A Drum Corps Fan's Dream Part Tres

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

as long as the 7 shots appear

The implementation of the Thurston lick at the end of this year's Crossmen show was pretty faithful I think. Best in a while.

Edited by Hrothgar15

What about a modern drum Corps fan's dream picked from the 2000/modern era?

adagio for strings or pure imagination would be my ballads.

I would love to hear the Concord Blue Devils reprise their 1992 classic "When a Man loves a Woman".

I had hoped it would be part of their 2017 anniversary musical package but what they did this year is a classic in and of itself.

Congratulations on # 18!

1 hour ago, 1956OPR said:

I would love to hear the Concord Blue Devils reprise their 1992 classic "When a Man loves a Woman".

I had hoped it would be part of their 2017 anniversary musical package but what they did this year is a classic in and of itself.

Congratulations on # 18!

My wife would swoon if they would re do their 97 show. Yes there was a snippet this summer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jason Harrison said:

My wife would swoon if they would re do their 97 show. Yes there was a snippet this summer.

Jason,

Thank you for the tip. I will have to listen more closely the next time I replay The Devil's 2017 show. For the hard of hearing, could you please place where it occurs?

Edited by 1956OPR
add ?

Like all of these suggestions, and many of them bring back excellent memories (and some humming and rocking).

My dream right now would be if a corps could perform something new, something that is fully played - or at least fully realized - and that becomes worthy of adding alongside these classics.

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

Like all of these suggestions, and many of them bring back excellent memories (and some humming and rocking).

My dream right now would be if a corps could perform something new, something that is fully played - or at least fully realized - and that becomes worthy of adding alongside these classics.

This is an excellent point. There are a lot of old school/new school threads arguing things like unis, marching vs choregraphy/dancing, electronics, etc...but to me the biggest loss from DCI of my youth is the music being played. It used to be that when a corps played a piece of music, they played the piece of music and you'd have that in you head all year. Or in the case of classics, 30 years. Now it seems as if music...even if it's a well known piece...is merely a few phrases here and there presented in a disjointed manner and seems (to me) to be completely unmemorable. When I was a youth we couldn't wait to get the LP's of that year's top 12. I can't imagine listening to an audio recording corps today, especially if I'd never seen the accompanying visuals. 

I suppose it's the move towards visual emphasis, where the music is just there to complement the choreography as opposed to the other way around. Madison's 2011 closer is about the closest modern show I can think of that reminded me (musically) of an old school show. If course it'll never make a classic highlight reel because...copyright.

Edited by StunnedMonkey

20 hours ago, ouooga said:

Malagauena. Literally just play Malaga and Malaguena and call it good.

This was actually the first thing that came to mind for me.  I wouldn't mind MacArthur Park either.  Would love to see Madison do that again but I think the best corps to pull it off based on 2017 programs is the Bluecoats.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Well that was 28-29 years ago of the POTO rehash from the previous season. Wouldn't fly today at all. 

Can you imagine Crown coming out next year with "It Is Again"? Would GE scores be good or bad because it isn't anything new?

They'd want to sound more intriguing so "It is still...?"