Who will be the darlings next year?

it's all going to depend on who makes an unexpected move up the ranks with a wildly popular show

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's all going to depend on who makes an unexpected move up the ranks with a wildly popular show

So right.  The longer I remain a fan of this activity, the more I see that design is key,  especially for corps wanting to move up more than a couple of spots.  When a design fires on all cylinders, the performance details fall into place just that much easier.  We saw it with Academy last year and this year with Mandarins, Boston and even SCV, though obviously they were already performing at a very high level.

Kind of like a movie can't be really, really good without a really, really good script. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 11:03 AM, KVG_DC said:

I still think BK is a melodic show away from being absurdly popular.

Possibly, though I think 2017 was the most melodic show to come out of BK in years, and one of the most purely listenable shows, from beginning to end, across all of DCI. For my money, the ladder toward the top will be built on visual.

On 8/15/2017 at 1:03 PM, KVG_DC said:

I still think BK is a great visual product away from being absurdly popular.

FTFY.

Their music will be fine as long as Bocook, Jackson, Shah et al. are there. They just need a great visual product on the field. Don't get me wrong, they do pretty well visually, and the rewrites they made over the course of this past season were night and day compared to what I saw early on. But as soon as they have a drill writer and guard designer that can hit the nail on the head, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

FTFY.

Their music will be fine as long as Bocook, Jackson, Shah et al. are there. They just need a great visual product on the field. Don't get me wrong, they do pretty well visually, and the rewrites they made over the course of this past season were night and day compared to what I saw early on. But as soon as they have a drill writer and guard designer that can hit the nail on the head, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

They really are one of those corps on the brink.  As much as I have loved their shows since they modernized several years back, there is always something that leaves me wanting.  Is it visual?  I'm not sure.  I feel it is more a matter of the full package.  The design elements are there but... the whole hasn't been more than the sum of its parts.....  something every great show somehow achieves.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2