What defines best? Placement or score? Or something else?

Not sure if this warrants a new thread or not. I was reading the article about Finals on DCI.org, and this quote caught my eye:

The Boston Crusaders (6th, 92.962) capped off the best season in their 77-year history, improving upon last year's finish by six placements and nearly nine points.

That word best stuck out to me. I checked, it looks like this was their best score, but Boston's been in 5th place twice (00 and 02) in their history and 6th once too (03) so not their best placement. I really don't consider scores comparable from year to year, so if we're basing it on that I feel like it's not really valid. Or is it because they jumped six places in a season (is that a record for Boston, or anyone else for that matter?)

Basically I'm trying to figure out, how would one go about defining a corps' best season. If you think a particular show/season is the best for a specific corps, why is it their best? Just show design? Score? Placement? Increasing placement from last year? It was a great season for Boston, don't get me wrong. I'm really just curious if DCP agrees with that statement or if you all define best on something else.

Best to me means the best you can be. Nothing else. If you gave all, score or placement does not matter.

I  will give an example I just had a conversation with a FMM I marched with, and his son that just finished with Cadets.

In 86 we faced adversity,and after all was said and done finished 4th.

MY buds son finished 7th this year.

There is no way in hell, that our 86 corps could compete with this years Cadets. I know different times.

Best is the best YOU can be. Work your ### off and be proud. Be it 1st 0r 50th.

If you can walk off the field knowing you did your best. Nuff said.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Not sure if this warrants a new thread or not. I was reading the article about Finals on DCI.org, and this quote caught my eye:

That word best stuck out to me. I checked, it looks like this was their best score, but Boston's been in 5th place twice (00 and 02) in their history and 6th once too (03) so not their best placement. I really don't consider scores comparable from year to year, so if we're basing it on that I feel like it's not really valid. Or is it because they jumped six places in a season (is that a record for Boston, or anyone else for that matter?)

Basically I'm trying to figure out, how would one go about defining a corps' best season. If you think a particular show/season is the best for a specific corps, why is it their best? Just show design? Score? Placement? Increasing placement from last year? It was a great season for Boston, don't get me wrong. I'm really just curious if DCP agrees with that statement or if you all define best on something else.

BTW, you bring up a nice questions. Kudos. I am interested in the responses.

I had a bud that bowled a perfect game in bowling and won a major world tournament.

A few year later, he won another tournament in the professional/world. He did not throw a perfect game. But said it was the best he ever threw a ball.

Edited by oldcadetsop
  • Like 1

Scores can't be compared year to year, and quality of corps varies year to year too. There really isn't any objective way to evaluate this. 

Best is going to be defined differently by each individual unless there's a stark contrast in Boston's performances that are considered among the best.

• Like 2

While I pay attention to scores during the season - especially hitting 70, 80, 90 - at the end of the season it's the final placement that matters to me, but it's not everything.

If the MM had a rewarding experience and felt they did their very best, then it was a successful season. 

• Like 2

Watching scores as a fan I get. As a marching member I would be shocked if 70% checked scores on a daily basis.

The good thing about as you said, as long as the member grew, matured, gained improvement.

I will openly say I did not like crown early on this year. The more I saw them, live and thru internet and Flo. I must say, that hornline is for the ages. They brought it this year. Despite the mic problems they still brought it.

Despite the finals mishap, they worked though it. Especially the vocalist. It would have been easy to tank it. But they did the BEST they had at their hand at that moment.

• Like 1

Best is a marketing word that is commonly used in advertising because he withstands legal challenges as a claim. Best can mean several. You can have 10 best  where as if you say the number one seller, you have to have something to back the claim

it's a wiggle word that should sound an internal alarm for further inspection  

or at least it was back in the day when I learned it 

• Like 1

It's also weird how the writer of the article claims not only best, but best in the corps' long history. So this goes beyond just comparing scores and placements, but now we're talking pre-DCI competitions too. "Best" to me is very subjective.

Edited by Narrow
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Narrow said:

It's also weird how the writer of the article claims not only best, but best in the corps' long history. So this goes beyond just comparing scores and placements, but now we're talking pre-DCI competitions too. "Best" to me is very subjective.

I still prefer their "RED" show but this one was very good. Perhaps they mean "best improvement" in one season?

Adding: wording it "one of their very best" would have been more precise and less a conclusion on the writer's part  

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2