Experience for Auditions?

I would like to march in a corp in the future, but am far from being corp quality. I want to go out for auditions this year anyways to get experience on how the process works and what I should work on (I play trumpet), but the only corp remotely close to me is the Bluecoats (yikes). I don't want to go in there looking like a fool and them to think that I am wasting their time. Is it normal for people to audition without a good amount of experience? I have only been playing trumpet for three months and just sound like your average high school player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anna said:

I would like to march in a corp in the future, but am far from being corp quality. I want to go out for auditions this year anyways to get experience on how the process works and what I should work on (I play trumpet), but the only corp remotely close to me is the Bluecoats (yikes). I don't want to go in there looking like a fool and them to think that I am wasting their time. Is it normal for people to audition without a good amount of experience? I have only been playing trumpet for three months and just sound like your average high school player.

Just 3 months and sound like average HS player on trumpet...that's amazing! Took me a few years!

Follow your dreams!

• Like 1

This is an annual topic,so someone might list the link for last years discussion.  Check out the OC corps audition that's close to you and go for it!  A year or two with both a HS band and OC corps will be a great training program for you.

3 hours ago, Anna said:

How old are you Anna?  Three months is a relatively short time but, if you have several years before you age out, there is time to make your dreams a reality.  Bluecoats may not be within your grasp right now, but the audition process could help you identify what your weaknesses are and help you focus your efforts to reach your goals more quickly.

Edited by DTrooper77

1 minute ago, DTrooper77 said:

How old are you Anna?  Three months is a relatively short time but, if you have several years before you age out, there is time to make our dreams a reality.  Bluecoats may not be within your grasp right now, but the audition process could help you identify what your weaknesses are and help you focus your efforts to reach your goals more quickly.

They are definitely out of my range at the moment, but they are the only corp that is close enough to me that I could get my parents to agree to let me go to the auditions. Right now I am a junior in high school. Before I switched to trumpet I had been playing clarinet for 6 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anna said:

They are definitely out of my range at the moment, but they are the only corp that is close enough to me that I could get my parents to agree to let me go to the auditions. Right now I am a junior in high school. Before I switched to trumpet I had been playing clarinet for 6 years.

Have you thought about DCA Cors in your area? Don't know exactly where you are, but Ohio also has Cincinnati Tradition and the Erie Thunderbirds (PA) is not too far from Canton. Great places to build your chops!

2 minutes ago, ajlemm said:

Have you thought about DCA Cors in your area? Don't know exactly where you are, but Ohio also has Cincinnati Tradition and the Erie Thunderbirds (PA) is not too far from Canton. Great places to build your chops!

I was considering the Thunderbirds, haven't done much research on them yet. Even though Cincinnati Tradition is relatively close, they are around 4 hours away from where I live, my parents would definitely not want to drive that far for an audition.

Just now, Anna said:

I was considering the Thunderbirds, haven't done much research on them yet. Even though Cincinnati Tradition is relatively close, they are around 4 hours away from where I live, my parents would definitely not want to drive that far for an audition.

It's all about experience and confidence, wherever you can get it! 

• Thanks 1

I'm going to assume Legends is too far for you as well. Take a look at some WGI winds groups as well. I know Rhythm X has a great program but I have no idea what they do for auditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Anna said:

OK. If you have marching experience that is a definite plus.  I can't speak to the transition from woodwind to brass, but it really comes down to how much time and effort you are willing to invest in getting your brass chops up to par.  4 years of marching band experience was enough to get me into a world class corps as far as marching goes, 6 years of musical background is quite extensive at your age and  is also a major plus. You already understand ensemble requirements and how to read music etc....  

As someone else suggested, Open class might be a good starting point.  It will get you needed experience and help you develop the stamina that is needed during the drum corps season as well as help you gauge how much progress you need to make. 

I marched a 20th place corps and a top 3 corps, and I can tell you that aside from the talent and experience level, both took the same level of commitment, desire, and effort.  They also were equally as beneficial to me personally in shaping me for future success (which I believe is the most valuable commodity that drum corps offers to most participants.)

Just get into the activity.  Once you do, you can determine what your ultimate goals are.  You may decide to try to move up to a finalist level corps or may find everything you are looking for where you started.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1