitors live.

But to presume corps fees pay a corps' annual bills so no need to recognize the donors particularly those without kids in this corps or another, that tour fees don't have benefits (housing and food for 11 weeks, with camps included almost a college semester's worth of world class instruction, touring the nation seeing things even from a bus window or parking lot practice that one would not see at home) is ludicrous says one who has been both a corps administrator and one who at times had not a penny in the bank or my pocket to afford some tickets. You miss the whole ethical point that stealing is stealing; the end doesn't justify the means if one is an honest person.

How about people who have actually paid their own kids fees(me for nine seasons) and helped kids out with their fees who aren't related?   I guess that doesn't fit unto their silly justification. 

And here's another thing...just because I paid fees for my kid or any other kid doesn't mean I think my kid or any other kid is entitled to sit in a seat he didn't pay for. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

At most, $129?  Hey buster, you couldn't even get that right.  Three days of tickets are $305 a person..  

What a sense of entitlement! 

Edited by Terri Schehr

14 hours ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

This is really kind of unbelievable, and probably illustrates the prevailing attitude among just those members he's trying to defend.  Bone-Tone Lord, my friend, I'm going to presume you are young person.  I suggest you learn more about what it costs to sit in those seats that you, and every other MM, covets.

You have no idea what I <GIVE> to the activity every year even if not in the sweat of the schedule of the typical MM.

It's this attitude of yours, the one of entitlement, that worries us.  The lesson is not to poach; the lesson is to work hard to achieve.

As a Friend, I can't leave my shoes on the field of battle any more than you can sit in Sec. 240 of the Friends block.  We each have given our effort.

• Like 2