Some thoughts on 2017

58 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I'm just the only one here at this moment willing to put up with the trolls in this community 

This is ironic on so many levels, it's actually kinda funny 

• Like 5

On 8/16/2017 at 3:28 PM, Hrothgar15 said:

I don't really know what changed, and I've always found post-2000 drum corps mostly incredible (even if there's stuff I've hated), but four days after finals I can safely say 2017 has been my favorite year in a while from an entertainment standpoint. Some observations:

• Designs and concepts have been largely mature, and pieced together maturely, rather than insipidly as has happened in the past. Gone are the preachy, one-dimensional, kindergartener-esque themes I remember from some shows not too long ago. Enigma, Wicked Games, It Is and Ouroborous were all refined themes with integrity of meaning that could stand up to artistic scrutiny. There is even flexibility for essentially "themeless" drum corps shows like Jagged Line, diversity that should be more than welcome again. The closest to missing the mark were Phantom Regiment (and only because of the repeated voiceover and its implementation) and perhaps Blue Stars, in its cliche and limited depth.
  • Musical design is more mature as well, flows much better and seems much more listenable. Source music across the board was the most substantial as I can remember it being recently, and same goes with the integrity of the arrangements. Corps are doing a much better job presenting music, rather than "using" it to support a theme, and there is more seamlessness and less chop-and-bop as a result. One corps even played a good minute or two of music with almost identical arrangements as their 1983 and 1990 shows, which is the true test. I'm not really sure what changed, since arrangers remain mostly the same, but I do feel the pendulum has swung back in the right direction.
  • Hornlines are starting the emphasize volume again. I'm talking sustained, full-out ensemble moments featured meaningfully throughout every show as a default mode of musical presentation, reminiscent of the characteristic shows of the '90s. Tone quality hasn't been sacrificed per se, but 15 years after Frameworks, corps don't seem to be focusing on it at the expense of volume anymore. Even younger corps like the Crossmen, who would sound tiny (think their 2008 Planets show) as a result of pedagogical concerns, sounded big this year. Could just be that I was sitting on the 50 on row 9, but there a ton of moments I can remember of just pure sustained power, or HUGE successive stabs of brass and percussion that were actually somewhat visceral, especially from corps like Boston, Bluecoats, Crown and SCV. Possibly the season during wish I barely even wished for what I was hearing to be played on G bugles, which was surprising to me.
  • Pacing of when the full ensemble plays, and thus of shows in generally musically, is night and day even from last year. In 2016 virtually every show would start with a full corps buildup to a hit, followed by *only the percussion* playing for the next minute or two. It would basically set the stage for the brass not really being an integral part of the show. This year seemed to eschew that construction completely. Not sure how this changed so quickly, and this year could've been a fluke. (SCV still had issues with this this year, my literal only gripe about this show.)
  • At many of the outdoor venues I was at, especially Chester, amplification was overbearing. But being in Lucas Oil for three days made it clear that the balance and volume are intended for the acoustics of that stadium. Somehow the amplified elements seems less piercing, and more willing to blend. Even the thunderous goo wasn't as egregious as I can remember in recent years when I sat even higher up.

What other observations have you noticed after this season, and what have you noticed about these in particular?

Fantastic and well thought out topic! On your points:

1. While I agree with the examples you gave and I would like to add the Mandarins to that list with "Ink"... I disagree with your comment on themes as a generalization is wrong.  While this year had some amazing show designs and fantastic diversity...there were also immature themes.

2. In general yes. However there were at least 3 shows in the top 12 that has choppy music flow and only used it to support a theme.

3. I totally agree with this observation.  As a trumpet player who has a love for full brass balance...this year was wonderful from top to bottom on Semis.  When I went to finals in 2012 the only show I could attach myself to was Carolina Crown because it was the only show that the hornline WOWed me.  This year there were a lot of hornline that had a WOW factor...and I sat 3rd row on the 50 in Massillon and even though it was used not one hornline needed amplification.  Crown, Bluecoats, Boston, SCV, even the Cadets had great raw brass moments.

4. Yes. In general the pacing is much better... especially when comparing the early 00s until now.  I think there were a lot of great shows in 2008,2010,2014, and 2015 as well though.

5. I was at such positions outdoors and indoors that I can't comment on this.  It would make sense to cater to indoors since that is where finals are but it's unfortunate for fans since the majority of shows are outdoors.

I think this was one of the most diverse years for the top 12 this year.  It was also the first time that there was not one show that I found absolutely cringe-worthy.  

Nice to see an OP with really positive things to say about the activity and though I concur with more of it than not, I have to vehemently disagree with the even the thunderous goo wasn't as egregious as I can remember in recent years part.  IMO it was worse than ever this year and nowhere was it more obvious to me than during prelims at the theater.  And though not specifically a thunderous goo issue, I also attended one live show in which the top placing corps pinned my ears to the wall with their woofers and tweeters.  I want to be plastered with glorious brass blasts, not a sound system.

