What defines best? Placement or score? Or something else?

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I still prefer their "RED" show but this one was very good. Perhaps they mean "best improvement" in one season?

Adding: wording it "one of their very best" would have been more precise and less a conclusion on the writer's part  

If I had to pick a best for Boston, it would definitely be Red.

• Like 1

DCI is trying to market the corps so they will use "best" whenever they can.

But personally, placement is more important than score. Scores change a lot from judge to judge; placements don't. The fact that they beat all but 5 corps is more important than the score.

The accolades in that article for the Boston Crusaders was laudable, so why nit pic. But the article said " capping off their best season in their 77 year history". Boston had their highest score in DCI history, and without any doubt their best Corps in DCI years, and even in the pre DCI  years as well, imo. But for the record, the Boston Crusaders have National Championship winning Titles in " their 77 year History " as well as a few Medalist winning seasons at the National Championships ( when there were far more Corps than today ). The article probably should have simply stated " DCI years" as its " best season ever  " timeline, instead of stating "best season "  in their 77 years , But... its a minor point, not to quibble, on an otherwise fantastic write up regarding Boston's fabulous season this year.

Edited by BRASSO

3 hours ago, ouooga said:

Not sure if this warrants a new thread or not. I was reading the article about Finals on DCI.org, and this quote caught my eye:

That word best stuck out to me. I checked, it looks like this was their best score, but Boston's been in 5th place twice (00 and 02) in their history and 6th once too (03) so not their best placement. I really don't consider scores comparable from year to year, so if we're basing it on that I feel like it's not really valid. Or is it because they jumped six places in a season (is that a record for Boston, or anyone else for that matter?)

Basically I'm trying to figure out, how would one go about defining a corps' best season. If you think a particular show/season is the best for a specific corps, why is it their best? Just show design? Score? Placement? Increasing placement from last year? It was a great season for Boston, don't get me wrong. I'm really just curious if DCP agrees with that statement or if you all define best on something else.

ouooga,

I have one ? and one comment and one answer.

If we were to choose a different word to replace "best" in that article, what would it be?

I believe the answer is entirely subjective.

If I had to choose from among 4 results for the Regiment ( 1st place in 2008 @ 98.125. 1st place in 1996 @ 97.400, 2nd place in 2006 @ 96.850 or 6th place in 2010 @ 93.150) my brain would certainly say 2008 but my heart would say 2006 and my soul would say 2010.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

But for the record, the Boston Crusaders have National Championship winning Titles in " their 77 year History "

As someone who has been following the activity since 1960, I am unaware of what years Boston won National Championships.  I am assuming you mean VFW or American Legion.  If it was before 1960, I would definitely not know that.  I know they won CYO Nationals more than once, but that was an invitational competition, not a true National Championship.  Would love to know this.

2 hours ago, JFitz19 said:

As someone who has been following the activity since 1960, I am unaware of what years Boston won National Championships.  I am assuming you mean VFW or American Legion.  .

AL/ VFW/ World Open/  CYO Nationals were considered by many to be the the defacto National Championships competitions in the pre DCI years. Depending on the venues, it was not uncommon in some years ( from post War 2 to the DCI formation in 1972 ) for not every top Corps to attend these defacto National Championships however. Boston did not go to some of these de facto National Championships, for example, on the West Coast. (and West Coast Corps did not always make in East some years when one or more of these National Championships were held back east either  )  Nevertheless, Boston won the World Open Championships in '66, 67, CYO Nationals 64,66,67, Al Legion Championships in '67 ( although in dispute, as Cavaliers can claim the '67 Al Nationals Championships, as unexplainably inspection scores were made an unprecedented set aside for Finals.. Boston won the prelims. )

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, 1956OPR said:

ouooga,

If we were to choose a different word to replace "best" in that article, what would it be?

If I had to choose from among 4 results for the Regiment ( 1st place in 2008 @ 98.125. 1st place in 1996 @ 97.400, 2nd place in 2006 @ 96.850 or 6th place in 2010 @ 93.150) my brain would certainly say 2008 but my heart would say 2006 and my soul would say 2010.

You hit the operative word sir............... subjective, Does a score dictate best? No. I totally agree with your reasoning, PR and otherwise.

There should be more people with your enlightenment .

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I still prefer their "RED" show but this one was very good. Perhaps they mean "best improvement" in one season?

Adding: wording it "one of their very best" would have been more precise and less a conclusion on the writer's part  

As someone who is only familiar with BAC's field product over the past few years, I apologize in advance to all MPB, HP and Boston Crusaders fans for trying to ascertain what BAC's best season has been. But if I substitute "productive" for best, it appears to me that 1967 might qualify.

Your corps placed first in 11 regional and national contests, including the CYO and World Open events and in the other 2 competitions BAC was second (to the Cavaliers by .433 in the American Legion finals and to Blessed Sacrament in the National Dream contest).

It appears as though things have been tough since 1973 and a bit rough since 1999 but all indications are that BAC IS BACK and I sincerely hope you achieve your first DCI championship soon {but selfishly hope it is not at the expense of my beloved Regiment).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1956OPR said:

ouooga,

1 hour ago, oldcadetsop said:

You hit the operative word sir............... subjective, Does a score dictate best? No. I totally agree with your reasoning, PR and otherwise.

There should be more people with your enlightenment .

This has been something I've said before during the season when you hear people going back and forth over who is the "best" corps. The answer totally depends on what we are talking about when we say "best" corps. Even then, you're just going to get subjective answers but we are on a discussion board anyways to voice our subjective opinions on stuff...

1 hour ago, 1956OPR said:

As someone who is only familiar with BAC's field product over the past few years, I apologize in advance to all MPB, HP and Boston Crusaders fans for trying to ascertain what BAC's best season has been. But if I substitute "productive" for best, it appears to me that 1967 might qualify.

Your corps placed first in 11 regional and national contests, including the CYO and World Open events and in the other 2 competitions BAC was second (to the Cavaliers by .433 in the American Legion finals and to Blessed Sacrament in the National Dream contest).

It appears as though things have been tough since 1973 and a bit rough since 1999 but all indications are that BAC IS BACK and I sincerely hope you achieve your first DCI championship soon {but selfishly hope it is not at the expense of my beloved Regiment).

Yes, the Boston Crusaders won 29 Competitions in 1967 ( 29-2).. thats a pretty productive season by any measure.

This takes nothing away in the least either from the 2017 edition of the Boston Crusaders, as this was undeniably their best Corps ever in the DCI years, if not ever.