Some thoughts on 2017

18 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Percussion writing, IMO, seems to be in competition with and not a complement to the brass charts, often times playing a large number of notes needlessly.

I get what you mean. It's definitely a challenge to integrate a strong, full percussion line, while giving them worthy parts, and keeping it all musical.  They either need to be featured properly or expertly integrated. 86 BD, 87 SCV, and 87 Phantom had memorable features. 87 Cadets were great in that the percussion writing provided the "hook" into many of the big brass hits. Cadets' 88 drumline won top marks with an almost understated presence. 91 SCV wowed everyone by designing great GE presence for their percussionists  

It's a huge challenge to make the brass and percussion enhance each other, and come off well musically.  What a treat when the designers get it right. 

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

I get what you mean. It's definitely a challenge to integrate a strong, full percussion line, while giving them worthy parts, and keeping it all musical.  They either need to be featured properly or expertly integrated. 86 BD, 87 SCV, and 87 Phantom had memorable features. 87 Cadets were great in that the percussion writing provided the "hook" into many of the big brass hits. Cadets' 88 drumline won top marks with an almost understated presence. 91 SCV wowed everyone by designing great GE presence for their percussionists  

It's a huge challenge to make the brass and percussion enhance each other, and come off well musically.  What a treat when the designers get it right. 

They haven't gotten it right in a long time.  Sounds like tennis shoes in a dryer today.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ediker said:

I agree that 'when they get it right' it's awesome, but I also agree with Bobby Collins, it's been a long time since it's happened. Don't get me wrong, percussion lines have come a LONG way however, IMO, at the expense of brass lines.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

.I agree with rocketman that some percussion interludes seemed to be competing with the brass book..coming out of nowhere and going nowhere in particular..it did showcase very skilled percussionists but at what cost

This was probably my biggest gripe with SCV's show this year. 

6 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

They haven't gotten it right in a long time.  Sounds like tennis shoes in a dryer today.

Just curious, when was the last time you saw a show live?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wilme861 said:

Just curious, when was the last time you saw a show live?

2006. I remembered from his first post in a long time here. He pretty much vowed from that point forward that he'd never see another live show again.

On 8/22/2017 at 0:23 PM, Rocketman said:

Percussion writing, IMO, seems to be in competition with and not a complement to the brass charts, often times playing a large number of notes needlessly.

Wait///What?  You said you are a Dinosaur and yet you wrote this?  It's DRUM CORPS duhhhh.  That is the whole point to play intricate patterns and get judged on them.  If you came to be swooned with delicate musical passages go to the F'n symphony.  I would much rather be wowed by a line standing still playing something I didn't even know was possible than to see a bunch of running around playng buzz rolls and digity digity all night!  BLOW ME AWAY!

• Like 2

Quite an interesting dynamic between the percussionists and brass players on this site 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, flammaster said:

Wait///What?  You said you are a Dinosaur and yet you wrote this?  It's DRUM CORPS duhhhh.  That is the whole point to play intricate patterns and get judged on them.  If you came to be swooned with delicate musical passages go to the F'n symphony.  I would much rather be wowed by a line standing still playing something I didn't even know was possible than to see a bunch of running around playng buzz rolls and digity digity all night!  BLOW ME AWAY!

Umm, that's not really what I was referring to. My issue is, the percussion writing, a lot of the time, does a disservice to the brass arranging. It is almost as if someone told the percussion (battery) arranger, 'you have this many counts of music to write, GO!' and just stuck it with the brass charts. (slight exaggeration) 

An example of this that immediately comes to mind is, early in the season the percussion parts for Regiment during the beginning of the opener. The brass line was playing a rather soft melodic section while the drummers were jamming away, a total distraction.

• Like 1