Experience for Auditions?

3 hours ago, Anna said:

I would like to march in a corp in the future, but am far from being corp quality. I want to go out for auditions this year anyways to get experience on how the process works and what I should work on (I play trumpet), but the only corp remotely close to me is the Bluecoats (yikes). I don't want to go in there looking like a fool and them to think that I am wasting their time. Is it normal for people to audition without a good amount of experience? I have only been playing trumpet for three months and just sound like your average high school player.

Anna, It's great that you are interested in marching drum corps.  I assume you do participate in your school marching and concert programs.  I would urge you to try to get private lessons for your junior and senior years.  I would also recommend that you consider attending the Blue Way Experience camp that the Bluecoats hold each June.  It is a two day event that allows you to experience working with some of the Bluecoats instructors and, part of the time, get to play along with members of the corps.  The 2018 Blue Way would be at the end of your junior year and would give you a great idea of what you might need to work on your senior year. 

I would also urge you to attend an audition camp this winter.  There is MUCH more to these camps than just the audition.  You would have a weekend to be taught by some great instructors, be with other like minded young people, and get to see first hand what it takes.  The Ohio audition camp will be November 24-26.  (additional info on web site)

Obviously making the Bluecoats is not easy, but what a wonderful goal to have.  You do have something in common with EVERY member of the Bluecoats, and with every member of a DCI drum corps for that matter, and that is at one time they all started their drum corps adventure with a DREAM and a GOAL.

Good luck to you and go for it! 

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Anna said:

I would like to march in a corp in the future, but am far from being corp quality. I want to go out for auditions this year anyways to get experience on how the process works and what I should work on (I play trumpet), but the only corp remotely close to me is the Bluecoats (yikes). I don't want to go in there looking like a fool and them to think that I am wasting their time. Is it normal for people to audition without a good amount of experience? I have only been playing trumpet for three months and just sound like your average high school player.

Anna, some may not agree with me but if the money is available to audition for the bluecoats then absolutely do it. My son tried last year and the experience and feed back from everyone at the audition camp was unbelievable. After you audition they will either offer you a contract give you a call back or explain that your not quite ready and then they will tell you exactly what you need to work on for future auditions. The staff as well as the other people trying out are phenomenal and extremely encouraging I also agree with the blue way camp in June if you not on a corp for the summer. Good luck and confidence is key they will understand nervousness the more you relax the better the experience will be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Anna said:

I realize PA might be too far but FYI Cadets have announced a set of experience camps in November designed just for high school kids wanting to get a taste of drum corps. Look at the yea.org website for more information 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go to the Bluecoats audition. Practice hard from now until then and see how you do.

There will be people from all skill levels there. Nobody's gonna look down on you if you're not as good as them. If anything, that's what everyone at auditions is hoping to see: people not as good as them. Heh.

You never know until you try. You can plan on marching with an open class corps or a lower tier world class, but still go to the Bluecoats audition. You'll be that much more confident next year having experienced it.

• Thanks 1