Which Corps will be the recipient of the Ott ?

56 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Whomever manages to cover up the most deficiencies and issues with synthesizers, samples, and singing will take the Ott.

I encourage everyone to watch gopro headcams on YouTube to hear what these hornlines actually sound like.  Don't listen so much to the ones upon which the cameras are mounted, but rather those around them.  If the power went out during a performance, most of these corps would be severely crippled.

Do you think corps of yesteryears were better players?

23 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Hey buddy, do you hear any Synth in this judging tape while the judge is in front of the brass (or really anywhere on the field)? If you do, I'd maybe get your ears checked

Yeah the synth sounds great.  The brass sounds even better.  Good stuff.

1:38 Hehe, way to uncover that mid-voice as well through dynamic balance, good for you.
2:05 Cool [...] Great clarity with the trumpets.  Thank you.
6:18 Don't know how you do it. It just really truly dovetails, tremendously difficult, understandable. But some truly truly truly some spectacular training to accomplish this.

Synth... queue brass:

11:30 What a.. What a cool thing huh? Yep.  Beautiful. Hah.  Beautiful!

• Like 1

Since we are talking about the Ott...

Assuming that you love both corps equally and are either a past or present brass player of any corps.  Which would be more important to you as a brass player?  Winning a championship with the Blue Devils or winning the Ott with Carolina Crown?

For myself personally as a brass player...winning the Ott would be a greater achievement...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Liahona said:

For myself personally as a brass player...winning the Ott would be a greater achievement...

Good on you.  Agreed.  A colleague aged himself out after we won a certain award.  Lost championships, but we won the caption award.

His career is flourishing.

Edited by DeusExGreenMachina
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Assuming that you love both corps equally and are either a past or present brass player of any corps.  Which would be more important to you as a brass player?  Winning a championship with the Blue Devils or winning the Ott with Carolina Crown?

I'm going to spin it to the Sanford since I'm a percussionist...I would want the championship over the Sanford. I see it as more of would I want to be part of a championship corps or a championship line? Of course winning both is the goal!

41 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Hey buddy, do you hear any Synth in this judging tape while the judge is in front of the brass (or really anywhere on the field)? If you do, I'd maybe get your ears checked

Didn't that show get the ball rolling ? BlueCoats had a heck of a performance that night, knocking the Cadets out of silver. I felt their content kept increasing at a faster rate than the Cadets those last 9 or 10 days. Thanks for sharing, I love listening to the judging tapes.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, onionhead said:

Do you think corps of yesteryears were better players?

In a lot of cases, yes.  They were required to be.  They didn't have the luxury of electronics to cover up their issues.  They also didn't have the luxury of personal tuners clamped on their bells during rehearsals or a staff of 30 brass techs (something I touched on in one of the threads the trolls whinelocked).  They also didn't spend 75% of the shows NOT playing, like hornlines do today.

I'm not saying they were any more talented than youth today, nor am I saying they worked any harder.  But unlike today, hornlines of yesteryear were there to play their horns and march, not to roll around with their horns on the ground like 4 year-olds pretending to be insects, sashaying from one form to the next and occasionally playing when the guard instructors finally say it's ok to do so.  

What I'm saying is that a lot of the talent on the field today is being utterly wasted on extraneous BS that has absolutely nothing to do with drum corps, and that we never even get to see or hear the majority of the talent required to win a spot on those hornlines.

Edited by Bobby L. Collins
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

In a lot of cases, yes.  They were required to be.  They didn't have the luxury of electronics to cover up their issues.  They also didn't have the luxury of personal tuners clamped on their bells during rehearsals or a staff of 30 brass techs (something I touched on in one of the threads the trolls whinelocked).  They also didn't spend 75% of the shows NOT playing, like hornlines do today.

I'm not saying they were any more talented than youth today, nor am I saying they worked any harder.  But unlike today, hornlines of yesteryear were there to play their horns and march, not to roll around with their horns on the ground like 4 year-olds pretending to be insects, sashaying from one form to the next and occasionally playing when the guard instructors finally say it's ok to do so.  

What I'm saying is that a lot of the talent on the field today is being utterly wasted on extraneous BS that has absolutely nothing to do with drum corps, and that we never even get to see or hear the majority of the talent required to win a spot on the hornlines.

That's good stuff

18 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Within the last few seasons I posted on DCP the same question about a ring or a Sanford.

Overwhelmingly the drummers chose the Sanford.

I just wonder if the enlarged corps at 150 have segmented the corps into sections so much that mms no longer feel the same affinity to a corps' ensemble effort as when corps were smaller and all mms knew each other's names and friendships. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

I can tell you that my BD brass member wanted 18 a **** of a lot more than the Ott - though winning ring is not the reason he wanted to march there, just a bonus.

• Like 1