RIP CorpsReps (and introducing DCX)

2 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Definitely harder to find scores/placements from past seasons.

Design is still quite antiquated as well. Not sure what the point of this rebrand is...

I'm going to say four main reasons...

1. Responsive tech

2. Mobile friendly tech

3. Database driven tech

4. No antiquated flash tech

Edited by Liahona

It looks like they have things well in hand here...no longer a one man show...

DCX committee

Frank Dorritie is a performer, producer, arranger, educator and author. Nine of his recordings received Grammy nominations and two of these won Grammy Awards in Jazz and Latin categories. Frank instructed or arranged for the Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Bridgemen, Madison Scouts and the Garfield Cadets, as well as a host of marching bands, jazz bands and brass ensembles. He has worked as a performer, clinician and adjudicator. Professor Dorritie is the Chair of Recording Arts at Los Medanos College where he conducts and coordinates instructional programs in music business, audio production, studio techniques and commercial music.  He is an eight-time DCA Individual & Ensemble national champion and a member of the DCI Hall of Fame, World Drum Corps Hall of Fame and the Buglers Hall of Fame.

Bill Ives marched with the Archer Epler Musketeers Senior Corps of Upper Darby, PA since 1980. He started in the color guard - rifle/ flag 80/84 DCA competition. Bass Drum since 1985 as a parade corps. Over the years he met many Archie Alumni from the 30's to the 60's. His fascination with Archie history grew to the point that alumni would come to the post to be interviewed about years in the corps and share  memorabilia. Over the years every instructor, director, song and contest was recorded. Initially collection started with 8 uniforms and dozen scrapbooks. Over the last 27 years the collection had grown to (as of July 2017) 210 uniforms, 85 corps jackets, 800 records and a whole more. Current total is over 16,000 and growing. Preserving drum corps history is his passion.

Bob Jacobs is an avid collector of drum corps memorabilia with a particular interest in pins and buttons. His interest in preserving the history of the drum and bugle corps art form led to his engagement with the Drum Corps Collectors & Historical Society as a co-founder. Bob has served as the executive director of The Jersey Surf since the corps inception in 1990 and is the Senior Director of Marketing for Drum Corps International.

Gail Langan is a former IT Project Manager for IBM who managed their Olympic Games marketing website program, Gail's drum corps experience is both deep and diverse.  As a student of the legendary Joe Genero, she played lead soprano for 6 years in the N.D.-Ettes, during which time they won the US Open, the Greater New York Circuit, and the World Open (twice) All Girl titles. Later she served as assistant brass instructor. Gail performed on both soprano and mellophone with the popular Park City Pride Alumni Corps from 2004 through 2015, thereafter joining St. Rita’s Brassmen Alumni. She also appeared with the all-female “Touch of Brass” ensemble at DCA.  In addition, Gail has been a Drum Corps World staff photographer, a charter member of DCX, and a video producer responsible for dozens of projects for the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame, the Bugler's Hall of Fame, and the Drum Corps Stories series of interviews. Her photo editing work is included in the book "A Billion to One" recently published by the Museum of American Finance.

Chris Maher marched with the Horizons from Westchester NY in the early 70s. Chris is an accomplished marching arts photographer, previous drum corps parent, longtime volunteer and supporter of the drum corps activity, and the founder of the Corpsreps.com website. Along with help from his insurance software company Modotech, Chris built the DCX website. Outside the drum corps activity, Chris is an actuary, software developer and small business owner. 

Steve Vickers started in drum corps with the Jets in Hutchinson, KS, following seventh grade.  He was director of that group in 1966, then marched with the Sky Ryders from 1967 to 1970 when he aged out.  After graduating from the University of Kansas with a degree in journalism, he worked for an advertising agency, the Hutchinson Chamber of Commerce and Sears as advertising manager of the store.  In 1973 he was hired as editor of Drum Corps World, based in Denver, CO, and a year later he purchased the publication, making a full-time living between 1974 and 2002. The tabloid newspaper eventually turned into an on-line magazine in May 2011 and is currently his full-time "hobby."  He lives in Madison, WI, has served on the Madison Scouts Board for the past 31 years and is chairman of the corps' show in Whitewater, WI.  He self-published three books on the history of drum and bugle corps in 2002, 2003 and 2010 and two books for Drum Corps International in 2007 and 2010.  His outside interests include Broadway and movie musicals, the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright and travel.

DCX Support Staff

DCX is grateful to the volunteers who keep the information on DCX up to date. 

