Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

If I had to choose a word to describe this thread, obtuse would be it

Appreciate the feedback.

5 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

If you judge outside of the expected norm, which is by definition determined by the very corps you are judging, guess what: you won't be judging. The entire activity is built to enforce the will of the most powerful and successful organizations. That includes the judges.

Most of us want to believe in the results. All in all I think the judging community is trying to do what is right, but we fall into the realm of human emotion. 

1 minute ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

@ContraFart Interesting.  The wild placement of the individual captions is why corps are placed all over the place.  No idea why there are conspiracies.  Caption scores tend to be all over the place.  I tend to think the general public don't look at the recaps from show-to-show.  Some interesting stuff.

@MikeRappIf you judge outside the expected norm and back up your numbers and commentary of course you're going to be judging.  What?  I don't understand what you're suggesting.

Judging is a subjective activity. It's not addition and subtraction.

The sheets exist to create a wanted outcome. When six corps determine the desired outcome, and agree that the sheets should bring that outcome to bear, who is stupid enough to judge outside of their expectations? You can "back it up" all day long but the corps directors can back it up by hiring someone else who "gets it." 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Very simple, simple, question: Out of all the 'current' DCI GE Judges, how many are not keeping up with the changes properly and should retire; how many?

As in my original post, "many."  If that includes you, it's up to you.  But hopefully not since you seem to be involved in plenty of discussions.

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

If I had to choose a word to describe this thread, obtuse would be it

I am just trying to get a simple answer to a how many 'current' DCI judges are out of touch with artistic changes and should retire.

3 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Most of us want to believe in the results. All in all I think the judging community is trying to do what is right, but we fall into the realm of human emotion. 

Absolutely the judges are trying to do what is right.

But what is right is ultimately determined by the very corps that they are judging, and those very same corps are paying them. What I'm saying is not that judges are dishonest or manipulative, but they are human, and at a certain level only doing the job the corps directors are paying them to do.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

When six corps determine the desired outcome, and agree that the sheets should bring that outcome to bear, who is stupid enough to judge outside of their expectations? You can "back it up" all day long but the corps directors can back it up by hiring someone else who "gets it." 

#### good point.

6 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

As in my original post, "many."  If that includes you, it's up to you.  But hopefully not since you seem to be involved in plenty of discussions.

So, if 'many' DCI GE judges should retire because they are out of touch with artistic changes, why is it that the corps which have exhibited the most drastic artistic changes over the past few years been rewarded on top by those same judges? Traditional designs are not being rewarded, but new progressive designs are.

Edited by Stu

Just now, Stu said:

So, if 'many' DCI GE judges should retire because they are out of touch with artistic changes, why is it that the corps which have exhibited the most drastic artistic changes over the past few years been rewarded on top by those same judges?

What can I say to you to stop asking me these questions?  This is what, number five?  Getting kind of tiresome @Stu.  I've obviously triggered something.

7 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

#### good point.

Be the GM for the Heat or the Cavaliers, and tell LaBron James how the franchise should be run and see how that works out for your job security. You may win every battle but you will be #### canned by the end of the season.

Edited by MikeRapp