If corps can get the goo, amplification & electronics under control, the activity is greater than ever. 

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 5

I enjoyed 2017 quite a bit, but I'd say not as much as 2016. Thinking about individual corps and which of the two years I preferred more...

BD: 16
SCV: 17
Crown: 16 (by far)
Bluecoats: essentially equal
Cavaliers: essentially equal
Boston: 17
Cadets: 16, I think
Blue Knights: 16
Phantom Regiment: 17 (by far)
Blue Stars: 16
Xmen: essentially equal
Madison: 16 (by far)
Academy: 16
Colts: 17

• Like 1

I simply do NOT understand why someone who clearly hates modern drum corps so much even logs on to DCP.  Seriously, take your bitter self and go find something else to do with your time, dude!  I may be a Boston homer..and I may spar with or discuss issues  with someone from Cadets or Crown or Bloo, but at least we all love this activity and we also all support SOMEBODY!

Perhaps you'd be happier if you just didn't come on here anymore. I know we would.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I enjoyed 2017 quite a bit, but I'd say not as much as 2016. Thinking about individual corps and which of the two years I preferred more...

BD: 16
SCV: 17
Crown: 16 (by far)
Bluecoats: essentially equal
Cavaliers: essentially equal
Boston: 17
Cadets: 16, I think
Blue Knights: 16
Phantom Regiment: 17 (by far)
Blue Stars: 16
Xmen: essentially equal
Madison: 16 (by far)
Academy: 16
Colts: 17

For me:

BD: 17 by far

SCV: 17 (although 15 was my favorite)

Crown: Actually didn't like either show.  Thought the percussion improved miles this year. Bring back 2007-2015 show styles please.

Bluecoats: 17 but they have been hitting a lot of home runs the past few years

Cavaliers: 16 best show since 2010 for them

Boston: 17...for the record 2015 was one of my least favorite DCI shows ever.

Cadets:   16 and I thought it was their most enjoyable show since 2012

BK- 2016 but both shows were great

XMen- their 2016 program was my 3rd favorite of the year. 2017 was good too but their were a lot of great programs this year.

Madison: 2017 by far...

The Academy: 2016 was magical for them but this year was great too.

Phantom: 2017

Mandarins: 2017

The majority of the corps I selected 2017 for I thought improved by miles while most corps I selected 2016 for also had a good 2017 program...which is why I like 2017 better. 2015, on the other hand, contained 3 of my all time favorite shows but also contained some of the most cringe-worthy shows of all time for me...very polarizing year.

So 

2015: both awesome and terrible. The best and the worst

2016: meh with some highlights

2017: Overall a really good year. No shows I hate

15 minutes ago, craiga said:

I simply do NOT understand why someone who clearly hates modern drum corps so much even logs on to DCP.  Seriously, take your bitter self and go find something else to do with your time, dude!  I may be a Boston homer..and I may spar with or discuss issues  with someone from Cadets or Crown or Bloo, but at least we all love this activity and we also all support SOMEBODY!

Perhaps you'd be happier if you just didn't come on here anymore. I know we would.

Honestly, you don't need to understand.  And your happiness is not why I'm here.

I too share a passion for the activity, but not for where it is headed.  And I will continue to speak out against it, whether you like it or not.  I would, however, like to remind you that this message board, along with any other message board, is a place to share opinions and ideas.  Nowhere in the site's terms of service does it say that those opinions and ideas must conform with yours, nor do they say that I'm required to withhold said opinions and ideas because you don't wish to discuss them.

The OP asked for our thoughts.  I gave mine.  And I will continue to do so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My preferences:

BD: It's a tie for me. From a musical standpoint, 2017. From a visual standpoint, 2016.

SCV: 2017 by a close margin.

Crown: 2016, but before they changed the ending.

Cavaliers: 2016. I appreciated the performance energy of 2017, but hated the choppiness of the music arrangements.

Bluecoats: I enjoyed both equally.

Boston: 2017 by far.

Cadets: I'll pass. I didn't enjoy either show.

BK: 2017. Like the Cavaliers this year, I did not like the choppiness of the 2016 arrangements at all.

Phantom Regiment: 2016. If 2017 didn't have the annoying voiceovers, I would have gone with that show.

Blue Stars: 2016.

Crossmen: 2016. With both them and the Blue Stars, they performed better in 2017, but had worse show designs.

Madison Scouts: I'll pass. Like Cadets, I was never a big fan of either.

Mandarins: 2017 by far.

Academy: 2016 by far.

Colts: No comment. Their 2017 show is one of the only World Class shows this season that I haven't seen any content of.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Thank you. 

• Like 1