Ron Allard marched with the Utica Executives Senior Corps, the Utica Royaleers Junior Corps and St. Joseph's of Batavia. Prior to his retirement he had several careers including as a Computer Operator for Met Life, a Project Manager for a Las Vegas gaming company and as a Field Service Technician for a Business Equipment company based in Alabama. He currently resides in South Florida.

Jim Burnell got hooked on drum corps for life when his band director at Fairmont Senior High School in Fairmont WV showed him a hi-cam video of the 1984 Garfield Cadets. At West Virginia University, Jim marched for the WVU Marching Band for five years before moving to the Washington, DC area, where he currently resides. Since college, Jim has marched with DC's Different Drummers, Baltimore's Marching Ravens, and the Yankee Rebels, the Reading Buccaneers, the Syracuse Brigadiers, and Frontier drum and bugle corps before "retiring" in 2008. He remains an avid fan and hasn't missed a DCA championship since 2001 or DCI since 2011. In the real world, Jim is software developer with a focus on database development, and has been helping maintain the CorpsReps score database since 2014.

Chris Green marched with Carolina Crown in the early 90s. Since then he has gone on to be a founder, designer, instructor and Corps Director for several DCI , DCA , and SoundSport organizations across the country.  Chris is a former High School Band Director who now resides in Saint Petersburg, FL where he represents Fruhauf Uniforms, Director’s Assistant and MarchingUSA.

Dan Unger marched with the Connecticut Hurricanes in 2015 and 2016. Playing in all of his middle and high school music ensembles, Dan has always had a large passion for music. In addition to high school, Dan has also played with the Quinnipiac University Chamber Orchestra and Pep Band. Dan is a very avid fan of all drum corps, going to shows since 2014 and enjoyed every performance he has seen. Dan is very excited to work on the DCX website, as he has a great passion for the history of Drum corps. He hopes to become a music composer for television shows. 

Others involved in on-going discussions

DCX would like to recognize the following individuals for their interest and support of the DCX project over the years. 

• Dan Acheson
  • Tom Blair
  • Dave Borck
  • Jim Claytor
  • Rick Connor
  • Blake Crenshaw
  • Ron Da Silva
  • Dennis DeLucia
  • George Fennell
  • Scott Gordon
  • Larry Hershman
  • John Keays
  • Ken Mason
  • Mario Navetta
  • Jodeen Popp
  • Steve Rondinaro
  • Dave Scott
  • Brian Tolzmann
  • Bob Zinko
  • Like 1

this is only scratching the surface of what it can be. and will be. it just takes time as many involved have real jobs too

I love it so far! The only complaint I have is that you can't really "right-click/open in new tab" any of the scores links. They just go to about:blank tabs. 

On 8/16/2017 at 5:58 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

Two decades after the website's founding, it would appear that corpsreps.com will be no more. Here is the official statement from founder Chris Maher, which you may have seen if you came to the website earlier today:

http://www.corpsreps.com/

In place of CorpsReps, Maher (with the assistance of those credited in his statement) has officially begun Drum Corps Xperience (DCX), a virtual museum dedicated to preserving corps history with regards to programs, photos and scores, dating all the way back to the 1930s in certain cases. I hope you all enjoy the website; it will obviously take some adjusting to get used to, but I knew that CorpsReps was in need of a visual update since I started looking there.

http://www.dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm

Glad to see the project will continue under the new DCX site. Congrats to Chris and all others involved. Corpsreps.com was one of the best sites and one that I visited quite often. It's good to know that such an effort is taking place to continue to preserve drum corps' past. 

I corresponded with Chris last week, and they're also working over the next few months to add a lot of new photos sent to them from vets.

On 8/16/2017 at 2:58 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

Two decades after the website's founding, it would appear that corpsreps.com will be no more. Here is the official statement from founder Chris Maher, which you may have seen if you came to the website earlier today:

http://www.corpsreps.com/

In place of CorpsReps, Maher (with the assistance of those credited in his statement) has officially begun Drum Corps Xperience (DCX), a virtual museum dedicated to preserving corps history with regards to programs, photos and scores, dating all the way back to the 1930s in certain cases. I hope you all enjoy the website; it will obviously take some adjusting to get used to, but I knew that CorpsReps was in need of a visual update since I started looking there.

http://www.dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm

I noticed the change when I went to look up some 'who played what & when' information a few days ago.  I thought I was the last to know.  Thanks for posting!