Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

41 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Yes, I understand that, but I feel nobody is trying to see the larger point I am trying to make and are just nit picking around the edges.

Now I know this is hard for DCP but attempt to take what I am about to say outside of any context I might have made at any other point in this thread and let this statement stand alone and assess the premise.

I am trying to illustrate the differences that open DCI judging up to more questions than the other subjective sports that its being compared to. That main difference is the lack of objectively defined compulsory items a corps would have to do. That lack of compulsory items leads to more weight being put on the pure subjective opinion of the judges. Yes there is terminology that attempts to create some sort standard, but when there are multiple correct approaches (i.e. Crown vs BD brass) there is no consensus in which standard should be held.

you're not making your bigger point clear because you keep adding in YOUR personal preference.

other activities are set up to have required complusories. Drum corps isn't. if every corps were required to have a set tempo, a company front, a color pres....then your point would have merit, but it's not. No show should have required elemnts becuase...well, thats what we used to have, and even then, the judging system had clear subjective bias inherit to it. No one persons tick matched anothers, and no rulebook specifically spelled out what a tick was so all could universally call it out. And you still had GE to boot!

Oh and show design got kinda tedious....shows all looked and sounded alike.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Did you read my assessment of other years?

yes and the same applied.

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

Other activities are set up to have required compulsories.

ContrFart should look up the history of Figure Skating, how it got its name, and why it was drastically changed in the Olympics.

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you're not making your bigger point clear because you keep adding in YOUR personal preference.

other activities are set up to have required complusories. Drum corps isn't. if every corps were required to have a set tempo, a company front, a color pres....then your point would have merit, but it's not. No show should have required elemnts becuase...well, thats what we used to have, and even then, the judging system had clear subjective bias inherit to it. No one persons tick matched anothers, and no rulebook specifically spelled out what a tick was so all could universally call it out. And you still had GE to boot!

Tell me in that isolated statement is any personal preference?

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'm am not saying I want compulsories, I am saying the lack of them puts more weight on pure subjective opinion.

I am just trying to point out the inadequacies in the system, I'm not proposing any fixes.

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

We read your post that stated you could not set your personal preference of D.M.B. aside to place the H.C.J. Big Band or the C.S.O. ahead of D.M.B. if they happened to be in a contest going head to head; We read your posts that you do not feel qualified to adjudicate, again partly because you cannot place personal bias aside as much as humanly possible; We read your posts where you think corps got robbed; if you mean reading those in context with all other postings, then yep, we also read your other assessments of other years.

I'm through addressing you. You are condescending, rude and smug. 

14 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I only referenced your posts, added nothing to your quotes, never made any personal remarks, posed direct questions based on your own claims within context of other things you post, asked you to support why your evaluations are better than the judges, asked you a math question because you divulged your career choice, placed your math answer in context with adjudicating ... and all of that is me being condescending and smug? Okey Dokey then.

Edited by Stu

23 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Tell me in that isolated statement is any personal preference?

show design did kinda look all the same. not preference, it's fact. go watch 6 shows in a row from 1975

17 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I'm am not saying I want compulsories, I am saying the lack of them puts more weight on pure subjective opinion.

I am just trying to point out the inadequacies in the system, I'm not proposing any fixes.

well no.

did you see the link i put up to the sheets? Right there every sheet has criteria on what is being judged. And again, in every judging system DCi and drum corps period has ever had....there's never ben ONE truly objective system, and the only way you can get it......is to make each corps do several of the same things in their show.

16 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

oh please. He can be far worse

• Like 1
  • Haha 1