Who will be the darlings next year?

Honestly, my vote is for SCV Alumni.  That was the only production I enjoyed on any level whatsoever.

I also enjoyed hearing USMC drowning out the first half of recaps.

5 hours ago, ibexpercussion said:

I'm going to be a homer and Crossmen.  If they can have some member retention, and continue putting together a good music and visual package, we could possibly start seeing them knock on the door of the top 6.

Their show grew on me this year, and by finals, I liked listening to them. I had to sort of squint to minimize view of the  props, which I thought were obnoxious. But I understand Crossmen fans, performers, and staff must have thought differently. Still, I liked their show. Liked the uniforms this year, too, a nice contemporary styling of a traditional look.

Best of luck to them in 2018.

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Open class darlings. Southwind.

Definitely my favorite OC corps this year. Those soloists!

Academy will make finals. I don't know that they would now be considered a darling. But they are not going to fall backward anymore.

Cascades looks ready. 

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

Mandarins were the new The Academy this year. I hope they have a better post-darling year than The Academy did this year. Among the top 12, I'd say Boston.

For 2018, I think we shouldn't be surprised if Spirit of Atlanta, Troopers, Mandarins, or Colts put on a show that has everyone rooting for them.

Above them, I'm going give a shout out for Madison. It's their 80th, perhaps an opportune time to return to a more familiar form - but with a smarter show and more determination and polish than in the years leading up to 2017. (I still think they did well with a cool show in 2017.) It's possible such a return to form gets them some darling creds.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

My hope is for Blue Stars to be the big surprise!  I've been very impressed with Blue Stars. Even though I preferred 2016 a little more than 2017, there is certainly enough talent making its way to La Crosse.  One "It" production design and watch out!

Obviously heavy bias, but if they keep the team together, i think they'll make a move before too long. Show in 17 had some great moments but was a little disjointed (this improved a lot over the season). 

13 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Honestly, my vote is for SCV Alumni.  That was the only production I enjoyed on any level whatsoever.

I also enjoyed hearing USMC drowning out the first half of recaps.

I've read your slanted opinions of various topics and my takeaway is your distain for the activity. Your writing style and comments seem to be penned to provoke a response toward you. I suggest you find something to make YOU happy and a place your voice can be valued. I hope your not as combative and unhappy as you appear online...

• Like 2

For 2018, the Open Class corps that will be attention getters will be Guardians and Louisiana Stars. 

In WC, I would not say Boston Crusaders were the "darlings" of 2017. Around mid-July, people started realizing that the "hype" was more of a reality than expected (at least on DCP) and gained new fans. In 2018, their fan base will be huge and that's when they will be darlings.

Underdog darling: Spirit. Don't know if we'll see a 2011-2013 yet, but it will be close.

Troopers, Academy, Mandarins: they already are darlings and most likely that will not change.