Marching Roundtable 638: “Stop Seeing This As A Bugle Activity”

30 minutes ago, MikeN said:

There's still a band down here that uses "outdoor performance ensemble."  :blink:

Mike

Even though the national championship for such ensembles in indoors.

(That's Tarpon Springs, right?)

On 8/21/2017 at 10:37 AM, CrownBariDad said:

How so?  Think DCI is going to do anything?

And what did I do to prevent anything?  Get a grip!

What do you expect from someone who, a couple of pages ago, referred to today's DCI as "summer marching band for rich kids"? Hostile and rude.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, insideout said:

What do you expect from someone who, a couple of pages ago, referred to today's DCI as "summer marching band for rich kids"? Hostile and rude.

Yep!

5 hours ago, insideout said:

While it could've been said more tactfully, the poster is not wrong. Gone are the days when just about anyone could join a corps and march for the summer. The economic and cultural landscape has changed. The cost of touring has become more expensive 

with how hyper-competitive school admissions and job markets are becoming, and with how expensive an education is becoming, being able to take a whole summer off to march drum corps is the true sign of someone who is privileged or very resourceful. There are people who march through scholarships for online fundraisers, but the actual demographics of marchers today is very different from the 70-90s. 

While a bit simplified, "summer marching band for rich kids" isn't all that far off 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

While it could've been said more tactfully, the poster is not wrong. Gone are the days when just about anyone could join a corps and march for the summer. The economic and cultural landscape has changed. The cost of touring has become more expensive 

with how hyper-competitive school admissions and job markets are becoming, and with how expensive an education is becoming, being able to take a whole summer off to march drum corps is the true sign of someone who is privileged or very resourceful. There are people who march through scholarships for online fundraisers, but the actual demographics of marchers today is very different from the 70-90s. 

While a bit simplified, "summer marching band for rich kids" isn't all that far off 

We are not rich. I am a single parent. Had it not been for my father's generous support, this would not have been possible. Is it costly? Absolutely. But it is well worth it. 

8 minutes ago, insideout said:

We are not rich. I am a single parent. Had it not been for my father's generous support, this would not have been possible. Is it costly? Absolutely. But it is well worth it. 

I did say there were exceptions. There always are

On 8/23/2017 at 2:48 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Even though the national championship for such ensembles in indoors.

(That's Tarpon Springs, right?)

He's from Texas so probably James Bowie.  JBOPE

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

It is true that the demo has changed dramatically, but the notion that it's for "rich kids" is misguided.  Compared to so many other summer music endeavors - or a formal music education, for that matter - drum corps is the bargain of a lifetime.

Now, you may feel that, if there's even one who can't afford it, the activity is for "rich kids" and you wouldn't be the first to claim so.

But, I can tell you first hand that I sponsor at least two MM's in WC corps each year who's performance level earned them a spot even though it was not affordable.

I'm not suggesting that your comments are biased, but you're kinda leaning that direction by focusing on money instead of experience.  BITD, it was comparatively cheap but the experience was similarly bad for almost everyone.  Drum corps used to run on charity - today they run on tour fees and external sources of corporate support.  The experience has gotten much better for those who can afford it.  Not everyone can afford it.

Not everyone can afford everything - it doesn't mean that drum corps is for "rich kids".

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, garfield said:

Not everyone can afford everything - it doesn't mean that drum corps is for "rich kids".

I feel like you are trying to present a nuanced stance here, and I appreciate that, but it's coming off as a bit contradictory. 

Yes, not everyone can afford everything. But by that definition, there is a "rich" and "poor." And yes, I understand that those are relative terms as you hinted at. 

For the experience, sure you could say drum corps is "cheap." But the baseline, physical price, for the majority of the country, is not. Especially if you account for the college students who are already in college debt (that's only getting worse and worse!) and are not getting financial support from parents.