Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

30 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Yep. My original post didn't mean any organization specifically, but all of the marching arts activities.

There are plenty of said comments and allegations.  This happens on the forums, on social media,  .

Not on DCP though. I havn't witnessed any commentary here on DCP of late ( last couple of years ) that there is any sort of organized DCI Conspiracy among the DCI Judging community. If you have seen this as an issue on other  " forums",.. other " social media " have you posted this in depth commentary of yours on THOSE forums?.... where this DCI Conspiracy within the DCI judging ranks is said on there, that is alleged to exist ? The reason I reply this way, is that sometimes DCP here gets a bad and unfair rep out and about. And if some infrequest visitor to DCP was to read your title here .. "ENOUGH ( with the )  DCI JUDGING CONPIRACIES ", they would naturally conclude that here on DCP there are a lot of posters  and commentary here that we are discussing/ complaining about DCI's judges being involved in intentional malevolent attempts  to deceive fans/ Corps with their scores/ placements. However, this has NOT been much of an issue here on DCP at all.. not this year, not in recent years. Its true that DCP does sometimes get a bad rep. Sometimes that rep is undeserved. Your tirle of your new thread here creates a false narrative, and one that frankly has not been much of an issue  (  alleged" DCI Judging conspiracies" ) on DCP at all. DCP and our regular posters here can NOT be held responsible for what is posted on OTHER sites, where all manner of ridiculous " conspiracies " tend to be posted re. DCI/ DCI Judging and the like.

Edited by BRASSO

3 hours ago, ContraFart said:

But since I am the biggest DMB fan in the world, I am always going to value what they do more than Chicago Symphony and Harry Connick Jr. See the problem there?

As a ‘fan’, there is no problem if you love the sounds from DMB over the others.  But if you cannot sit aside that bias as much as humanly possible, and you ‘judge’, that is a huge problem.   For example: I personally love in order: Jazz, Fusion, Funk, Progressive Rock, and place Opera way down there on the list just above Country Music.  But allow me to become familiar with the adjudicating criteria, and I can place my love-list aside as much as humanly possible; whereby I can fairly evaluate if this Opera performing Stockhausen’s Licht Cycle is doing better at Opera than that Jazz Band is performing Ellington’s A-Train in the realm of Jazz.  And subsequently I would then have no problem at all in scoring and ranking the Opera performance ahead of the Jazz Band performance even though I love Ellington’s music way, way, way, way more than Stockhausen’s.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Yep. My original post didn't mean any organization specifically, but all of the marching arts activities.

There are plenty of said comments and allegations.  This happens on the forums, on social media, and in real life.

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Not on DCP though. I havn't witnessed any commentary here on DCP of late ( last couple of years ) that there is any sort of organized DCI Conspiracy among the DCI Judging community. If you have seen this as an issue on other  " forums",.. other " social media " have you posted this in depth commentary of yours on THOSE forums?.... where this DCI Conspiracy within the DCI judging ranks is said on there, that is alleged to exist ? The reason I reply this way, is that sometimes DCP here gets a bad and unfair rep out and about. And if some infrequest visitor to DCP was to read your title here .. "ENOUGH ( with the )  DCI JUDGING CONPIRACIES ", they would naturally conclude that here on DCP there are a lot of posters  and commentary here that we are discussing/ complaining about DCI's judges being involved in intentional malevolent attempts  to deceive fans/ Corps with their scores/ placements. However, this has NOT been an issue here on DCP at all.. not this year, not in recent years. Its true that DCP does sometimes get a bad rep. Sometimes that rep is undeserved. Your titrle of your new thread here creates a false narrative, and one that frankly has not been an issue (  alleged" DCI Judging conspiracies" ) on DCP at all. DCP and our regular posters here can NOT be held responsible for what is posted on OTHER sites, where all manner of ridiculous " conspiracies " tend to be posted re. DCI/ DCI Judging.

If this was a section of DCP that was dedicated to local band contests, a discussion about archaic minded judges are sometimes secured for modern artistic contests would be warrented; and I would be in 100% agreement with DeusEx.  But this is the DCI WC section of DCP; and that is the context we should place the comments about why certain judges need to retire.  That has been my point since the get-go.

