Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

So lets look...Semis, SCV 99/99, BD 98/98  finals BD 98/98...so literally unchanged. SCV 97/96.

So to that judge, vanguard did not have the night Saturday they did Friday, and because of the performance issues, they didnt get as much credit for book.  

How would that finals judge know how a corps did the previous night in the caption they are doing?

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

But how many would say that Saturday night was not as good as Friday night, unless they had the scores to support their confirmation bias? If people viewed Friday night thinking it was Saturday night and only had the scores from Saturday night, would they disagree with the scores, since the performance on the field in reality yielded a different result than the scores in front of them did?

i'm not a guard expert so I dont know if it was better or not. I know honestly I once won a title and our best run of the year was at rehearsal at before prelims. Prelims itself we #### the bed, and finals was way better, but not what saturday morning's run at the rehearsal site was.

I'm sure there are guard people who agree Saturday night wasn't as good, I didnt look. But then again, how many BD fans still think they got robbed in 08, 11 or 13? often times "better" is in the eye of the beer holder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

I will answer, because that's impossible to achieve to everyone's satisfaction. The final cumulative score rank, for that particular event is all I consider. I know what happens within smaller caption focus will vary greatly from day to day, person to person. Even the corps performance, per day, differs in quality.

By the way, I was hoping for a SCV win this season. Of all other competitors, I thought Blue Devils were closest to them in every regard leading to who will win.. On THAT Indy night, Blue Devils garnered a higher cumulative score. . . . . so it was Blue Devils. Who knows, 24 hours later, the winner might well be SCV.  

agreed. if numbers stayed the same upward path for all, slotting is the war cry. Then when things change, inconsistency is the war cry. You cant win no matter what

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

You said yup, so can ya please direct me to the score and caption in the last two DCI WC seasons recaps where a boot and skirt wearing high stepping color guard placed higher than the newer modern artistic spandex dancing guard in the top 12?

sure as soon as a guard trots one out.

Just because they arent used doesnt mean the commentary and rationale spoken by the judges doesnt mean their preferences arent crystal clear. Look at these forums...how many people want say the Cadets to be the Cadets, or the Troopers to get back to being The Troopers...some udges want corps to be that corps, no matter what. your problem is you're trying to be too literal, and asking for things you'll never truly see. I'm sure you've judged with people who have loudly stated their preferences, and seen it show up in their results.

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

And I am sorry but that is just not acceptable to me. Especially since the results seem to favor one drum corps over another.

but you see they really dont.

What you refuse to get is the sheets changed 3 years ago...largely because oif the uproar over BD's success and the style of shows they were doing. So, BD altered their show design....it's become a lot more fan friendly to fans of all corps, not just the BD faithful. And, it paid off...BD's still getting wins. Just because BD wins 18 times now doesnt mean there's blatant favoirtism with the entire judging community.....it shows their staff knows how to design to whatever the current sheet is, and get their kids to perform to the best levels possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

While I hear you, do you know how many times over the years that long time DCI Judges Deb Torchia and Marie Czapinski have been raked over the coals here on DCP for their alleged judge " bias " ? If you are a newbie to DCP you might not be aware of it.  But if you have been on DCP for a few years, you know that these 2 female judges has been publically criticized dozens of times over the years. Hardly a season goes by now that some regular DCP'ers will not single one or the other of them out... by name on here... for this alleged " bias ". So its rather peculiar that suddenly NOW we are being asked not to go public with any OTHER judge names that might have some " Ageism " issues or " judge bias" issues, or other " issues " regarding their judging.

and neither of them ever got what Chuck King got when he judged LOL

20 minutes ago, Ghost said:

How would that finals judge know how a corps did the previous night in the caption they are doing?

well if they really wanted to know...recaps are available to the world again

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and neither of them ever got what Chuck King got when he judged LOL

Just one MORE reason why the request to not name judges NOW regarding their alleged " being too old " ( ageism, no matter how we slice it ) or other alleged judge " biases " issues seems rather peculiar. I'm ok with not naming judges that the OP is referring to here, just feel that the need to not now name these judges with these alleged " biases" never seemed to stop DCP'ers before on here .

Edited by BRASSO

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well if they really wanted to know...recaps are available to the world again

Yes, but wouldn't they have had to watch closely the previous nights corps, then put down their caption scores based on how they thought each corps did in comparison to the previous night?  Pretty impossible to do I'd say.