3 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

Loved Finleyville always a great show from them .

Went bankrupt trying to get back in finals. Spending money that wasn't there. The trouble I had dealing with the local music shops because corps before me still owed them money.They killed it themselves by merging the Senoir corps out of existance, for that one great chance to be relevent again. Finleyville had such poor relations with band directors in the area. Some even marched corps like the Rockets, but had horrible issues with the kids egos. Allowing the better kids from other corps to join, killed off the smaller corps. 

Edited by jeff danchik

Well, we go from LI to Pittsburgh. :whistle:

Jeff, a lot of what you said puts more pieces together from information I got from an interview with a long time and knowledgeable friend out that way for a college paper.

What I know:

Late 60's, roughly- The Drum Major of the Rockets and the Color Guard Captain (at one time the CG Captain had also been a DM) did something a bit different. The Drum major got his Mus.Ed. Degree and with the Color Guard person took what he knew, applied it to the HS setting, and took Norwin HS to the top. The Color Guard person was also involved with the Royal Crusaders (aka Finleyville for those who are confused).

I find it interesting that there was a friction with kids with  Royal Crusaders and certain band directors, but in some ways, I'm not too surprised. Why? Read below. The skinny, Ego, Jealousy.

I'm also not surprised about the issues with egos. Observation of many of the personalities out there has led me to apply the old adage that a lot of them would rather choke on their own ambitions than dislodge the crumb in their throat because they're too proud and their egos are too big.

I'm happy that Mon Valley's doing something. It's better do do something grassroots where one is successful rather then overreach and fail miserably. As for SCDA... if they had some internet presence, some of the events I think are close enough they would tempt me, but they're running under the radar like a B-2 in today's environment and they appear to me to be also a bit taciturn rather than trying to actively promote their end of things in a positive way.

7 hours ago, BigW said:

Well, we go from LI to Pittsburgh. :whistle:

Jeff, a lot of what you said puts more pieces together from information I got from an interview with a long time and knowledgeable friend out that way for a college paper.

What I know:

Late 60's, roughly- The Drum Major of the Rockets and the Color Guard Captain (at one time the CG Captain had also been a DM) did something a bit different. The Drum major got his Mus.Ed. Degree and with the Color Guard person took what he knew, applied it to the HS setting, and took Norwin HS to the top. The Color Guard person was also involved with the Royal Crusaders (aka Finleyville for those who are confused).

I find it interesting that there was a friction with kids with  Royal Crusaders and certain band directors, but in some ways, I'm not too surprised. Why? Read below. The skinny, Ego, Jealousy.

I'm also not surprised about the issues with egos. Observation of many of the personalities out there has led me to apply the old adage that a lot of them would rather choke on their own ambitions than dislodge the crumb in their throat because they're too proud and their egos are too big.

I'm happy that Mon Valley's doing something. It's better do do something grassroots where one is successful rather then overreach and fail miserably. As for SCDA... if they had some internet presence, some of the events I think are close enough they would tempt me, but they're running under the radar like a B-2 in today's environment and they appear to me to be also a bit taciturn rather than trying to actively promote their end of things in a positive way.

The drum major was actually a Finleyville drum major. Best thing he did was bring alot of Finleyville staff onboard. He was LJ Hancock and Kathy Rosa the guard person. Also ad former Rockets DM Ed Cagney to the staff. My city school band actually tied them in 2 captions one night and they almost blew a gasket.  I had a staff of all Finleyville age outs.Last show in the books, recruiting starts in 2 weeks.

• Like 1