Marching Roundtable 638: “Stop Seeing This As A Bugle Activity”

Personally, I really like most of the things incorporated in modern day "drum corps."  I enjoy the theatrics and the color guards more than ever.  However, I believe the music should be live and am not much on the electronics adding to it.  It can be great when they work but if they don't, then it pretty much sucks. Having some electronics added to enhance certain parts of the show can even be good but relying so heavily on those enhancements really takes away from the pure sound that I want to hear from the brass and percussion.  I am also not a big fan of voice whether spoken or sung.  Let the brass "sing" those parts.  One of my favorite parts of most corps shows is the ballad.  Man, I love hearing the brass "choir" sing those beautiful and haunting melodies.  I wish to hear more of those things.

2 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I can't stand this podcast.

This thread is not my favorite either.  Not a fan of BITD wishful thinking which will make not one iota of difference. 

• Like 4

Oh yeah, I would like to see more marching of drill.  That's what got me hooked on drum corps originally.

• Like 2

I actually wasted time listening to some of this podcasted propaganda.  Unbelievable that they are STILL making excuses for the failures of electronics with the phrase "learning curve".  Electronics have been used in marching band for 40 years.  How long will it take to learn?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BRASSO said:

The irony here is that " most people I know have increasingly NOT been seeing DCI as a " bugle activity" anymore. Otherwise, these people in this roundtable audio must not have payed sufficient attention to DCI Finals and saw a Corps with a wretched and completely botched and mangled non Brass/ Percussion musical solos medal. DCI has increasingly become far less of a " Bugle activity " and far more of a" Guard/ Visual activity". In recent years. DCI has not had a " Bugle " in the activity in decades. So this criticism headline is dated, archaic, and not part of the current situation in DCI much at all. I feel bad that these people can so misread what is out and about now in terms of discussions that are current/ relevant to most fans of the activity. Its the emergence of the Guard/ Visual and the subsequent diminuation of the REAL brass and REAL percussion ( coupled with faux sounds created by the electronic manipulations) that is of most current and topical issues of the day. Most  DCP'ers and the many fans away from here that I personally know have long ago stopped  viewing DCI " as a Bugle activity ". Heck, look at the scores. Even the DCI Judging community has long since moved away from this being a  Brass ( " Bugle ) activity.. Most people that have a pulse and that have been following DCI know that DCI has diminished the Drums and the" Bugles "( and elevated the Guard/ Visuals ). Heck, some of the early season  DCI shows no longer have Brass judges and/ or Percussion judges any longer. That says it all right there.  So what are these Masters of the Obvious in this audio attempting to tell us as a " new " insight that most everybody I know doesn't already know, and have known now for a decade or longer ?

So how do you really feel?

12 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Resistance is futile.  As I enter my 50th year in the activity, my motto is "just roll with it". 

You yong know nothing whippersnapper 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Still has two words in it that are bald face lies.

Three, if Les Stentors folds.

It's still drum corps and it's international as last I checked the U.K. Wasn't America 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Still has two words in it that are bald face lies.

Three, if Les Stentors folds.

So rename the NBA because there's a team in Toronto?

Rename the World Series because the two participating teams are from the US?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

This thread is not my favorite either.  Not a fan of BITD wishful thinking which will make not one iota of difference. 

It already has begun to make a difference.  We're talking about it, despite your best efforts to prevent that.