Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

they did all kinds of skits based on the past including the longest news segment ever LOL

I missed it. Had to be weirdly funny seeing one 70 year old call another 70 year old an ignnorent *****! Did Garrett Morris do his recap for the hearing impaired?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I see what ya did there; very 'punny''

no the little one and I had just watched Loony Tunes and Bugs used that line. I thought it applied

:laughing:

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no system is perfect. But about that medal thing:

sure it took Crown and Bloo a while to get there. SCV is in and out, and now Cavies and Cadets aren't a lock. Phantom medaled in the last few years. So add them in with BD, and you have 7 corps who have medaled in the last 7 or so years. fighting for 3 spots. and now you see Boston looking like they could knock on the door. The competition at the top is pretty tight. I mean, if you look at the history of DCI there's two guarantees:

SCV will make finals

BD has a #### good shot at the top 3.

Is that the system's fault, given how many systems have been used since 1972, or is it that those corps consistently put out a product good enough to achieve that consistency?

Its more of an overall structure thing than a judging thing when put into your context.

IMO there will never be a corps that goes from 12 to 1 in an single year because of many reasons including housing sites, performance order and top tier talent wanting a ring migrating to one of a few corps. Boston is probably going to come closest

On 8/25/2017 at 1:31 AM, ContraFart said:

Its more of an overall structure thing than a judging thing when put into your context.

IMO there will never be a corps that goes from 12 to 1 in an single year because of many reasons including housing sites, performance order and top tier talent wanting a ring migrating to one of a few corps. Boston is probably going to come closest

and really, when in the history of drum corps have you ever seen a corps jump like that?

Closest one I can think of where I marched, the Westshoremen 10th, just squeaking into DCA Finals in 1994 to 2nd in 1995.

• Like 1

On 08/25/2017 at 0:31 AM, ContraFart said:

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and really, when in the history of drum corps have you ever seen a corps jump like that?

Closest one I can think of where I marched, the Westshoremen 10th, just squeaking into DCA Finals in 1994 to 2nd in 1995.

Madison Scouts

14th 1972 3rd 1973

6th 1987 1st 1988

14th 2002 8th 2003

15th in 2009 10th 2010

Phantom Regiment

23rd 1972 7th 1973

11th 1974 2nd 1975

10th 1986 5th 1987

8th 1993 3rd 1993

5th 1995 1st 1996

*dropped 1st 2008 9th 2009

*also had dropped from 2nd to 10th from 1975 to 1976

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Madison Scouts

14th 1972 3rd 1973

8th 1979 1st 1980

6th 1987 1st 1988

14th 2002 8th 2003

15th in 2009 10th 2010

Phantom Regiment

23rd 1972 7th 1973

11th 1974 2nd 1975

*dropped 2nd 1975 10th 1986

10th 1986 5th 1987

8th 1993 3rd 1993

5th 1995 1st 1996

*dropped 1st 2008 9th 2009

Just FYI, this is factually inaccurate (unless you're deeming some point other than Finals at the championship). Or unless you mean a corps other than Madison (or a year other than 1980).

I'd add SCV 1980-1981 to the list, but the 1980 placement was far more anomalous relative to surrounding years than the 1981 placement.

Edited by ftwdrummer

31 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Just FYI, this is factually inaccurate (unless you're deeming some point other than Finals at the championship). Or unless you mean a corps other than Madison (or a year other than 1980).

I'd add SCV 1980-1981 to the list, but the 1980 placement was far more anomalous relative to surrounding years than the 1981 placement.

Thanks for that 1980 Madison catch. I was looking at a different show on the From The Press Box site. I did a double check on all of the rest of Madison and Regiment placements that I posted, and they are accurate to both From The Press Box and DCX Museum (formally corps reps). My point still stands that there have been variable huge shifts in a corps placement from one year to the very next year.

Edited by Stu

I watched the Chiefs Seahawks pre-season football game and these observations came to mind: 1) a facemask grab by a Seahawk was missed by the ref but the retaliation by the Chief was penalized (judges do miss things); 2) during a challenge there had to be a determination based on the video if the bobbled ball on a Chief's catch was enough to overturn the call in the field; it was determined that while the ball did move it was considered as still under control (judges call on video replay is still subjective). 3) there has been a rule change on penality of celebration; it will be assessed if it is determined that the offense collectively celebrated or if anyone taunts (complete subjective). And there were many more things which could have been cited. This is all related to DCI in that in all competitive activity there are elements that are both missed and subjective to the play on the field; and for me, I relish the human factor in both the performance and adjudication.

Edited by Stu

Thanks everybody for a great discussion.  It's been a week since this was posted.  I'll see you folks around.

May I kindly request that a DCP forum moderator locks this thread?

Edited by DeusExGreenMachina
Grammar