How important is the competitive aspect of Drum Corps?

1 minute ago, Ediker said:

What is competitive inertia, playing to the sheets?  I would not find this activity interesting if it were not for the competition and scores.

I understand but should it ever be a focus, or even discussed with membership?  

Competition is one of the best motivators out there. I know the kids know exactly where they are in the standings and where other groups are as well. I can guarantee the Mandarins knew Madison was keeping them from a finals appearance and that desire to beat them was definitely in the minds of the kids before their semis performance. Same thing with the Cavaliers and their push for the Bluecoats and SCV going after BD. 

The activity won't last without any competition in my opinion.

• Like 4

Competition is fine, so long as it is balanced with education.  Today, education has been tossed out the window in favor of what cannot even be described as competition, but rather as an arms race to see who can blow the biggest budgets and do the most ludicrous crap on the field.

• Like 1

I personally hated hearing staff talk about scores. It just sets you up to get upset if the judges mess something up. We had some shows where the brass score seemed a point too high and others when it seemed a point too low. I still checked the scores, but I cared more about how I felt after a show than what the judges said.

That being said, I'm sure I would have felt differently if I was in contention for a medal.

If I were a staff member, I would talk about scores as little as possible. Kids check the scores it's not like they need staff there reminding them where they are.

I'm not quite sure what the OP's question is for us here.  Why would anyone want to pay money to sleep on gym floors, sit cramped in busses, work at practice from sunup to sundown, to then go around the country to do what ?.... 20-30 unscored  exhibitions in a 9 week summer period ? Only totally friendless people would want to do such a goofy group thing as that. 95% of normal kids wouldn't, thats for sure. I would imagine that if we deemphasized the competition aspect of the activity, then the product itself would quickly erode in quality too. Whats the incentive for the perfrmer to get better ? There is none. They are not paid.. If they don't get paid or receive scholies,, and there is no scores, placements, grades, competition, then who cares what your youth MB/ Corps sounds like in Greensfield, Iowa on a hot, humid summer nite in front of people you'll never see again in your life in about another hour ?  I didn't join Drum Corps in my youth to do unpaid, unscored, non competitive, exhibitions for my summers. If that was the offering, I'd have decided to go paint houses to make a buck in my summers, or some such instead. Do 20-30 exhibitions criss crossing the country to towns 1500- 2,000 miles from my home ? No..lol!,... I don't think so... lol.... Nobody I knew in Drum Corps would either. So why is the OP asking us this silly question ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Read the chapter called, The Meaning of Competition, in the book, The Inner Game of Tennis, by Galway. It was introduced to me long ago by a great DCI designer and caption head, and it is still as relevant today..

I'm sure it's a wonderful read.  Can you share the gist of it?