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Not on DCP though. I havn't witnessed any commentary here on DCP of late ( last couple of years ) that there is any sort of organized DCI Conspiracy among the DCI Judging community. If you have seen this as an issue on other  " forums",.. other " social media " have you posted this in depth commentary of yours on THOSE forums?

But there is.

There's plenty of commentary here, week-to-week during the summer season, through various threads, alleging all sorts of things.  A rececnt one that comes to mind is regarding a [particular judge] judging [a particular caption] putting [a particular corps] against XYZ unit(s) in 123 rankings and seeming "off" by many people.  

Not going to link it.

Were you there?  Do you know the sheets?  What would you have done differently if you were in his/her place?

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Not on DCP though. I havn't witnessed any commentary here on DCP of late ( last couple of years ) that there is any sort of organized DCI Conspiracy among the DCI Judging community. If you have seen this as an issue on other  " forums",.. other " social media " have you posted this in depth commentary of yours on THOSE forums?,,,, where this DCI Conspiracy within the DCI judging ranks is sain onm there, that is alleged to exist. The reason I reply this way, is that sometimes DCP here gets a bad and unfair rep out and about. And if some infrequest visitor to DCP was to read your title here .. "ENOUGH ( with the )  DCI JUDGING CONPIRACIES ", they would naturally conclude that here on DCP there are a lot of posters  and commentary here that we are discussing/ complaining about DCI's judges being involved in intentional malevolent attempts  to deceive fans/ Corps with their scores/ placements. However, this has NOT been an issue here on DCP at all.. not this year, not in recent years. Its true that DCP does sometimes get a bad rep. Sometimes that rep is undeserved. Your titrle of your new thread here creates a false narrative, and one that frankly has not been an issue (  alleged" DCI Judging conspiracies" ) on DCP at all. DCP and our regular posters here can NOT be held responsible for what is posted on OTHER sites, where all manner of ridiculous " conspiracies " tend to be posted re. DCI/ DCI Judging.

There was a lot of head-scratching in the finals thread about how Cavies leapfrogged with a show that couldn't have even started had the electricity gone out, and how BD didn't win any music captions but still won overall music in semis (not sure how it played out in finals, I just don't care enough about scores anymore to be bothered).  There was some tinfoilhatting going on there, but most of that was actually buried underneath someone ragequitting because Cavies don't allow females (which I think was probably more salt over Bluecoats dropping a spot than actual misogyny).  I don't really know if there was any conspiracy talk going on over in r/drumcorps, because the CJ is even stronger there than it is here, and I try to avoid it.

That said, I've been lurking here a long time and I can't recall any threads about judging conspiracies.  Plenty of threads about deaf and blind judges, however. :P

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

If this was a section of DCP that was dedicated to local band contests, a discussion about archaic minded judges are sometimes secured for modern artistic contests would be warrented; and I would be in 100% agreement with DeusEx.  But this is the DCI WC section of DCP; and that is the context we should place the comments about why certain judges need to retire.  That has been my point since the get-go.

But this does relate to DCI World Class judging, along with other marching arts.  So this is appropriate.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

That said, I've been lurking here a long time and I can't recall any threads about judging conspiracies.  Plenty of threads about deaf and blind judges, however. :P

Good.  That's why you should consider trialing.

10 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

But there is.

There's plenty of commentary here, week-to-week during the summer season, through various threads, alleging all sorts of things.  A rececnt one that comes to mind is regarding a [particular judge] judging [a particular caption] putting [a particular corps] against XYZ unit(s) in 123 rankings and seeming "off" by many people.  

You conflate a poster or two ( or even a Corps ) having an issue with a particular judge ( such complaints have gone on both before and after DCI started.. and is nothing new ), with your title that thinks there are many posters ( or Corps ) on here that believe there is an organized, group " conspiracy " among the DCI judging community. Surely, you must know the difference between a complaint ( real or imagined) with a particular alleged judge " bias " and a group " conspiracy ". I know you are ok with snarkiness, so I won't ask you to go look up the definition of a " conspiracy" with a solitary person's alleged " bias". But I will, if you are not sure of the stark difference between the two.

Edited by BRASSO

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

I know you are ok with snarkiness, so I won't ask you to go look up the definition of a " conspiracy" with a solitary judges perhaps " bias".

You're not being snarky, you're just having bad manners at this point.

A poster or two... Heh.  Okay.

• Like 1