What defines best? Placement or score? Or something else?

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

No. The Prelims scores were not " ignored " Jfitz19. Boston won the AL prelims fair and square in '67. I was there as well. I competed in it.( prelims )

I meant only that Boston should not have gone on first, as they won Prelims.  Boston should have gone on last or next to last, if Cavies were given the last spot option as defending champion.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JFitz19 said:

I meant only that Boston should not have gone on first, as they won Prelims.  Boston should have gone on last or next to last, if Cavies were given the last spot option as defending champion.  

Ok.. now I see what you mean.

4 hours ago, JFitz19 said:

Do you mean that Boston was assessed a one point penalty for an overage tenor drummer?  Seems my memories of this show may be a bit off 50 years later!

I don't believe there was a penalty.  But since the judges knew why Boston was down to two tenors it might have hurt the scoring used in those days.

As far as I know, the CYO was held a few days after the AL Nationals.  I don't think the corps went back home just to return two weeks later.

AL Nationals  8-27th

CYO Nationals  8-29th

VFW Nationals  8-24th in New Orleans  http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=scoreshow&showid=1967100

Edited by Ghost

The question refers to this statement in the DCI article:

The Boston Crusaders (6th, 92.962) capped off the best season in their 77-year history, improving upon last year's finish by six placements and nearly nine points.

It would be fine to use the word "best" as long as what they refer to really might be "best".  Maybe this was their best ever from some qualitative standpoint.  But this sentence says it was their best in the context of placement, score, and improvement of both placement and score, in their entire 77-year history.  How truthful is that?

Placement:  That is clearly false, as Boston placed 5th at DCI twice previously, not to mention a couple of instances pre-DCI where the corps was even more highly competitive (like 1967).

Score:  It may be true that Boston earned their highest score ever in 2017, but 92.962 is not it.  (They got a 93.4 in semifinals.)

Improving placement:  Crusaders jumped up 10 spots at DCI Championships from 1974 to 1975.  This year was a 6 spot climb.

Improving score:  The 8.162 improvement made from 2016 to 2017 is not their biggest gain, either.  From 1983 to 1984, their final-round championship scores (both taken from semifinals) showed a gain of 12.45 points.  They also netted a 10.75 gain in DCI prelim scores from 1973 to 1974.

The 2017 season for Boston Crusaders was undeniably wonderful.  But it takes a lot to be "best season in their 77-year history".  By the measures the article cites, the DCI article is no better than 25% accurate.