A Drum Corps Fan's Dream Part Tres

19 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

As much as I'd like to hear actual music on the field today, I do sort of wonder if it wouldn't end up sounding like a Phillip Glass arrangement after being filtered through the design-by-committee process of modern corps.  I'm reminded of any number of those "_____corps modernized" videos on YouTube, and I'm sure there's one for 88 Scouts.

There is, and IMO is an instant classic 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, snare_guy_83 said:

NO MORE APPALACHIAN SPRING!!!!! It's been played like 35 times.

At least Simple gifts wasn't on the list.

I've said this somewhere on the 'music corps should do thread' but I'll repeat myself:  

More Eric Whitacre please, like hit us in the face with Lux Aurumque or Water Night (mostly brass, but maybe a little singing would be OK)

OR Morten Lauridsen's O Magnum Mysterium (brass only for this one)

Any of these played by a world class corps would be a bucket list drum corps show experience for me.  I realize these pieces have been performed on the field - but not in world class.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1956OPR said:

Jason,

Thank you for the tip. I will have to listen more closely the next time I replay The Devil's 2017 show. For the hard of hearing, could you please place where it occurs?

I honestly don't remember. I just remember hearing it.

2 hours ago, luv4corps said:

I've said this somewhere on the 'music corps should do thread' but I'll repeat myself:  

More Eric Whitacre please, like hit us in the face with Lux Aurumque or Water Night (mostly brass, but maybe a little singing would be OK)

Any of these played by a world class corps would be a bucket list drum corps show experience for me.  I realize these pieces have been performed on the field - but not in world class.

I'd love to hear Nathan Daughter's "Edge of the World" as well. It's inspired by this poem....

true things

They came to sit & dangle their feet off the edge of the world & after awhile they forgot everything but the good & true things they would do someday.

http://www.nathandaughtrey.com/percussion-ensemble/edge-of-the-world-pe/

Edited by Jason Harrison

17 hours ago, 1956OPR said:

Jason,

Thank you for the tip. I will have to listen more closely the next time I replay The Devil's 2017 show. For the hard of hearing, could you please place where it occurs?

Not Jason, but...in the opening, right before the brass comes in on the company front. Baritone-mello-trumpet (in order) on "As Time Goes By" (with Mr. Seawright saying "You may enter the field when ready.")

23 hours ago, Jason Harrison said:

What about a modern drum Corps fan's dream picked from the 2000/modern era?

adagio for strings or pure imagination would be my ballads.

Let's go with 2010 or later...and make it programmatic.

Act 1: ...to look for America (excerpts from)

Act 2: Mad World ( Mad World and THIS IS MY RIFLE)

Act 3: ...that one second (featuring Kaleidoscope of mathematics... because we never hear that one)

Act 4: Inferno/Angels and demons/ the devils staircase mash up

By the Boston Crusaders 

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2017 at 3:17 PM, StunnedMonkey said:

How about Children of Sanchez, Tiger of San Pedro, Legend of the One Eyed Sailor, and The Ice Castles Theme?

:unsure:

Children of Sanchez was certainly (and absurdly) over done, but one must admit it was about the perfect 70's drum corps chart. At least the first 5 times it was done.

The first 5 times it was done... wasn't that in the first hour and a half of DCI Prelims that year?  :tongue:

7 hours ago, luv4corps said:

Have we heard Godzilla eats Las Vegas yet? I know there was a ghost train a few years ago... ghost train is my favorite.