Which Corps will be the recipient of the Ott ?

37 minutes ago, desertrat68 said:

I can tell you that my BD brass member wanted 18 a **** of a lot more than the Ott - though winning ring is not the reason he wanted to march there, just a bonus.

I think it really depends on corps culture. 

With the way Crown Brass gets advertised sometimes, they almost feel like a separate entity from the actual corps. 

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

Since we are talking about the Ott...

Assuming that you love both corps equally and are either a past or present brass player of any corps.  Which would be more important to you as a brass player?  Winning a championship with the Blue Devils or winning the Ott with Carolina Crown?

For myself personally as a brass player...winning the Ott would be a greater achievement...

You also have to keep in mind a lot of these members are trying to get degrees in music and hope to be band directors/music teachers. If that was the case as a marcher I feel I could learn a lot from Crowns Brass staff since they continuously do so well. Same could be said for SCVs percussion or BDs colorguard.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

You also have to keep in mind a lot of these members are trying to get degrees in music and hope to be band directors/music teachers. If that was the case as a marcher I feel I could learn a lot from Crowns Brass staff since they continuously do so well. Same could be said for SCVs percussion or BDs colorguard.

Actually, my future music teacher went to BD for the brass AND the visual; how they develop the drill (they do it differently than the other corps), how they teach movement, how they use their brass manual to fix just about any issue that comes up in an ensemble (something he's already used to great advantage in his high school teaching gigs), how they just do everything well. He's learned a ton from each of the three corps he's marched with, not just BD, and he's developed a killer resume that's already opened some pretty amazing doors. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, desertrat68 said:

Actually, my future music teacher went to BD for the brass AND the visual; how they develop the drill (they do it differently than the other corps), how they teach movement, how they use their brass manual to fix just about any issue that comes up in an ensemble (something he's already used to great advantage in his high school teaching gigs), how they just do everything well. He's learned a ton from each of the three corps he's marched with, not just BD, and he's developed a killer resume that's already opened some pretty amazing doors. 

Of course. Drum corps experience in general is great for music education.

• Like 2

On August 18, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

The Cavaliers

Sorry, Boss. I appreciate your loyalty and all, but did you hear them this summer. I mean really hear them. Lots of rows to hoe to get that field producing an Ott. 

Edited by westcoastblue

1 hour ago, Brass Lover said:

Of course. Drum corps experience in general is great for music education.

That used to be true.  It's not so true anymore though.

Certainly great for dance education.  Music, not so much.

7 hours ago, Liahona said:

Since we are talking about the Ott...

Assuming that you love both corps equally and are either a past or present brass player of any corps.  Which would be more important to you as a brass player?  Winning a championship with the Blue Devils or winning the Ott with Carolina Crown?

For myself personally as a brass player...winning the Ott would be a greater achievement...

Good question for sure.  Those caption awards are important. Look at what they mean to guard members and percussionists. It's a big deal.

Not everyone can march in a corps that will win the DCI Championship. So many things have to go right. Show design, a staff that works really well together, members that communicate and function well together, money to compete at that level, and even a bit of luck (all the design elements just clicking, the judges liking it, and not having to make too many changes over the summer). 

If I was with a group like Bluecoats, Carolina or another corps, and if that was my corps for 3 to 5 years and I had no plans to leave, then winning the Ott would be BIG.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

That used to be true.  It's not so true anymore though.

Certainly great for dance education.  Music, not so much.

If the music us so easy, then why don't you learn a book and post a video of you playing it here for all of us to see and hear

• Like 2