Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

4 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

You didn't read the thread, did you?  .

Don't be snarky.. that won't work for you well here. You'll get frustrated, leave in a huff and wonder why its OTHERS that forced you to leave. I was not snarky with you. Do you want to start again ?... or do you want to have me reply in like kind measure with you?  Your call. I can respond, with either, really.

Edited by BRASSO

Boy, can this be brought back up again decade after decade?

This was an issue when I first got into the activity in the 70's. Saw it in covering corps when I was a writer for Drum Corps World. Bias was totally left out of your thesis and that will come with both old and new judges and not change a thing and never will. There are judges judging shows today in corps and bands that when you see them they do have a reputation. One of if they will give you solid comments and ones that are in for ego and status too.

Someone will always be biased. Change all you want and this year, from the moment Devils finished in Stanford I knew they would win having seen Crown and Blue Coats. The design, music and execution was already in position. It  was just a wonderful classic show. As I have gotten older, I have learned to not be biased myself against corps but be thankful for a well executed, designed, taught and thought out show that connects. But there are some of you reading this that think Vanguard should have won. Well, I love SCV more than Devils, but I could never explain all that I have take in almost 40 years of watching shows, but Devils to me was just one better. 11. and I love this activity and all that make it happen and I miss dearly many corps that are not around today that brought me moments of great joy of this activity and never had a chance to win and please Cavaliers you have to do Santa Elsmerada from 79 and 80 again in the 70th show. Got to. It impacted so many people then and high school bands/guardwork for decades....two cents worth

Edited by TripleForteGuy
spelling
  • Thanks 2

Just now, BRASSO said:

Don't be snarky.. that won't work for you well here. You'll get frustrated, leave in a huff and wonder why its OTHERS that forced you to leave. I was not snarky with you.

Interesting.  

When one puts forth an argument, it is defended.

Seems that you're upset about something.  Like I said, I didn't mean to offend, so let's discuss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Interesting.  

When one puts forth an argument, it is defended.

Seems that you're upset about something.  Like I said, I didn't mean to offend, so let's discuss.

Yes, if I replied to your comments... " you didn't read what I said "... ( but you did read it ), I'm pretty sure you'd consider that a snarky reply too. but who knows, so lets discuss in a more civil manner, shall we ?

2 minutes ago, TripleForteGuy said:

There are judges judging shows today in corps and bands that when you see them they do have a reputation. One of if they will give you solid comments and ones that are in for ego and status too.

Someone will always be biased.

I love this activity and all that make it happen and I miss dearly many corps that are not around today that brought me moments of great joy of this activity

I can't speak for bias.  We're trained to judge the sheets.

Hence why you should trial judge.  You have the experience on the outside.  Get involved if you can.

Otherwise, it's just "conspiracy" bull*@&@

Just now, BRASSO said:

Yes, if I replied to your comments... " you didn't read what I said "... ( but you did read it ), I'm pretty sure you'd consider that a snarky reply too. but who knows, so lets discuss in a more civil manner, shall we ?

Okay.  Anyone at any time has any right to be "snarky" as they please.  Please allow me that right.

You proved my point that you did NOT in fact read my comments because I consistently refused to provide names to @Stu

The issue you seem to have with me is that I think many judges should retire.  That's only part of my original post.  You now know that I believe that people should start trial judging.  

So what do you wish to discuss?

The thread title here is " Enough judging conspiracies " here on DCP.  Sorry, but I don't even find the thread title fundamentally accurate. I have not witnessed much " conspiracy " comments here regarding DCI judging. We will find on occasion that people will be confused with the judging, or think a judge might be biased toward their Corps, or  similar. But the word " conspiracy " denotes some sort of an organized effort among segments of the DCI judging community of some malevolent intent. Thats what all " conspiracies " allege. That somehow there was an intentional group effort to deceive. But where are these alleged DCI judging " conspiracies " comments found here on DCP. ?  If they are here I missed them, or they were so inconsequental in number, that nobody thought before to start a new thread needing to debunk a DCI "judge conspiracy ", that frankly I do not see in DCI, nor as much of a issue here on DCP at all of late. Could DCI utilize new judges ? Sure. Are they incorporating them into the shows, by addressing this ? Sure. Is there a DCI judging " conspiracy " afloat as the title wants to debunk ? Not that I can tell. I don't see any organized effort on the part of the DCI judging community to engage in  intentional conspiracies at all. I suspect the overwhelming majority here on DCP don't see any '" conspiracies " in the DCI Judging ranks that somehow require a debunking either. I think the  OP's comment could simply have been.. " DCI could use some more new judges. I see they are doing so, but I hope that effort accelerates. I hope maybe others here might consider becoming a Judge ". Otherwise, maybe In retrospect I did read too much of his commentary here above ( or not enough of it as the case may be ).

Edited by BRASSO

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

But the word " conspiracy " denotes some sort of an organized effort among segments of the DCI judging community of some malevolent intent. Thats what all " conspiracies " allege.

Yep. My original post didn't mean any organization specifically, but all of the marching arts activities.

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

But where are these alleged DCI judging " conspiracies " comments found here on DCP. If they are here I missed them,

There are plenty of said comments and allegations.  This happens on the forums, on social media, and in real life.  My goal is to help dispel or mitigate confusion and encourage folks who are fans of the pageantry activities to get more involved with the judging community if they aren't already.

It gets stressful during championship season, people freak out, and fingers are pointed at us for all sorts of reasons.  People take it personally and I've received threats at times.  We just want the activity to flourish.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Okay.  Anyone at any time has any right to be "snarky" as they please.  Please allow me that right.

You do have that right. Others also have the right here to reply at anytime with a like kind snarkiness back at ya, should you decide to initiate the snarkiness. I think you'd agree with this too, I would imagine.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BRASSO said:

You do have that right. Others also have the right here to reply at anytime with a like kind snarkiness back at ya, should you decide to initiate the snarkiness. I think you'd agree with this too, I would imagine.

Agreed.