Some thoughts on 2017

On 8/19/2017 at 5:41 PM, Bobby L. Collins said:

Yeah, don't act like I'm the only one out there who feels the way I do.  I'm just the only one here at this moment willing to put up with the trolls in this community who don't want to talk about it.  There have been many before me, and there will be many after me.

it aint changing, do dont feel you have to come back

• Like 1

On 8/19/2017 at 9:46 PM, luv4corps said:

There were a fair amount of people on the prelims thread who experienced the same in their respective theaters.  Thunderous bass goo to beat all thunderous bass goo.

the problem with the theater isnt the corps, but where the broadcast puts the mics

On 8/20/2017 at 8:35 PM, Cappybara said:

Not sure, but this growth didn't really start until around the 2013 season (someone fact check me on that). Doesn't seem to be letting up anytime soon. As corps are starting to bring out more mature programs that adhere to the newer rules, more and more people can't seem to be getting enough of it. 

• Thanks 1

I think that in spite of overuse of amplification, etc. (all the troubling things debated on here about this season), 2017 was great – full of wonder and amazement and awesomeness.

I thought it might be enlightening to hear how the Vanderbilt show affected a friend of mine and her sister who are in their 50’s, were in marching band in high school, and hadn’t been to a drum corps show since the 90’s.  My enthusiasm for drum corps infected them and since we all live in Nashville, they bought really good seats early in the season and went to the show – totally unprepared for what they were going to see and hear.

They loved it.  They LOVED IT!  Yes, they commented on a couple of the vocalists but not with great disgust or disdain, just that some were better than others.  They were fascinated by the props and how cleverly they were used, especially Bluecoats and Cavaliers’ props.  I can’t remember them being bored by any show and they are already planning to come back next year.

My friend came over to watch finals at my house via FloMarching and stayed happily for hours watching show after show after show.  She said “You’ve got me hooked now!”

I’m glad that 2017 was the year to re-introduce her to drum corps.  I think that people who are just now seeing their first drum corps shows, not having past decades to compare them with, are quickly becoming great fans of this activity.  That gives me joy.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Being a dinosaur, I don't much care for the chop-shop approach to music composition. (They all do it). I loath the use of synthesized bass as it takes no talent to press a key on a keyboard and I would much rather hear it organically from the brass line.

Percussion writing, IMO, seems to be in competition with and not a complement to the brass charts, often times playing a large number of notes needlessly.

However, conceptually, there were many good shows that (IMO) would have been even better with less percussion breaks in the middle of a musical phrase.

Lastly, if you have to stand still to play a difficult phrase of music, perhaps you should practice more so you can do it while moving. But then again, I am a dinosaur so, what do I know? 

Sometimes less is more..one of DCI's more memorable moments consisted of a single snare drum effect(BK)..I agree with rocketman that some percussion interludes seemed to be competing with the brass book..coming out of nowhere and going nowhere in particular..it did showcase very skilled percussionists but at what cost

• Like 1

On 8/19/2017 at 8:03 PM, Bobby L. Collins said:

Honestly, you don't need to understand.  And your happiness is not why I'm here.

I too share a passion for the activity, but not for where it is headed.  And I will continue to speak out against it, whether you like it or not.  I would, however, like to remind you that this message board, along with any other message board, is a place to share opinions and ideas.  Nowhere in the site's terms of service does it say that those opinions and ideas must conform with yours, nor do they say that I'm required to withhold said opinions and ideas because you don't wish to discuss them.

The OP asked for our thoughts.  I gave mine.  And I will continue to do so.

His wife beats him and kicks his dog.

I haven't seen a positive post out of him in, oh, 227 or so although he's made a couple of funny quips.

His M.O. is to simply make everyone feel bad for supporting something he hates, that's all.

He's already ignored me, so I just follow along behind him rubbing antiseptic on everything he posts.

:16_relieved:

(Psst, Bobby, glad to know you finally read the terms of service, and I know the mods are, too.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Percussion writing, IMO, seems to be in competition with and not a complement to the brass charts, often times playing a large number of notes needlessly.

Mozart apparently suffered from this same malady.

But no matter.  As he felt, each and every partial note in that percussion writing was (is) necessary.  It's the thing that attracts the best players and pushes the bar of excellence so high.

Much to Bobby's chagrin, I'm sure.

13 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

I think that in spite of overuse of amplification, etc. (all the troubling things debated on here about this season), 2017 was great – full of wonder and amazement and awesomeness.

I thought it might be enlightening to hear how the Vanderbilt show affected a friend of mine and her sister who are in their 50’s, were in marching band in high school, and hadn’t been to a drum corps show since the 90’s.  My enthusiasm for drum corps infected them and since we all live in Nashville, they bought really good seats early in the season and went to the show – totally unprepared for what they were going to see and hear.

They loved it.  They LOVED IT!  Yes, they commented on a couple of the vocalists but not with great disgust or disdain, just that some were better than others.  They were fascinated by the props and how cleverly they were used, especially Bluecoats and Cavaliers’ props.  I can’t remember them being bored by any show and they are already planning to come back next year.

My friend came over to watch finals at my house via FloMarching and stayed happily for hours watching show after show after show.  She said “You’ve got me hooked now!”

I’m glad that 2017 was the year to re-introduce her to drum corps.  I think that people who are just now seeing their first drum corps shows, not having past decades to compare them with, are quickly becoming great fans of this activity.  That gives me joy.

You're obviously a shill, a dupe, a luddite, a conman, with no brains, no common sense, nothing to add, a lemming, part of the herd, and lover of "circle jerks".  Just ask a certain disgruntled poster here whose first name is Bobby.

Welcome to the club!   Come on in and bathe in the chocolate that is DCP.  You're now part of a long, distinguished line of similar mindless zombies.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It's kind of hilarious that the person who is vastly outnumbered on this website refers to the majority as "trolls".   Am I the only one amused by this?  Because I am.  A LOT. 

I even posted the wiki definition, but he's ignored me so he'll never see it.

I laugh amusingly at each one of his vitriolic comments.  (In fairness, he did post a funny quip or two; credit where credit is due.)

• Like 1