Some thoughts on 2017

1 minute ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

But for how much longer?

Too many changes for the sake of simply changing.  None warranted, and none cost-efficient.

Not sure, but this growth didn't really start until around the 2013 season (someone fact check me on that). Doesn't seem to be letting up anytime soon. As corps are starting to bring out more mature programs that adhere to the newer rules, more and more people can't seem to be getting enough of it. 

14 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

...not all of us have given up on expressing our displeasure to the ones who could do something about it

Your point of view is completely valid. The activity needs people who care to help guide its future. It also needs to remain interesting and relevant while retaining enough of what makes it special. Posting on DCP is one way to attempt to influence the activity. Another would be to get involved with one (or more) organizations to help guide their direction. If your ideas are successful, it can convince "the ones who can do something about it".  Keeping this activity great benefits everyone. 

• Like 1

16 vs 17 comparison for me:

BD - 2016.  Though that ballad was amazing this year.  Last year was more cohesive, better visual, and great ballad and closer.  

SCV - 2016.  Not even close.  Much better visually and musically.  2017 technically impressive, but did little for me.

Crown - 2016.  Grew to really enjoy 2017 too though

Cavaliers - 2016.  Not even close.  2017 too jumbled and add for me

Bluecoats.  2016 was fresh and original while 2017 felt like a stale repeat, done less cleanly

Boston - 2017.  I actually loved 2016, but this year was amazing in every way (drill, story, ballad, closing effects)

Cadets - hmmm.  Well...  neither?  Side by side and 10 seem so long ago..,

Blue Knights - a toss up.  Loving BK for 4 years running.  I'll say 2016 - better visually

Phantom - 2017, but only because of the ballad and closer.  I actually really liked 2016.  Memories impacted by the horrible illness impacting performance & impact last year

blue stars - a toss up.  I loved themboth years.  I'll go with 2017z one of my favorites of the year, despite the Moulin Rouge part.

Crossmen - 2016 by a lot.  God those props were awful this year.

madison - see Cadets.  I didnt like either year.  Would much rather have seen wonderful Mandarins Saturday night

mandarins- 2017.  Duh.  Pure brilliance & the show of the year.

Academy - 2016.  Not even close, though I grew to enjoy 2017

harvey

In 2016, I was blown away by Open Class corps, and while I was not caught by surprise quite the way I was in 2016, what impressed me this year is how the individual personalities of the Open Class corps are developing. If you have the opportunity to see OC corps and miss it, it's your loss.

For WC

Blue Devils: 2017 was much more cohesive.

SCV: not my favorite SCV show, but it was still a powerhouse. 

Crown: Take the 2017 musical book and combine a guard like previous years, what a show it would have been.

Bluecoats: for me, too similar to 16 but they did not fail to excite.

Cavies: 16 was more original but 2017 had some great humor. 

BAC: 17 was a stronger show, as a fan I was pleased with the progress. While 2017 was a better show, I did enjoy 2016 and wondered what the 2017 team  could have done with the 2016 material.

Cadets: I said enough during the season. A third year of decline is too bad for a corps that used to be known for excellence.

BK: 2016 was probably a better show, but I loved 2017.

Phantom: 2016. 

Blue Stars and Crossmen: toss up, loved both shows both years.

Madison: glad they made finals. Pick up where you left on in 2015.

Mandarins: 2017 showed maturity and growth.

Academy: 2016 was a better show but 2017 was fun.

Colts: 2017

Troopers: toss up.

Spirit: 2017--you're on the rebound.

Pacific Crest: 2016

Oregon Crusaders: 2017--loved Enya.

Jersey Surf: 2017. Yo worked that show.

Genesis: Toss up. Thought 2017 was a great entry to WC, but 2016 "Hell Hath No Fury" was pretty original.

Seattle Cascades: 2016

Pioneer: 2017 has lots of great moments, underscored n prelims.

• Like 1

The improvement in the quality of corps who were just outside the top twelve made me more likely to tune in early for shows on Flo...where in the past i might have waited until the "big KIDS" came on i found myself(particularly finals week) really appreciating the second tier corps and their improved presentations..this bodes well for DCI because if i'm paying anywhere from 25 to 100 plus dollars for live or streamed video shows, I feel I'm getting my money's worth..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

The improvement in the quality of corps who were just outside the top twelve made me more likely to tune in early for shows on Flo...where in the past i might have waited until the "big KIDS" came on i found myself(particularly finals week) really appreciating the second tier corps and their improved presentations..this bodes well for DCI because if i'm paying anywhere from 25 to 100 plus dollars for live or streamed video shows, I feel I'm getting my money's worth..

Yes.. the quality of the Corps just outside the Top 12 ... heck even in the Open Class.... is getting better and better all the time it appears now.

• Like 2

Being a dinosaur, I don't much care for the chop-shop approach to music composition. (They all do it). I loath the use of synthesized bass as it takes no talent to press a key on a keyboard and I would much rather hear it organically from the brass line.

Percussion writing, IMO, seems to be in competition with and not a complement to the brass charts, often times playing a large number of notes needlessly.

However, conceptually, there were many good shows that (IMO) would have been even better with less percussion breaks in the middle of a musical phrase.

Lastly, if you have to stand still to play a difficult phrase of music, perhaps you should practice more so you can do it while moving. But then again, I am a dinosaur so, what do I know? 

• Like 3

Blue Devils: I liked the visual and the ballad much more in 2016. I loved the ballad this year, but it wasn't really a ballad than a slow jam-out session

SCV: 2016, no question. Glad they medaled this year and were 'technically' better, but music kind of bored me in the first half.

Crown: Wasn't a huge fan of 2016 at the time (aversion to westerns, maybe?) but no question 2016

Bluecoats: Jagged Line was nice, but 2016 had more oomph.

Cavies: Both obnoxious. 2016 made me laugh at the Trump part. I did like the rotating tenor gimmick this year (a return to Cavie gimmicks). I call a draw.

BAC: didn't like 2016 at all no matter where they would have placed, while 2017 was one of my favorite shows of the summer.

Cadets: 2017 

BK: 2016. Probably weirder, but more emotion.

Phantom: 2017, wonder what could have been with larger and full sounding horn line 

Blue Stars: 2016 

Crossmen: 2017

Madison: would be a draw. I loved '99 so just by that association 2016. Or not..I dunno.

Mandarins: I remember when they were competing with Cascades in Div. 2 and how good they were. Hadn't remembered what they played between then and 2017, sorry.

Academy: 2016, but they came far this year

Colts: 2017, though 2016 was a step-back

Troopers: 2016 by far

On 8/19/2017 at 5:33 PM, Cappybara said:

Unfortunate that such a positive and insightful post went largely ignored except for one poster who hates anything and everything about modern drum corps. 

i just got around to it. i tend to agree with all he said, minus the comparisons to 16....i didnt find 16 nearly as bad as the OP